What's new

TrueFitt & Hill Mens Hair Management Products: COMPREHENSIVE REVIEW

Hello Gents;
What is that old saying, being in the right place at the right time?

I am fortunate enough to have been asked to give a comprehensive review of the "Hair Management" Products from Truefitt & Hill. Many of you are already familiar with this Gentlemen's Grooming line on the shaving side, but may not know of the products both new and recently released that are offered on the Hair Management side. I am a pomade user, both water & oil based, hair tonics such as Vitalis and Jeri's, as well as some of the standards such as Groom & Clean and Brylcreem.
This review will give an overall impression of the following Truefitt & Hill products:

• C.A.R. Hair Cream (without oil)
  • Textured Clay (Brand New)
  • Styling Wax (Brand New)
  • Pomade (Brand New)

I will use each product for a period of 4-days straight with both an initial impressions and final thoughts at the end of the 4 day review period. I will also post pictures in that final review of the usage amount and final styled hair picture, as to show hold, sheen, matte and overall impressions of manageability throughout the day..

Products will be judged on the following criteria, and rated on a scale of 1-5 of these guys::thumbup: with one being the low end of the scale.

• Amount of product needed.
  • application & grooming ease.
  • Fragrance (if applicable).
  • Hold over a full days period.
  • Sheen.
  • Ease of removal and re-application or re-activation.
  • If product layering is needed.
  • Performance

I will not be getting into the ingredients list during the review as I will post a link to that at the end of the Entire "Hair Management" product review. Nor will I be getting into the Price, or Price per ounce, as this is subjective on where purchased, and what it may be worth to the individual user. Being from Truefitt & Hill, pricing is has certain expectations based on the quality of this Company.

The review will begin 10.7.2015, with the 1st comprehensive post review of:

C.A.R. Cream without Oil

With a final comprehensive review of each product following the 4-day review period with some initial posts throughout. A summary review will be posted at the end of the complete review of all products.

proxy.php

*PLEASE NOTE*
I am in NO way affiliated with Truefitt & Hill, its employees or corporate management or entities, and all opinions expressed are my own based on this review period. Also NOTE, this is not a Badger & Blade sponsored review.

During this review period I will also be using Truefitt & Hill Shaving products, as I have not tried them before. these short reviews will be within my SOTD posts, if anyone is interested.

Hope you will enjoy this review, and thanks in advance for following this thread.

Regards Gentlemen.

Last edited:
Looking forward to your impressions! And good on T&H for reaching out to the community for input.

Thank you Dave. I will be following this thread with interest. The C.A.R. cream has been around for a LONG time. I strongly suspect it is not the same formulation as it was decades ago. This is the nature of commercially manufactured toiletries. I used some a few years back and it was okay but honestly, I don't remember exactly what I thought about it. At that time I was using greaseless hair tonics exclusively. It will be interesting to read your experience with it.

As to T&H shave products, I have used both the shave soap and shave creams. The soap was average to me but I was still rather inexperienced with it. The shave creams were another matter. Unless they have mucked with the formulation the creams were better than any other British house I have tried. I do not count Castle Forbes in that lot. I give it to the Scots even though they are still part of the UK. T&H creams performed quite a bit better for me than Trumper or Taylor. I am not a cream user but if I had to use one it would be T&H. Okay, enough. I don't want to influence your thoughts about the shaving products and certainly with the new hair dressings it will be most informative to just sit back and read.

Greetings:

To control any variable, other than humidity or weather, the following will be the base line for all products in regard to pre-application routine:

Shower - Shampoo & conditioner
Towel dry.

Arizona, begin normally very dry is at the end of the Monsoon for us and we were pounded by a thunderstorm around 0430 so the humidity levels for today is in the 60-70 percentile, and cool for this time of year with highs in the mid 70's. I work indoors, in an air conditioned environment so humidity throughout the day should not be a big factor.

