What's new

Grandfathers watch- any information

This was my grandfathers watch. It was given to me when my dad passed away. I took it out tonight and wound it up and was please it still works and keeps time.
can anyone give me any information about this piece. I want to get a band for it and start wearing this classic ticking watch! $image.jpg

Belforte was a lower prices line made by Benrus
That doesn't shock me. My grandfather worked three low paying jobs simultaneously to provide for his family until he was completely bedridden from a series of strokes at a fairly young age. My dad stepped up to help provide for the family, while maintaining a high GPA in school which afforded him scholarships to college, grad school, and a PhD. Now both my grandfather and father have passed away, I am honored to have this piece.
what band would do it justice?

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I would go with a simple black leather band, not super shiny, maybe an alligator pattern

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
That doesn't shock me. My grandfather worked three low paying jobs simultaneously to provide for his family until he was completely bedridden from a series of strokes at a fairly young age. My dad stepped up to help provide for the family, while maintaining a high GPA in school which afforded him scholarships to college, grad school, and a PhD. Now both my grandfather and father have passed away, I am honored to have this piece.

Great looking watch from a great man. I, too, would go black leather strap with this. Do you have a local watch guy who can give it the once over?

A family watch is an invaluable gift IMO. Congrats! I'd go with a matte finish alligator/croc strap. Ostrich is nice also.

Thanks for the input. Here is the new band picked up by a jeweler. It runs and keeps time. He wants $300-$500 to do "preventative maintenance " . I said I will wait. I've never heard of that.
$image.jpg

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Thanks for the input. Here is the new band picked up by a jeweler. It runs and keeps time. He wants $300-$500 to do "preventative maintenance " . I said I will wait. I've never heard of that.
View attachment 605955
Lance:
Awesome heirloom timepeice you have! :thumbsup:

"$300-$500 to do "preventative maintenance" from a 'jeweler' (which he/she will most likely 'send-it-off' to get repaired), is a rip-off. :001_huh:

First, when you need to get your timepeice serviced...I would seek a 'qualified and experienced' watch repair service (skip the 'yeah-hoos' at the Mall...they would have no idea 'what time it is'). :001_rolle

These types of establishments would have the 'in house' knowledge, experience and expert advice (certified at the rank of 'Master Horologist', and a accredited Quartz Watch Technician with the National Horological Institute), for all types of time pieces (new, used & vintage), and maybe have some watches for sale.$Watch Repairman.jpg

proxy.php
"A person with one watch knows what time it is; a person with two watches is never quite sure". Lee Segall

Last edited:
The Count's advice is correct--you shouldn't have to pay anywhere near that amount for a cleaning/oiling/adjustment, esp. as your
watch is running and keeping time.

I spent more on a COA for my dad's old Elgin than it is worth for the same reason you value your grandfather's timepiece--

My fathers 1952 Felca brand watch was serviced by the manufactured (Titoni) in Switzerland. Striped, re plated in 9crt gold, cleaned, serviced etc, came back like new including postage £125.

$Dads Felca  incabloc.jpg

Great story about two giants. Glad you have this watch to remember them.

Around here (SE AZ) and in TN jewelry shops charge $100 and up for a COA. When you consider they probably send them out (not many true watchmakers left) IMO that is too much.
I am constantly in search of retired/hobbyist watch folks in my area. If you are lucky, you will find one who will do a COA for $70 or less.

Problem is, many are in their 80s, and no longer take work--
OT--If anyone knows of a reasonably priced watch guy (mail order or in SE AZ), pls LMK!

Apologies of OP for hijacking his thread:blush:

Congratulations on the watch and good on you for wearing it and keeping it in the sunshine! There aren't very many men like that any longer, wear it with pride!

Who is the National Horological Institute? I've heard of the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors, the American Watchmakers-Clockmakers Instituye, and I am a member of the British Horological Institute, but I've never heard of this other organization.

