What's new

Vaseline/uranium glass anyone?

As an artist I have some experience with these pens but mostly for calligraphy. I am however, a lover of antique glass and vaseline/uranium glass, and stumbled upon this on eBay.

proxy.php

Are there any other antique lovers out there?

My wife is crazy about vaseline glass. While she's digging around at the antique stores for her green glass finds (she carries a portable black light with her), I look for the razors. We love antique stores!

I have been a neon glass artist since 1986. I have a small stash of uranium glass that is quite unique, and looks best (when lit) color-wise when photographed with film. Don't really know what digital capture does to it. It has a unique color.

I googled what Uranium glass is and now have a new AD.
I first saw Uranium glass at the Corning glass museum in Corning NY. It was behind Plexiglas with a Geiger counter that was PEGGING! The tour guide said that it is UNSAFE to be around if the item is much bigger than a small ash tray. They had a pitcher and a few glasses if memory serves and that Geiger counter was screaming for all it was worth.

Geiger Counters typically have a scale setting that you can use to make even low levels of radiation (like the calibration disks) peg the scale and make the counter scream. It was probably set to make for a good display.

Legion

Staff member
Geiger Counters typically have a scale setting that you can use to make even low levels of radiation (like the calibration disks) peg the scale and make the counter scream. It was probably set to make for a good display.

This. When my father was in the army they would test if a Geiger counter was working by waving it over the luminous numbers and hands on their watches.

Top Bottom