What's new

.40 vs 9mm?

A good friend of mine was shot through the leg with a .45 a few years ago. It was a negligent discharge from a (then) friend of his that sent a 230 grain jacketed hollow point through his leg, just missing the femur and femoral artery. It went through and through and when he recalls the incident he states that it didn't hurt when he was hit and he initially didn't notice it had happened and also that there was absolutely no feeling of his leg being shoved in any way. His conclusion, which has played a role in helping me form opinions of my own, is that stopping power in handguns is a myth. Handguns are inherently underpowered so shot placement is key. If you need something that does more, you need a rifle or a shotgun.

I was on the receiving end of a negligend discharge nearly 20 years ago. A .380 auto went off and the bullet a hollow point struck a steel rod, glanced off and hit the big finger in my left hand. The bullet must have struck the rod slightly off center because when I found it the next day, it was flattend and when it struck me must have been more like a very dull knife edge. The finger bone, between knuckle and first joint was broken in 3 places, so it took a little over an hour of surgery and several pins to put things back together, then about 6 weeks of therapy to regain function and straighten it out. When the surgeon took the pins out I carved a splint out of a small piece of cherry wood, that fit across the palm of my hand and all the bumps and curves of the finger so I could wear it and straighten the finger which had taken on a bad curve like a permanent fist. My surgeon said that they could not make or supply anything nearly as good as what I made for the purpose. Now the finger is perfectly straight, a little stiff but I have 100% range of motion and use

When I was struck, I did feel it, but absolutely no pain, just like something had grabbed my hand hand give it a quick hard shake. My wife took me to the ER in our little town, where it was assessed, and cleaned, and my ER doc, friend, arranged for the surgeon in a nearby town about 35 miles away, so they wrapped it and my wife drove me up there. I never experienced any pain , and only some minor discomfort when the surgeon pulled the pins out with some med vice grip pliers( I thought they were a bit large and got him a set of the real small 4" size which he likes)

Personal preference I guess. I have both the Glock 19 and 26. I was trained on both, very easy to clean and take care of. I assume the 40 cal is the same except bigger round.

In Glocks the 9's have a edge over the .40 in the number of KB's due to the better supported chamber. Not that there are a lot of them, I've only ever seen .40's go boom.

Own both. Like both. My S&W .40 carries better but Glock 26 9mm offers 3 more rounds and is a more "pleasant" gun to shoot.
The best choice is really what you prefer after shooting/evaluating both.
$image.jpg$image.jpg

As a firearms instructor and tactical trainer, and someone who carried a weapon for the last 15 years, I say what is more important than caliber is practice. I think a person that practices regularly with a .380 is much better off than someone that carries a .40 or 9mm who shoots them once a year. My advice to anyone looking to purchase a firearm for self defense is rent or borrow both the .40 and 9mm and shoot booth several times AFTER you have taken a basic firearms class or two. Or have someone with experience take you out and teach you. Find what you are comfortable with and practice, practice, and practice some more. And not just standing at 15 yards punching holes in paper. Practice some moving drills. Practice shooting after you run around the range to simulate what it will be like shooting with your heart pounding and being out of breath. Learn how to disassemble your weapon and properly clean it. And read the book "On Killing" by Lt. Col. David Grossman. You can not prepare too much for this endeavor.

Shawn

As a firearms instructor and tactical trainer, and someone who carried a weapon for the last 15 years, I say what is more important than caliber is practice. I think a person that practices regularly with a .380 is much better off than someone that carries a .40 or 9mm who shoots them once a year. My advice to anyone looking to purchase a firearm for self defense is rent or borrow both the .40 and 9mm and shoot booth several times AFTER you have taken a basic firearms class or two. Or have someone with experience take you out and teach you. Find what you are comfortable with and practice, practice, and practice some more. And not just standing at 15 yards punching holes in paper. Practice some moving drills. Practice shooting after you run around the range to simulate what it will be like shooting with your heart pounding and being out of breath. Learn how to disassemble your weapon and properly clean it. And read the book "On Killing" by Lt. Col. David Grossman. You can not prepare too much for this endeavor.

Shawn

I agree 100%. I would rather go to a gunfight with a friend carrying a .22 who shoots daily, doing these kinds of drills, than a friend who has a .45 that lives in the dresser drawer.

I own one .40 --for one reason only------------.40 will be the only ammo available when the next panic hits. Its a S&W SD40VE--its a good gun and I got it cheap.

Up to 6 or 7? 9mm handguns---I'll have to check----boils down to higher capacity---easier and cheaper to shoot. Have been on a revolver kick lately--recently acquiring 22LR/22Mag--.357 and .44mag handguns

I own a .40 cal and the reason I chose it was because my sons own them as well. We practice together and shoot together so sharing a common caliber is great for lots of things. each of us has had 9mm in the passed and I suppose when you get right down to brass tacks, there isn't a lot of difference that is truly important. Shoot what makes you happy and choose a gun that makes you happy.

I think the message has been said enough that its practice that makes the weapon effective not the size of the bore. Life's too short to shoot ugly guns so find something you like and shoot it til its red hot

I think the message has been said enough that its practice that makes the weapon effective not the size of the bore. Life's too short to shoot ugly guns so find something you like and shoot it til its red hot

It's better to find something that fits your hand -- looks are secondary. :laugh:

Go Glock 26 and then use Glock 19 mags in it with the mag extension. You get a sub compact with 15+1

Here I am shooting mine...

$ray-glock-26.jpg

Top Bottom