What's new

A "friend" of mine needs help

Hey guys, so I have a "friend" that is struggling with making lather good enough for more then one pass. I.....I mean my "friend" has tried marccos method as well. Bushes are semouge 610 and cheap amazon badager brush.

My question is, what would you recommend to replace the cella with when its all out? Or do you have any other lather making tips for my "friend".

I have definitely found that the majority of my lathering issues are not enough product. Load, load and then load a bit more.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I think more product is the ticket.
When you think "this is good" load it some more. Then when you think "ok this is definitely good" load it just a little longer.

You might try to start with a damp brush and add a few drops of water as you go.

I have tried that before, but I guess I didn't load enough. I even start of softly and pinch the knot to keep the brush a stiffer to help pick up some product. I have gotten a good one pass lather....but then I was my face, scrape off as much water as possiable and then after I relather I can watch it disappear.

This morning I got a good 3 pass shave but I had to go back to the tub for the 2nd pass and 3rd pass....very frustrating lol

Load more product and work it for longer, or you can try face-lathering! There are many great videos on YouTube to assist you. It sounds as though you aren't getting enough product on the bursh.
Good luck. :001_smile

I have tried that before, but I guess I didn't load enough. I even start of softly and pinch the knot to keep the brush a stiffer to help pick up some product. I have gotten a good one pass lather....but then I was my face, scrape off as much water as possiable and then after I relather I can watch it disappear.

This morning I got a good 3 pass shave but I had to go back to the tub for the 2nd pass and 3rd pass....very frustrating lol

This confirms the need for MORE product.

I have this same problem with SOME of my soaps. Because it happens with only some of my (otherwise great) soaps I can assume that my loading technique and brush characteristics are the common thread. Other more experiences folks may be able to elaborate or share solutions that WE can benefit from. I know for certain that I get better lather quantity with brushes that I am less "careful" with, in other words, if I swirl, grind (grind might be the wrong word), whip and paint with the brush too softly I get too little lather, no matter how much I think I have loaded. If I treat the brush a little more aggressively (like I don't care if I kill the beast) I get more and better lather. My problem is, I HAVE killed a badger brush so I am gun shy. (Larry from Whipped Dog said it was probably a bad knot and not my fault).

The only solution I have (because I feel like going back to the bowl mid shave is like admitting defeat) is to load, begin a face lather but stop to reload just a little more and continue to face lather. As I get a pretty darn good lather going on my face, I may switch to a bowl to finish (particularly if I feel like my brush doesn't have a lot of lather in it). Then I will kind of scrap off the lather on the brush, dip the tips in water and finish a good face lather. This usually gets me loads of lather and a good shave because I have a well hydrated lather.

All of the suggestions are good for trying to get the most out of Cella. Cella was the first soap I tried and I never really got a good lather from it either, so I moved on. I'd suggest looking at something that seems to be a good latherer for most people. I moved on to Haslinger Schafmilch which was much better for me.

Have you tried "blooming" your soap? Meaning soaking the puck in some hot water about the same amount of time as your brush. It tends to loosen the top layer of soap to make it easier to load. Once the puck soaks, pour the water off into your hand and apply the bloom water to your face, then squeeze your brush out to get rid of extra water. Then load until all the brush hairs are pretty much stuck together. Add a little more water to your face, then lather up. Keep dipping the tips of the brush to the water until you get that nice slick sheen going on the lather. If this doesn't help I would say you have some hard water issues. I am fairly new to DE shaving, but this method has worked for me perfectly, I've only had a couple of off lathers since I started doing this.

Lots of good boar brushes out there, Omega,Semouge, Burma-Shave, lots of them really. I like Omega brushes myself, others prefer other brands. Never had a synthetic that worked as well as a good Boar brush. But as they say, YMMV!

Marco method is very wasteful. I tried it in a bowl and it had about 3 shaves worth!

I load like I hate it but have enough for a 4 pass shave. About 30 seconds loading with a more than average damp brush.

Plus this depends on the soap. Is cella a crope? With croaps I would do 15 seconds. If you find it to little prodyctproduct, load more.

Oh, and always face lather, it's the future!

Top Bottom