What's new

What's with the face lathering snobs?

New guy here. From this site, it seems like face latherers believe that they are more advanced than bowl latherers. :glare:

Are they? Is it a given that I will end up face lathering?

Frankly, I like bowl lathering because its fun and interesting. I get that it may take longer, but if I were in it for the speed, I'd still be using my Atra.

First off, welcome to B&B. In my personal opinion it all comes down to what you enjoy. In the end, it is your time, it is your bathroom, and it is your face. There are many people out there that are willing to give you the reason their way is right. Do whatever you enjoy. My cousin for example strictly face lathers, and doesn't really care to bowl lather. I on the other hand strictly bowl lather with a scuttle and do not ever see me changing my ways. At this point, the only time I'd face lather is if I was traveling. I too find bowl lathering fun. Please use the forums as a way to discuss ideas and find new and interesting ways to perfect your personal shaving style.

Bowl latherer and proud of it. I like the process and enjoy working the lather. I feel I can control the lather better in the bowl. However, occasionally I will face lather with C.O. Bigelow - the eucalyptus straight on the face is invigorating, and it lathers very easily.

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!

Just kidding. :001_smile

At the end of the day, lather however you like. There are some guys on the board that are die hard fans of bowl, scuttle, or face lathering, and sometimes they let their enthusiasm get carried away. I have seen some face lathering love threads where guys comment on how great face lathering is compared to bowl and scuttle, but I suspect you can find just as many enthusiastic guys for the other methods.

I recommend giving all the methods a try, and finding the one that works best for you.

I started bowl lathering when I first started and still do for creams. But I find face lathering good soaps much easier and efficient.

Do whatever works for you. Until I joined B&B I never heard of face lathering and bowl lathered exclusively for more than 50 years. I joined B&B and tried face lathering and now do it 80% of the time.

Everybody believes their own way of doing things is best -- and so it is, at least for them. But I'm not sure I'd call it snobbery, more a strong belief in what they've discovered. Same goes for fans of boar brushes, £200 badges brushes, hard soaps, soft soaps, mild rzors, aggressive razors, AS balms, pre-shave oils... the list goes on.

Entirely depends on what you feel like doing at the time - I mostly bowl lather because I like whipping up uberlathers, but then I'll occasionally grab a stick of Arko and rub it all over my face and lather up there... whatever works for you at the time is the right way to do it :thumbup1:

Just ignore them and enjoy what works for you. BTW, I face lather because I don't have the room to store a bowl. If I did, I might try it. Enjoy your shaves!

linty1

My wallet cries.
Hello and good welcome to you! Personally I face lather because I don't have room on my bathroom counter for a bowl. That and I'm pretty accident prone and I would probably drop and smash something like that.

Over time I've moved toward more face lathering -- but some products and some brushes just lend themselves better to a bowl. Today was a bowl morning.

Believe me, I probably spend more time lathering on my face than most bowl latherers. It isn't about quick or easy for me. I find that I can get that perfect lather on my face than in a bowl. Plus it just feels incredible. But definitely go with what you like the best.

First off, welcome to B&B. In my personal opinion it all comes down to what you enjoy. In the end, it is your time, it is your bathroom, and it is your face. There are many people out there that are willing to give you the reason their way is right. Do whatever you enjoy. My cousin for example strictly face lathers, and doesn't really care to bowl lather. I on the other hand strictly bowl lather with a scuttle and do not ever see me changing my ways. At this point, the only time I'd face lather is if I was traveling. I too find bowl lathering fun. Please use the forums as a way to discuss ideas and find new and interesting ways to perfect your personal shaving style.
+1
I myself like experimenting and haven't hit on what is my favorite yet, but in the end it's personal preference.

Didn't realize face latherers were snobs. I always thought bowl lathering and face lathering were just two different takes on a common activity; not that one was a more advanced or cultured application of the other.

Top Bottom