What's new

Alum Block vs. Witch Hazel

IMHO the alum does a better job on nicks but the WH is more soothing. Alum can burn a bit and give you feedback on your shave while WH does not burn. I usually use WH and only on occasion use the alum bloc. Some folks like the alum because they say it "tightens" their skin.

If nick bleeds and bleeding won't stop after short time, I use alum. WH is nice on the end of the shave. If I use WH, I often don't use AS.

I feel strongly both ways. I tend to use alum first, followed by Witch Hazel. At my age, I need to have my skin tightened.

I use Thayer's witch hazel after every shave. I used to use alum but my neck area didn't like it. It caused irritation.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I used to use both, and I now only use the WH. I just flat out forgot to rub the alum on a couple of times and noticed that I felt at least as good as when I would rub it on, so I just dropped it from my routine. I still use an alum block to give me some grip and as a deodorant.

As far as feedback from my shave, my face already tells me all I need to know.

I use both, but if I could only go with one, I'd have to pick the alum since it stops irritation on my neck for me. It's a tough call though, witch hazel is good stuff.

I can honestly say I never used alum before. I'll break out the styptic pencil if I have a gusher, which stings A LOT lol. WH though feels great though :)

I'll also use alum if I have a minor incident, otherwise WH to finish. I also find alum can irritate my neck a bit, but it's usually a sign I've gone in too deep.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Alum is good for weepers, beginners in need of feedback, people who just like a little pain in the morning:001_huh: and possibly people with oily skin.

I use Thayer's WH with aloe which is soothing, slightly moisturizing and disinfects. It's good for people who don't like any pain in the morning.

All I've had is witch hazel and styptic pencil.
But I was near an Indian market today so went in and came out with a smallish (3/4 x 1 3/4x 1 3/4 inches) generic alum block for $2.50.
Will give it try sometime soon.

Top Bottom