What's new

Very usefull Jnat categorization

I agree. I love seeing guys put in that much effort to explain something like that to a 白人愚か like myself who can't read moonrunes.

They sell on ebay. Been trying to move Mauroyama stones for years now.
The charts are seriously lacking in accuracy.

The charts are seriously lacking in accuracy.

I think that the charts and everything is very usefull and very precize
The grit size can work diferently as we all know
I like this page as they make an efforts as Alex Gilmore does to explain things , in general
This is veery usefull for the new guys and for us lso ,, i think

Anyone can think what they want.
Factually, his subjective reasoning and glaring omissions in his strata listings are laughable.
Look - I have nothing against the seller, I've discussed a few things with him through the auction site's message system. He's more of a woodworking type of guy/seller and I'm guessing he puts a damn fine edge on a Kanna blade.

Well Keith i have no responsability for the thuthfulness of the content . The site looks pretty informative , thats why i open the thread , to be into the system also .
For us notknouledjeable members , can be great introduction .

The information on this site can be interpreted and an over-simplification or an under-simplication depending on your point of view and/or experience. The pictures are cool though.

I think that this is a place for people that dosnt know , nothing for those stones
Why everybody haz to read almost everything uploaded in 3 general rorums - Straight Razor Place , Badjer and blade , and Razor and stone , like i did . To invest tens ant thousends of hours reading , just to slightly understand .
I think that the time of - thrust me , i know what you need , is over and the people now are more aware with the Jnats
I dont say that the dealers arent right , just it is usefull to have something to beggin with

If misinformation and fairytale subjectivity are your thing, thats cool.

Well that wasnt very nice , and everybody sees diferently throu his eyes , Keith = I bett that there are people that can say the same for your site , man
I notice that strange feeling began to escalate , between the Jnat dealers and i dont see reason for it

Good info, If someone doesnt like it who cares? Take what you like and leave the rest just like any other info. No one is starting a cult are they? It was a good read and good info for sure Nobody has all the answers. It may be that someone thinks they do though.

I think that this is a place for people that dosnt know , nothing for those stones
Why everybody haz to read almost everything uploaded in 3 general rorums - Straight Razor Place , Badjer and blade , and Razor and stone , like i did . To invest tens ant thousends of hours reading , just to slightly understand .
I think that the time of - thrust me , i know what you need , is over and the people now are more aware with the Jnats
I dont say that the dealers arent right , just it is usefull to have something to beggin with

Well that wasnt very nice , and everybody sees diferently throu his eyes , Keith = I bett that there are people that can say the same for your site , man
I notice that strange feeling began to escalate , between the Jnat dealers and i dont see reason for it

In fact, Keith goes out of his way on his site and in his writings to avoid speculation, superlatives, conjecture and unsubstantiated metrics and probably why his is pushing back on this information.

Keith's comments helps me read the data with a more enlightened approach.

Great link thank you for sharing. Most of us aren't high flyers when it comes to Jnats and honing. These is precious for learners.

Whether ultra-precise or not is irrelevant IMHO since we don't need to submit a doctorate in honing, but enjoy a nice hobby and share as much information as possible amongst gentlemen shavers.

Thank you once more !

The water is water and sort of wet but not totally wet, like it wasn't water but still really is.
Or it might or might not be depending on how I feel.

Rusen
Thanks for posting that link. I totally appreciate the effort that was put into creating that web-page by a person who's first language is japanese and who's attempt to describe in english a very broad amount of information on a complex subject. I would suggest that in this case it would hold true that this person has forgotten more about the sharpening stones in Japan than I will ever learn. My only suggestion for him/her is that the presentation was too broad and that it could have been broken up into several pages with more specifics. A Page on Western Stone, another Page on Eastern Stones, and a Nagura Page and so forth.

I see this fellow in the photograph at the Kezuroukai in Japan and he is one of the family that manages the Maruoyama mine in Kameoka to the west of Mt. Atago. Their mine is really about the only mine out there that is still active and they tapped into a shelf of Hon Khuci Naori strata that seems unique and is about 10 miles away as the crow flies from the main Hon Kuchi Nori in Umegahata. Unique in that it is detached from the main naori, but also if I am not mistaken it is inverted or upside down meaning the the Hon Suita layer is first and uppermost and the Aka-pin layer is last or lower in the mines sequence. Their family is trying really hard to sell their stones and I myself admire this. They allow visitors and give sharpening lessons for free. I wish them luck and I appreciate that their information, like on the linked page, is first hand information, not information gleaned from other internet sources and then bundled into a slick production website. The natural stone business is tougher now then ever before and they are giving it an honest try.

Alx

Last edited:
Alex,

He's actually pretty available to talk ton on Facebook too. Posts lots of pictures of his shop and sharpening classes and seems to have a pretty impressive output of rock!

Top Bottom