Ok, I wear my hair short in what I guess the new kids are calling a "Executive Contour". to me it is just short, parted on the side. I use a vent flow brush for initial styling, and a Kent 182 mm Coarse/Fine hand cut comb for final styling, and a Kent 85mm fine folding pocket comb for any re-style. That will also remain consistent through he entire review process.

1st impressions:

I was, at first a bit taken back by the initial hit of fragrance. Although very nice it was extremely powerful, and I was concerned that it would over-power my AS and or EDT/cologne / Parfum that would be applied later. This was not the case as the fragrance dried down rather quickly to a nice subtle "Barbershoppy" scent an in no way affected the other variables.

It is a reasonably thick cream , however maintains a bunch of moisture. Not knowing the amount to try, I referred back to what I normally use with Brylcreem, or Groom & Clean,so about the size of a Dime. This was not enough as it absorbs very quicky, but has a very nice conditioning effect.

proxy.php

For my hair a quarter size dollop was sufficient.

As stated earlier the cream absorbs quickly and has nice overall feel. it can be applied both on damp, or dry hair. I opted for damp as it is part of my normal routine with other pomades and tonics.

I would classify this as more than a tonic, but less than Bryllcreem in consistency. Somewhere in-between. Overall it has very little shine and now 6 hrs later it has become more of a "dry hair' look, but holds reasonably. Day 2, I will apply on dry hair to see if there is any performance difference.

This product in my opinion is very nice for a relaxed, very light hold, and would be good as a base layer, or with some hairspray for those wanting an all day hold. Again, the Fragrance dries down very nicely and did not compete with the T & H 1805 ASB / Cologne.

The most outstanding thing I noticed is the hair feel during the day so far, very easy to reactivate and does provide, again a light hold.

These photos were taken just after initial application and have no other product or hairspray. Although as mentioned earlier it is such a light hold, that this is a good base layer, or alternatively hairspray could be used.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Overall 1st day impressions:

Amount of product needed - :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
application & grooming ease - :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Fragrance (if applicable) - :thumbup::thumbup:. after dry down - :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Hold over a full days period. N/A will report on this on Day 2
Sheen.:thumbup:
Ease of removal and re-application or re-activation - N/A , again on Day 2
If product layering is needed - :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Performance - N/A deferred until end of Day 4

A very nice 1st day, not quite the hold I desire, but indeed very manageable and for a relaxed day, or for those that do not like the look of product in the hair, this is perfect, and again the most outstanding key was the softness, yet hold of the product albeit light.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always been a fan of T&H creams and have one of their earlier brushes. If I had more hair I would try their hair products! :w00t:

Dave, good work. The C.A.R. Cream is about like I remember it. Maybe a bit more translucent these days but not much. And your description of the hold is about as I remember as well.

As an aside, after your trial you may want to try just using a hot water rinse the next morning. If memory serves the cream is water soluble and a good rinse is sometimes all I need. I know this is not what you need to do for the reviews since you have to be consistent. I am just throwing it out there.

Thanks Todd, I appreciate the feedback. I am a habitual shampooer so any water based item is gone the next day, and when using regular pomades I usually build up for about 4-days and do the olive oil and dawn soap cleanse via Marco's method. I do this whether they are oil based or water based. It ill be interesting after this to see how the T & F oil based pomade works. Again thanks for following and the comments

The only issue I've had with some of these products is the slightly greasy/unclean feel after applied. The better products allow your hair to feel clean while applying styling hold. Will be interested in how the pomade works for you.

As mentioned in day one, I would report as to the overall staying power of the cream over the day. At 2330 yesterday evening the hold, although very light was still rather nice, and again the hair felt very soft and conditioned. I believe part of this was due to the application on damp hair as you will see, or the dry hair application.

Followed the same routine as yesterday to ensure a unbiased, and equal review from day to day. After shaving and allowing the hair to dry completely, An amount similar to yesterday was placed on DRY hair.

Noticed immediately that It was absorbed, but , again made the hair extremely soft, and the fragrance was very good and as yesterday dried down very quickly. Rather than placing more product, I wanted to use the same amount as before to give a relatively equal review as far as amount of product.

