What's new

Help offered for Filarmonica straight razors

i just realized it was on the pic i posted earlier, but perhaps could have been taken for reflection

proxy.php

proxy.php

i just realized it was on the pic i posted earlier, but perhaps could have been taken for reflection

proxy.php

proxy.php

Yes, but in this case I would guess this hollowing was done more than once, for making easier honing. It was common even for regular honing, although in that case the razor had its life strongly shortened.

Yes, but in this case I would guess this hollowing was done more than once, for making easier honing. It was common even for regular honing, although in that case the razor had its life strongly shortened.

interestingly, i found another "14", not filarmonica, but SIGI with a similar hollowing in my stash

proxy.php

Don't have it yet as it's still coming from a gentlemen in Sweden but picked up another Filarmonica, so this is number 2, the first is a Novodur

So was this made around the same as my first ?

$s-l1600.jpg$s-l1601.jpg

I have a Fili that is customized by Antonio Pedrosa. I was told he is famous in Spain. Have you heard of him or is he one of the artisans you spoke of?

Thanks for this thread Torero80. Very fascinating especially since I love Filis.

Last edited:
It may have been sold in Spain, and maybe even made by filarmonica. They made blades for many (really many) cuttlery stores with their own branding.

interestingly, i found another "14", not filarmonica, but SIGI with a similar hollowing in my stash

proxy.php

Not surprising, it is a Filarmónica Especial Barbas Duras, the most sought after razor in Spain. They were made for barbers, and shave exceptionally well. That one was made for export (size 13 and round point). The tang covered with rubber is supposed to make the prolonged usage of the razor by barbers more comfortable.

In fact I do own a pair of these razors I managed to get in NOS condition, one black and the other gold scaled, 13 size and spanish point, exceptional shavers. I own too many razors and I promised I would sell those two but never find the moment :001_smile, althogh they sell for quite a bit of money, but they are sooo nice.

Tell me about this one. Of the several Filarmonicas I have had, this one hones and shaves best....

I have a Fili that is customized by Antonio Pedrosa. I was told he is famous in Spain. Have you heard of him or is he one of the artisans you spoke of?

Thanks for this thread Torero80. Very fascinating especially since I love Filis.
Antonio I believe used to work for the filarmonica factory, he makes his own razors and does a full hollow grind, very nice razors
Don't have it yet as it's still coming from a gentlemen in Sweden but picked up another Filarmonica, so this is number 2, the first is a Novodur

So was this made around the same as my first ?

View attachment 622109View attachment 622110

This is a late production Filarmonica, it is not JMP stamped, should be fine but near the end of the filarmonica factory the quality control was all over the place

Antonio I believe used to work for the filarmonica factory, he makes his own razors and does a full hollow grind, very nice razors

This is a late production Filarmonica, it is not JMP stamped, should be fine but near the end of the filarmonica factory the quality control was all over the place

What type of quality issues would there be ? It was sold to me as NOS and the blade centers nicely and appears to lay very flat across my lapping plate, the spine looks very even and the bevel reflects that, I actually never noticed that it was not JMP stamped, I need to pay more attention.

What type of quality issues would there be ? It was sold to me as NOS and the blade centers nicely and appears to lay very flat across my lapping plate, the spine looks very even and the bevel reflects that, I actually never noticed that it was not JMP stamped, I need to pay more attention.

Grinds were off, miss matched spines to etching, poor fit and finish.

Never heard the steel suffered though.

If yours is spot on then you got a good one.

Top Bottom