What's new

Are you a "one razor guy"

Not a one razor kinda guy. I like playing with new equipment entirely too much. As things stand right now, my Slim and Red Tip are neck-to-neck as favorites. I have an ATT S2 on the way that might change things up but I doubt it (I'm just hoping I'll now have 3 favorites). And, my pre-war Fat Handle Tech is in my car travel bag as a favorite vacation razor. I doubt it'll be displaced as it's cheap and easily replaced if I accidentally leave it on a hotel sink - and gives nice mild shaves that require little concentration.

Your photo reminds me of where my "collection" was in 2007....
In all honesty I have to admit that a few years back I was a one-razor-guy. For 18 months starting in 2010 I only used my Feather AS-D1. This hurt my technique to the degree that I couldn't use my then favorite blade, the Yellow Russian Gillette.

I have since then realized that a small rotation of distinctly different razors is what I need. After a brief period of trying straights made of Swedish steel I have settled on my vintage Gillette rotation.

All razors are in use so it's a rotation, not a collection.

$Feather.jpg

34C. It's all I need!

Personally, I've never felt the need to collect and acquire multiple razors and equipment. I have found that introducing too many different razors, blades, creams, and soaps into my shaving routine just seems to encourage lousy shaves. I'm all about finding what works and sticking with it. "Mixing it up" too much just doesn't work for me, I've found. The more I stick with what works, the more consistently I get smooth, irritation-free shaves - which is why I switched to DE shaving to begin with!

The 34C just works well for me. I love the convenience of the two-piece design, the knurled handle, and it's comfortable in terms of aggressiveness.

Last edited:
Thanks for for all the responses so far, gents! It's really neat hearing the perspectives from both the one razor guys and the many razors guys!

Yes, I'm new (about a month), but I can't see why razors would end out any different than my other "things". I get interested, read a ton, buy a few well-researched examples to experiment and then settle on one as The One that sees almost all my use. Happened with fountain pens (Conid Bulkfiller), watches (Stowa Flieger), pocket knives (here it's two: Chris Reeve Mnandi in summer and a GEC Huckleberry Boy's knife in winter -- I'd carry the GEC in summer too, but it's so humid here in NY that it requires daily oiling to keep rust at bay). In shaving I began with a 1950s SuperSpeed, but added a rhodium replated NEW after just a couple of weeks. It shaves plenty close in just two passes and I have no desire to acquire others (I could perhaps be tempted to try an open comb ATT or Wolfman, but would have no trouble ditching them if they didn't shave as close and as comfy as the NEW does). I may end out trying a straight at some point, but would imagine I'd end up with just one favorite of that too. It's just how I am I guess -- I love nice things, but really don't want or like to keep acquiring after I found one I am truly content with.

Your description of your approach to "things" is so close to mine it's scary! I'm the exact same way whenever I get into something new. So when I got into DE shaving I knew it would follow that pattern, and it has.

I'm definitely a one razor guy. I use an ATT Atlas S1. I can't imagine a better shaving razor. I use it every day and I have learned how to get a perfect shave day in and day out. I've only owned a couple of razors and I'm done buying them.

I'm noticing a pattern here in how many fellow one razor guys have found an ATT to be "the one." :001_smile From the first shave with my Kronos R1 I couldn't imagine even wanting to shave with a different razor. It just felt so perfect for me.

Yep, I'm that guy. Was a NOS Gillette Rocket that I sold in a moment of sheer stupidity. These days a Feather AS D2. I used to have RAD and owned many, many razors, including some wonderful NOS Gillettes. Eventually sold them off after acquiring the Feather AS D1. Upgraded to the D2 shortly after they were released. Sold off the D1.

So yeah, I'm a one razor guy though I must confess to owning a second one that is dedicated to my travel bag. Makes life easier. The Feather AS D2 has the right combination of feel, comfort, closeness, and appearance that works well for my face.

For the most part yes. A Merkur Slant with an Astra SP but I've grown fond of my Gillette Slim with a Feather blade. Finding some great combinations

I started with the Merkur 23C, and then the 34C (didn't know that the 23C was a 3-piece, and the HD was a 2-piece). It was much better than cartridge, but something was still "not quite there" yet. I know my technique isn't perfect, but after much research I decided on the ATT Slant (got the combo of the S1 and S2) with the Atlas handle. I can tell you that the ATT S2 is my first OC, and is now my main driver and beside trying some stuff for my curiosity would probably be my last razor.
Keep in mind that the handle does make a difference! The shave with the Atlas handle was great, but when I tried the Ikon Bamboo handle it turned into a stellar shave. Maybe it was the size, maybe it was the weight, but suddenly it just worked with no pressure at all. Usually I'm done after only one pass, even with long stubble. My go-to blades with the ATT S2 are either the Feathers if I'm dealing with at least a week's growth, or an Astra SP for daily use. Lately I'm trying the Gillette 7 o'clock sharp edge and they are the best so far.

Mergress almost every day. Perhaps once every couple of weeks I pull something else out of the collection. Last time it was the Black Beauty.

I'd like to think the Mergress is The One, but I keep getting drawn to find something better, hence a Razorock Stealth Slant and an Ikon 101.

ATT is probably the next target.

Last edited:
I'm definitely not a one razor guy. I've got about 20 vintage razors that I have yet to try. But if you held a gun to my head and told me to pick one, right now I would have to say a NEW LC.

I am definitely a many razors guy, not because I am looking for the perfect razor, but because I enjoy the variety.

I have a few razors but last few weeks I've only been using my slim. For the ones I have I think it's the one I want to use all the time..... for now, I am one of those that is looking for just that one razor, who knows if that will ever happen.

Sorta, but not technically. I use a Joris and a Fatip Grande. They are different razors, but the heads are nearly identical (it looks like the Joris has a tiny bit more blade exposure). The main difference is the handles. I basically bought the Fatip because it was a low cost Joris and I wanted a razor with a gun metal finish. I have a Merkur 23C, but I don't touch it anymore. I have no interest in pot metal razors, sadly (yes, I know it's just the head that is pot metal).

Sorta, but not technically. I use a Joris and a Fatip Grande. They are different razors, but the heads are nearly identical (it looks like the Joris has a tiny bit more blade exposure). The main difference is the handles. I basically bought the Fatip because it was a low cost Joris and I wanted a razor with a gun metal finish. I have a Merkur 23C, but I don't touch it anymore. I have no interest in pot metal razors, sadly (yes, I know it's just the head that is pot metal).

Were it not for my Barbasol clone, my FaTip Grande just may have been my one-razor. If the Piccolo had a faceted instead of cylindrical handle, I may well have been in your two-razors-but-really-one-razor position! :a17:

Until just recently, I was a 1-2 razor guy. I had one DE and one straight. Now, i actually have 2 DE's. Even seems a little bit excessive for me right now. LOL
'

Top Bottom