First off, If you like the dry hair look, and the feel of nothing in your hair, but with a very light hold, with no greasiness, and just soft shiny hair, then this is the method I would recommend. Perfect for a lazy Saturday, or the natural " go anywhere hair style. As this will not hold even in the lightest of breezes and will even argue with you just combing it.

If you want your hair to stay in place with this method, you will either need to wet it, or use a sprits of hair spray, but again as a base layer or just to have your hair feel good, this is great.

proxy.php

Initial Application on Dry hair, absorbed immediately

proxy.php

again, after initial application, even with combing hair fell where it wanted

proxy.php

The dry look, but again hardly any hold at all, but hair felt great!

proxy.php

Final Grooming Stage with hairspray.

Summary: If you like the dry, natural look, where your hair determines where it wants to go, the messy look, or as stated earlier just a nice lacy afternoon, the the dry application is the way to go, a bit of hairspray will hold everything in place.

The biggest take-away from Day 2, is the fragrance, and the way this makes your hair feel to the touch. Very soft, healthy and again as if your stepped out of a barber shop.

I personally would not use this method very often, except for the weekends, but I like a more shiny, crisp look to my hair for day to day.

It was commented that some of the problems with these products was the feel of greasy hair. If that is the case then This one is a winner for you.

until Tommorow.

Based on results and overall performance, I am going to stop the Review of the C.A.R. Cream at Day 3. Based on results from the last three days it is felt that we can make a good overall summary of the product.

Today, I went back to the application on damp hair, followed by a light misting of hair spray as we have winds today in the 30 - 40 MPH range. used the same quarter to half dollar size amount and again it absorbs quickly and just makes your hair feel conditioned, soft. This is unlike most of the products that I would place in this same category such as Brylcreem, Groom & Clean, Clubman Gel, Jeri's Hair tonic, Vitalis, etc.

The most notable accord when compared to those listed above is there is no heaviness, no greasy feeling, and a very nice overall hair feel. Although I did not try this, I would assume even if you do not wash your hair every day, that this product would give you the feeling of clean hair. I like the stuff.

Here are the final performance reviews and recommendations on who at what hair styles would benefit from the Truefitt & Hill C.A.R. Cream. ( I have replaced the thumbs, up smileys with just the smilie as there is just too much movement and I wanted people to follow this thread, not get a migraine:lol:

Overall:

Amount of product needed - :001_smile:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile
application & grooming ease - :001_smile:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile
Fragrance (if applicable) - :001_smile:001_smile:001_smile, Some may find the initial fragrance over powering, but it dries down very nice
Hold over a full days period - :001_smile:001_smile - Very light hold, but can be supplemented with a strong product or hairspray
Sheen - :001_smile:001_smile:001_smile This is the outstanding part of this product is that you can decide. If you like a medium shine, place the product on damp hair, if you like a dry easy look, apply on dry hair and style, or you can place on damp hair and cob through about an hour later and you will benefit from the dry hair look with a fairly nice hold.

Ease of removal and re-application or re-activation - :001_smile:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile, this is a no oil based product so there is no build up, will wash out very easily with shampoo or even just water. Re-application is very simple, and it dies re-activate with just a bit or product and will also re-activate this great fragrance.

If product layering is needed -:001_smile:001_smile I do think this world best as a base layer to another pomade, or hairspray, unless of course the style you are looking for is more natural and enjoy your hair just laying in its natural state

Overall Performance - :001_smile:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile

OVERALL RATING - :001_smile:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile and a :001_smile:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile if you like a lighter natural dry look

Summary:

The Truefitt & Hill C.A.R. Cream is a fantastic product, under the right usage and for a certain group that overall wants a natural look, or a little more refined look if willing to use as a base or with mid-day re-activation, or with hairspray. What stands out to me is the overall consistency of the cream, and most notably the way it makes your hair feel. It does add a tad of body, but allows the hair to feel light and conditioned. There is no greasy feeling at all, and it makes your hair feel healthy.

