What's new

Just got my "Plisson killers" in.

Hello Gents,

I am a huge Plisson synthetic fan. It's easily my favorite brush. I love the soft feel and don't have any issue with the "floppiness" of the brush. It whips up a smooth, creamy lather with ease and does it quickly.

Now that you understand how much I love the Plisson let's meet today's challengers:

Razorock Plissoft brush - $14.99 (sale price $9.99) 24mm knot 57mm loft
Shaverevolution evolution synthetic - $29.99 (with free soap and brush tube at the moment) 24mm knot 55mm loft
Crown King Tali Long Rider Suave Ipswich pine - $19.99 26mm knot 60mm loft

These all use the same fibers as Plisson with different knots so let's compare.

Razorock - This has much more backbone than the Plisson. I would compare it to the backbone of the Whipped Dog 24mm synthetic but with Plisson fibers. Handle is sturdy and heavy, a little uncomfortable in my hand, YMMV. But for 10 bucks you get the same soft tips as a Plisson with a lot more backbone, this will probably solve the problem that a lot of people around here have with the original.

Shaverevolution - This is the same size knot as the Razorock with a shorter loft. I was expecting even more backbone than the Razorock because of this fact but not so. Hard to explain but it feels like the same floppiness as the Plisson but the increased knot size just makes it denser so the brush feels like it has more backbone. Splays easy but feels sturdier. Handle is fantastic to me, comfortable in my hand and looks great.

Crown King - Same knot as the Stirling "Kong" brush. Huge compared to the original but same great performance. I would compare the backbone the same as I did the Shaverevolution, floppiness overturned by big dense knot. Handle feels great in hand but lighter than the other two due to being wood not resin. Easy to lather and load, still holds a good amount of water just because the knot is so big.

In conclusion:
Love all 3! If I had to only pick one I would probably choose the shaverevolution brush. YMMV and I'll answer any questions that I didn't address here.

Thanks for the review(s). The C.K. and the Shav-rev brushes sound just a little like my HIS brush, which is a very dense, floppy-lofted 28 mm.

If the RR has more backbone than the Shav-rev, I would think (from what I've read here) that it's probably because of the RR's glue bump, which really shortens the loft.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review.

How is the density of the Shave Revolution compared to the Razorock?

I have the Razorock and WD Synthetic in 30mm. From making around 4-5 lathers in my palm, I've noticed the WD produces lather quicker than the Razorock. I'm assuming this is from the higher density of the fibers. What I do like about the Razorock is the backbone; it's not as strong as the WD 30mm and splays easier on the face. If I could find a brush with a backbone similar to the Razorock with the desnity of the WD, I think I'd have my perfect brush.

Thanks for the review.

How is the density of the Shave Revolution compared to the Razorock?

I have the Razorock and WD Synthetic in 30mm. From making around 4-5 lathers in my palm, I've noticed the WD produces lather quicker than the Razorock. I'm assuming this is from the higher density of the fibers. What I do like about the Razorock is the backbone; it's not as strong as the WD 30mm and splays easier on the face. If I could find a brush with a backbone similar to the Razorock with the desnity of the WD, I think I'd have my perfect brush.

Well the Shave Revolution brush has the same size knot as the Razorock so the density is the same, just with less backbone. You might just like the Crown King brush then. Less backbone than the Razorock but a bigger knot.

Well the Shave Revolution brush has the same size knot as the Razorock so the density is the same

The size of the knot is not related to the density of the knot. The number of strands packed into the knot would relate to the density and I believe that's what bananas was asking about.

Hello Gents,

Shaverevolution - This is the same size knot as the Razorock with a shorter loft. I was expecting even more backbone than the Razorock because of this fact but not so. Hard to explain but it feels like the same floppiness as the Plisson but the increased knot size just makes it denser so the brush feels like it has more backbone. Splays easy but feels sturdier. Handle is fantastic to me, comfortable in my hand and looks great.

In conclusion:
Love all 3! If I had to only pick one I would probably choose the shaverevolution brush. YMMV and I'll answer any questions that I didn't address here.

I think you have the knot comparison backwards. I received my Shaver Evolution brush yesterday and used it for the first time this morning. I received my RazoRock Plissoft last week and have used it four times. The Shaver Evolution knot is taller than the RazoRock. I think the RazoRock is either a shorter loft or drilled lower in the handle. I prefer the shorter loft and stiffer backbone of the RazoRock. The Shaver Evolution brush has a similar floppiness to my Plisson L'Occitane brush. The Shaver Evolution handle is much more comfortable than the RazoRock handle. I need a few more shaves with each before making a final conclusion.

Got the shave revolution synthetic yesterday and used it last night. I absolutely love it. The handle is beautiful, tall, and comfortable.

The Shave Revolution performs very well at its current loft, but I can't believe it's 55mm. If it lost a couple more I wouldn't complain. The handle is a nice M7 clone.

I think you have the knot comparison backwards. I received my Shaver Evolution brush yesterday and used it for the first time this morning. I received my RazoRock Plissoft last week and have used it four times. The Shaver Evolution knot is taller than the RazoRock. I think the RazoRock is either a shorter loft or drilled lower in the handle. I prefer the shorter loft and stiffer backbone of the RazoRock. The Shaver Evolution brush has a similar floppiness to my Plisson L'Occitane brush. The Shaver Evolution handle is much more comfortable than the RazoRock handle. I need a few more shaves with each before making a final conclusion.

I was just using the info off of their websites but you are right, the Razorock is shorter than the Shaverevolution. I will say to the other gentleman as well that I do think the density is the same, at least as far as my face can tell, the Razorock just has more backbone.

I just ordered a Razorock Plissoft with the barber style handle, and it sounds like I made a wise decision. But really, any of these brushes sound like top notch performers. Sure beats the heck out of my VDH badger brush!

Top Bottom