What's new

Identifing Celluloid Scales

I have W.H.Morley $ Sons with translucent, near transparent yellow scales. The hinge pin is missing a back side washer. There is no tension when open. The blade is in good shape. After b-hone and strop, it shaves very well. I have 320, 400, & 600 grit Mirka brand sandpaper [made in Finland] to begin polishing.

But the scales... sickly yellow, dirty. A chip reveals organic-like layers, similar to a damaged finger nail. Reminds me of those flying cockroaches we have in the South.

Is this celluloid? I don't want to acetone test. It seems a destructive procedure, melting the piece so I can say," Yup, that was celluloid". Any cautions about CLR, alcohol, or bleach? Dawn dish liquid got some gunk out, but I'm not happy yet.

$WHMorley scales..jpg

When I purchased my Poor Man's Strop From WhippedDog.com, it came with a packet of oil.
I'm not sure but it might be Neatsfoot!

I do visit Lowe's quite often.
Hard not to stifle my inner dialogue as I move thru the store.
I managed an Eighty Four Store during the mid to late '80's.

$may I help you.png

a lot of the time for reference, if you give suspected celluloid a rub with your thumb and sniff you may well smell camphor

Suspecting the age sapped the smell, I did the rub but detected none.
A neighbor planted a camphor in their yard decades ago.
I keep cutting down baby trees that sprout in my azaleas. I know the scent well.

Top Bottom