As mentioned before the fragrance is strong at first, but dries down to a nice Neroli, Citrusy finish that will not compete, and may even enhance any AS, EDT, Cologne, or parfum you may decide to use. Over the last 3-days, usually around mid day, I would catch just a hint of the fragrance, which was nice as it does re-charge you a bit.

Today in fact, I switched up my shave routine from the Total Truefitt & Hill Shave and used SVN 70th Anniversary Soap and ASB. Surprisingly after my shave and while applying the C.A.R. cream, I noticed the fragrance is almost spot on with the SVN and it was perfect.

The C.A.R. cream does make you and your hair feel very refreshed and I will be using it as a replacement to my normal base of Jeri's Hair Tonic.

For you oil based, or non oil based tonic alone users, I would strongly recommend trying this you might be surprised.

NEXT UP:

Truefitt & Hill Textured Clay - A brand new Product.

Last edited:
Happy Saturday Gents.

Today was the 1st day with the New Hair Product in the overall review of the Hair Management Products from Truefitt & Hill. This is a new product for the market, and admittedly I am surprised and very impressed with the initial impressions.

proxy.php

Based on the Title "Textured Clay", I was a bit intimidated to try this out, having no idea what the results would be, or how it would make my hair feel. My normal stable of product include a wide array of Pomades, tonics, and hydrids that stick mostly to the traditional i.e. Clubman Gel, Groom & Clean, Brylcreem, Prospectors, Murrays, Sweet Georgia Brown ETC.

So looking at the ingredient list the 1st two standouts are petrolatum, and bentonite. Plus beeswax, glycerin and so forth. So my assumption was it would have a similar texture and feel to Royal Crown and or Murrays.

As we all know Murray's can be a handful until it is warm, and taking a look at the initial can, I thought I may be in for a battle, just getting the product smooth enough to apply, not to mention having a comb strong enough to get through the hair. Boy was I wrong!

The packaging indicated to take a small amount between the fingers and apply to damp of dry hair and create a textured "matte" finish. I was skeptical based on the ingredients. I chose the damp hair method for day 1.

After washing my hair, shaving and re dampening my hair I took a small snurdle from the container (see pic below) and immediately prepare for the battle to smooth it out in my hand. Interestingly is smoothed very quickly and was almost invisible in the hand ( see pic below)

proxy.php

proxy.php

It opens with a light cologne scent, not as strong as the C.A.R. Cream, however very very nice, with notes of Lime, Bergamot, and neroli, and a base of what to my mind seemed to be sandalwood & Oak Moss. Again not so powerful to complete with a AS, or cologne, but more to compliment it.

In looking at the texture and the feel in the hand I was expecting to really have to work this into the hair to get it distributed. To my joy it just flat our reacted to my hair and was very easy to distribute and although my hair was very damp upon application it immediately absorbed most of the moisture and began to have its promised matte look.

I normally like more a sheen, or shine as it were, but was pleasantly surprised by the look. The initial brush run through was easy, although you could feel the product hold, and the subsequent combings were very easy.

The part was very defined and as it dried down I could tell there would be no other product needed for a very strong and all day hold, however with the natural matte look, so may enjoy.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Again, similar to the C.A.R. Cream the hair felt very soft, healthy and unlike some pomades that really weigh the hair down. I waited about two hours and ran a dry comb through the hair and it restyled very easily, however it was not needed. I waited another hour and ran a damp comb though it, and it shined up a bit, but them settled down to the matte finish again.

The fragrance was still present, but did not compete, in fact, complimented the T & H Grafton cologne I was wearing.

Overall 1st impressions are very good, the product is easy to work with, the hold is amazing with no other product needed. We are under some fairly windy conditions today and after being out in the yard the style held, but yet felt good to the touch. Almost if the hair had a memory as funny as that sounds. Easy to comb through, easy to manage and will not have some folks afraid to get near you in with the fright of getting Greasy :lol:

Day 2 will bring the dry hair application, but if as good as Day one, this is another product that would be recommended for the following.

