What's new

The Macallan 21 Fine Oak

Has any one taken the plunge on this one? Was it worth it? I like the older Macallans allot, and this one has a few years in both bourbon and sherry casks. Sure sounds tasty.

V

VR6ofpain

The Macallan 25 year isn't nearly worth the money. Yes it is smooth, but it is not worth the price tag by a long shot. I think the 12 year is a much better scotch for the money. Though none of these were the new "Fine Oak" labeled bottles.

My 2 cents, the oldest you want to pay for in terms of MaCallan is 17 or 18 year old ranges.

If you are looking for a better Speysider, check out Balvenie, a much better product IMO and a better value.

Let me be the first one to actually answer your question:lol:

I had the Fine Oak 21 at a release event for the range. I was able to try it against FO 10, 15, and the standard (sherry oak) 12 and 18. It is an enjoyable dram but it's not my favorite. It actually had an "over-sweetness" I liken to mid-age cognac. Not very "scotchy" if you know what I mean. Of the Fine Oak range the 15 is far and away my favorite.

Let me be the first one to actually answer your question:lol:

I had the Fine Oak 21 at a release event for the range. I was able to try it against FO 10, 15, and the standard (sherry oak) 12 and 18. It is an enjoyable dram but it's not my favorite. It actually had an "over-sweetness" I liken to mid-age cognac. Not very "scotchy" if you know what I mean. Of the Fine Oak range the 15 is far and away my favorite.

Interesting that you tried them back to back. Guess I won't buy a bottle but Ill still try it. Always good to know what wood can do for whiskey.

Thank you.

I enjoy the Fine Oak 10, from time to time, as it's a surprisingly good value from an often-overpriced distillery. I second that it's not very "scotchy," though, and further second its similarity to a good cognac. To me, it's similar in flavor profile to a lighter version of Remy VSOP. And that's not a bad thing, really. I reach for other scotches when in the mood for scotch, and for the Fine Oak when in the mood for something almost, but not quite, cognac-y. ;)

I have the 15 yo Fine Oak and I have to say it is decent, but personally it is very middle ground, nothing jumps out at you and reminds you why it is so expensive. Personally I would take the money and get a bottle of the Aberlour A'Bunadh. It is non-chill filtered, cask strength, aged in sherry casks and to me reminds me of what scotch really should taste like. I have heard some rumours about the lack of sherry casks, and that is driving this trend to oak, but that could all just be hearsay.

http://www.aberlour.com/abunadh/

I have a bottle of the 25 year old Anniversary Malt in it's little wooden suitcase, unopened. My wife got it for me from a client when she used to do payroll for a liquor store. Still haven't tried it. I think the Mac 18 is one of the best bargains in high end Single Malts.

So i tried the 21 last night and it is interesting. It's not worth the price of a bottle nor is it something I want to stock in my bar. On the other hand it's, like I said, interesting.

In the end, I would rather buy a few Belve' double wood's than one bottle of the 21. Thanks to all who offered opinions.

Top Bottom