Training as a quartz watch technician will not, in any way, equip someone to work on this gentleman's watch as it is a hand-wound mechanical.

Anyone who thinks $100 is too much for a quality service on a watch has never tried to do one themselves, or priced any of the necessary tools or materials. When I service a watch like the one above, it takes a minimum of 5 different lubricants, each of which costs at least $20 per milliliter (!) and you would be shocked at the cost of some of the required tools. $65 for a pair of tweezers? Really?

I am NOT a watchmaker, merely a hobbyist. I don't mean to offend anyone with any of the above language or information. If my language is too strong, please accept my apologies.

I do agree to avoid the mall kiosk, and look for a qualified watchmaker to provide service, either an AWCI certified CW21 (Certified Watchmaker for the 21st Century) or a graduate of BHI or SAWTA schools. Jewelers RARELY employ one. And while $300 is too much, $100 is probably too little. I never take anything to someone who doesn't value their own service.

Lance:
Awesome heirloom timepeice you have! :thumbsup:

"$300-$500 to do "preventative maintenance" from a 'jeweler' (which he/she will most likely 'send-it-off' to get repaired), is a rip-off. :001_huh:

First, when you need to get your timepeice serviced...I would seek a 'qualified and experienced' watch repair service (skip the 'yeah-hoos' at the Mall...they would have no idea 'what time it is'). :001_rolle

These types of establishments would have the 'in house' knowledge, experience and expert advice (certified at the rank of 'Master Horologist', and a accredited Quartz Watch Technician with the National Horological Institute), for all types of time pieces (new, used & vintage), and maybe have some watches for sale.View attachment 605968

proxy.php
"A person with one watch knows what time it is; a person with two watches is never quite sure". Lee Segall

My local fellow, a man in his 60s, charges about $150 to $250 depending on the amount of work needed (I collect WWI era trench watches and British War Department marked watches). I tried to branch out but the next nearest shop seems to cater to the techies in Seattle as he wanted $500 for a basic service and a 3 month wait time. However, I'd say $300 is about the max I've ever paid and that was because an old mainspring broke, it needed servicing, and the winding stem had snapped, too (some of those things you find on E-bay and wish to rescue...!).

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Who is the National Horological Institute? I've heard of the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors, the American Watchmakers-Clockmakers Instituye, and I am a member of the British Horological Institute, but I've never heard of this other organization.

Training as a quartz watch technician will not, in any way, equip someone to work on this gentleman's watch as it is a hand-wound mechanical.

Anyone who thinks $100 is too much for a quality service on a watch has never tried to do one themselves, or priced any of the necessary tools or materials. When I service a watch like the one above, it takes a minimum of 5 different lubricants, each of which costs at least $20 per milliliter (!) and you would be shocked at the cost of some of the required tools. $65 for a pair of tweezers? Really?

I am NOT a watchmaker, merely a hobbyist. I don't mean to offend anyone with any of the above language or information. If my language is too strong, please accept my apologies.

I do agree to avoid the mall kiosk, and look for a qualified watchmaker to provide service, either an AWCI certified CW21 (Certified Watchmaker for the 21st Century) or a graduate of BHI or SAWTA schools. Jewelers RARELY employ one. And while $300 is too much, $100 is probably too little. I never take anything to someone who doesn't value their own service.
Scott:
My mistake...I misspoke, but anyway...thanx for the info and your support! :thumbsup:

proxy.php
[FONT=&amp]"One must learn to govern time...not be governed by it". CBJ[/FONT]

Last edited:

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Scott:
The only reason I stated this was because I had used this Vendor (Watch and Pen), by referral a few times (good prices too), while I was stationed & residing in Fredericksburg, VA (hey...but what do I know
proxy.php
). :001_rolle

Read More: http://watchandpen.com/id76.html

[FONT=&amp] "Time is what you read from a watch". Albert Einstein[/FONT]

Last edited:
Top Bottom