Someone who enjoys a matte look
Someone who textures their hair with fingers rather than comb or brush ( the messy, but good hold look )
Someone with short spiked hair, or flattop that wants the look without the crispiness
Folks that like the dryer look but have a hard time keeping their hair manageable
Someone that wants one product for an all day hold, that look natural with a matte finish.

The next few days will also give me a chance to see build-up properties and ease of removal. So Far very nice.

See you tomorrow.

Last edited:
Dave, a great finish up to the C.A.R. cream review and a very good and interesting start to the Texture Clay section. I was more than a bit surprised to see the main ingredient of this pomade, and it really is one, listed as petrolatum. Most of these companies are doing anything and everything they can to use modern ingredients and nomenclature to stay away from what are perceived as 'bad' or questionable ingredients. Petrolatum is still one of the best pomade bases going.

I am most happy to see T&H taking a more traditional approach to ingredients list with this product. I was afraid we'd see something that looks, smells, and performs like any of the overpriced glop you see at the boutique counters at Dillard's or Nordstrom's.

When I started using traditional pomades last year I quickly discovered I cannot use the products like Murray's that have excessive shine. Typically brought about by having things like olive oil or mineral oil higher than third or preferably fourth down the list. Both Murray's and Reuzel Green were a disaster for me and both list mineral oil second. Much like olive oil works as a solvent in Marco's hair washing routine for grease based products, it makes sense they do the same in your hair. The mineral oil 'melts' the petro a little and gives dark haired guys that awesome glow to their hair. My sandy blonde hair does not do at all well with that look. So when you said this dried down matte on damp hair I took real notice.

I know better than to get the knickers in a knot over one review posting but this is of great interest to me. I will be watching your follow ups on Texture Clay closely. If it is no trouble, would you mind to list the first five or six ingredients? I am also hopeful we can find samples to buy somewhere. I am no cheapskate but I also don't want a $35 paperweight either! Hair dressings are more YMMV than even aftershaves and that is saying something.

Great work Dave. I am really enjoying this thread.

Todd:
Thanks Todd, your comments are appreciated. Here are the ingredients in order for the top 5
Petrolatum
Berntonite
Beeswax
DMES (dicaylil ethylhexel stearate)
Glycerin

I also know lighter hair colors will have a tendency to look dirty with shiny finishes. However although my hair is medium brown ( and Gray LOL) thios may be a good option on lighter hair, because it actually had the appearance of my hair being a bit lighter in color, and even now the hold is tremendous. This I believe will build up a bit and can see the Dawn/Olive oil claify after the 4 days, but so far it

Just a note gents, for those that are curious. Again, was asked by Truefitt & Hill to review these products both new and existing. These items were supplied by Truefitt & Hill specifically for this review, since I had never used their products, but quite experienced with Pomades and other hair care products. It ensures a non-biased review to benefit those members who are interested in finding out more.

Just wanted to clarify and thanks for following

Good Afternoon:

Day 2 with the Textured Clay. Surprisingly, the build up of the product was quite fast, but in a good way. Was still easy to shampoo and condition, but you could feel the product still in the hair, especially with the Petrolatum, and Bentonite clay components. Today would be a dry application to note any differences in overall performance of the product.

Again, I personally like a look with more sheen, but this product is growing on me for a few reasons.
  • The hold is fantastic, without feeling stiff, and remains easy to re-style even after wearing for over 12 hrs
  • it adds quite a bit of body and volume (especially with the dry hair application)
  • does not take a ton of product to get the style and coverage needed, nor does it require more application throughout the day
  • It would be perfect for lighter, thinner hair, and would remain natural looking without the dirty look.

Today, Normal shampoo and condition, shaved in advance to let the hair be completely dry before application. I used approximately the same amount as yesterday.

1st off it is a bit more difficult to spread through dry hair, however the outstanding part is that you can get a high volume textured look with our any use of a comb or brush. So for those of you that like the messy, spiked, of layered look this would be perfect for you.

Being a dry application, and suiting the hair style I prefer does require a bit of patience. The vent flow brush tackled it easy enough, followed by the coarse grain comb and finally the fine grain combing. Again the volume and body this adds while applying to dry hair is wonderful and if needed could also give you that "blow dry" look and would be barely perceptible of having any product in your hair.

It does remain matte after final styling but did notice it did add a bit of sheen, however it looked just like healthy clean hair and not the "Shine" that most pomade will give you, nor the really flat "Matte" finish that some do.

Overall a good day experimenting with the Textured Clay, and it should be noted again, that this product does contain ingredients that will cause build up, but for most pomade users this is a good thing. The speed of the build-up is surprising here and it will be interesting what it will be on day 4.

Almost assuredly it will require a Dawn/Olive oil clarification, as most pomade users are accustomed to, Only one bad (if you can call it that) thing I noticed with a matte finish and dry hair application. I realized at 50 how gray I am beginning to get:laugh::lol:. Where when doing a wet look it is a little less apparent. My wife calls it distinguished, although I suspect she is just being nice:blink:

Pics Below to see the difference between wet and dry application and the differences are very small so I would break it down like this.

• Wet Application: For a more close look, a bit more refined, but enjoy the matte finish
  • Dry Application: For more body and volume and a little dryer look to you hair, and for those that want a non-comb or brush look just using their hands, or any other style that you care to go crazy one as it WILL mold and hold that look whatever it is.

Finally it should be noted, that my wife used the product before we went our last night, and being she has color treated long hair (from Brunette to Blonde), she immediately noticed a volume and body change and her hair look natural, with no clumpy or dirty looking areas, and she did NOT have to use any other products to keep the style all evening. She was very happy. So for those of you that may have lighter hair this might be a good choice.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sorry for the blur on this shot, but it is off my Iphone and the phone slipped LOL.

See you tomorrow gents for Day #3 of the Textured Clay review.:thumbup1:

~Dave

Another great post. You know Dave, I get the same effect of highlighting the grey hair or five that now seems to have infiltrated my scalp. Against my sandy hair you cannot see it dry but any oil based pomade will bring it out. The wife likes it but it just reminds me I am over fifty.

Today, I went back to the wet method of application and the build up was very noticeable when shampooing, but no more that any other oil based pomade or product. Application to wet hair is confirmed to be a bit easier, however even with damp hair the matte finish is still very apparent, but with a bit more sheen, as the build up continues. Hair is still manageable, and the hold is still fantastic.

I did note that after the two days of build up the drier method may be better, as it is showing come signs of "clumping, however that may be due to the fact I forgot to do the final style with the fine tooth comb, as I was in a hurry to get out the door.

Today, I also took some shots after about 2 hrs with the product in, and outside to give a better idea of the overall sheen , or lack thereof on a damp hair application.

So far, this is a good product, the fragrance lingers just enough to be reminded throughout the day. the final day will be applied dry again to see if there is any noticeable difference with the 3 days of build up, and there will be a supplemental review, after the day review, tomorrow evening regarding the cleaning and clarifying process of the hair, as well as the final overall performance review of the product.

Todays application photos:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Cheers Gents

Dave, great photos. They really show off the haircut and how it is styled with the product. That's a good example of a side parted slick back. At least I think that's what it is called. My hair is cut similarly but I make sure I comb it more straight down on the 'long' side since it looks better that way. Then I flip the front hairline back a bit. More like a contour but length is just shorter than yours. I eagerly await the conclusions.

Wow. It really suits that style well. I like the look. Personally the clumping would be an issue but that's great definition in the hair.

Wow. It really suits that style well. I like the look. Personally the clumping would be an issue but that's great definition in the hair.

Thanks Kevin, Clumping I think is more build up than anything else, if clarified maybe every other usage it would cut down on that.

Top Bottom