What's new

"Survival" knife?

Hmmmm.... all the pics I'm posting, I shoulda looked for a "show your sharp and pointy things" thread :lol:

Looks liks you have some nice knife open carry laws in Florida. Here in Texas knives with an edge on more than one side and a blade longer than 5 1/2 inches are illegal to typically keep on your person.

When Camping or hunting until recently when I started collecting more sharp pointy things (thank you b and b) I just had this and it worked very well. It still is worn at my hip every deer season.

proxy.php

Strictly speaking knives are not survival tools. Knives are just that, plain old knives. They are great for cutting, shaping, skinning, they are useless for hammering, prying, pulling, or twisting. I know from first hand experience, and numerous cuts, gouges, and slices, to my hands, feet, arms, legs, and one to the gut. All were acquired while using a knife for something other than what a knife is made to do.

If you want a survival tool, buy a small quality axe, machete, and saw. The three together won't cost much more than some of the knives pictured above. Get a tool bag made of canvass and keep these tools in your vehicle. You will be better prepared and capable of providing yourself shelter, fire, and food in an emergency.

And carrying a canvass tool bag is easy compared to stitching up a severed finger or sliced artery that you will get trying to do the work of a saw, axe, and machete with a survival knife.

Just a word to the wise, from a nut who learned the hard way, take it or leave it!:001_smile

By the way, there is nothing like pulling a three inch piece of razor sharp knife blade from your face after using a knife as a hammer! It is not fun, but it was educational, I'll never make that dumb mistake again!

Last edited:
It depends on where you are, but I find that packing a small folding garden saw is use full, its light and cuts wood very well.
If you are carrying all your stuff a axe as nice as it is gets heavy fast.
I know a guy who likes pruning shears. works well for him.

$Power-Tooth-R-Sliding-Pruning-Saw_product_main.png

Strictly speaking knives are not survival tools. Knives are just that, plain old knives. They are great for cutting, shaping, skinning, they are useless for hammering, prying, pulling, or twisting. I know from first hand experience, and numerous cuts, gouges, and slices, to my hands, feet, arms, legs, and one to the gut. All were acquired while using a knife for something other than what a knife is made to do.

If you want a survival tool, buy a small quality axe, machete, and saw. The three together won't cost much more than some of the knives pictured above. Get a tool bag made of canvass and keep these tools in your vehicle. You will be better prepared and capable of providing yourself shelter, fire, and food in an emergency.

And carrying a canvass tool bag is easy compared to stitching up a severed finger or sliced artery that you will get trying to do the work of a saw, axe, and machete with a survival knife.

Just a word to the wise, from a nut who learned the hard way, take it or leave it!:001_smile

By the way, there is nothing like pulling a three inch piece of razor sharp knife blade from your face after using a knife as a hammer! It is not fun, but it was educational, I'll never make that dumb mistake again!

you mean the gubmint lied to me?

$AF survivalknifeQN-499.jpg

they said this would do it all... :lol:

in seriousness, tho, I do agree :thumbup:

+1 for the Gerber prodigy. Mine is all black and not the tanto version shown previous.
The prodigy is a good price on Amazon. Good weight but not ridiculously heavy. Solid enough to baton wood with it. You can saw away at larger branches using the serrated edge. The sheith has versatile attachment options with molle webbing.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Not your typical "survival knife" but here's mine. Its been with me the last 15 plus years anytime I'm hunting, hiking, camping, ect. It's been everywhere from elk hunts in New Mexico all the way to the Northwest Territories and has held up very well.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 158
Not your typical "survival knife" but here's mine...

Not "typical survival knife" but looks like a great knife. (and would help you survive if needed to)
[kinda looks like an "Arkansas Toothpick" so that rainbow arkie should feel right at home :thumbup:]

P.S. do we have a "show off your KAD" thread? :lol:

I don't disagree using a knife as a tool it wasn't made for is a mistake. There's an old saying that a knife as a pry bar is the most expensive pry bar you will ever ruin. Besides being dangerous as you mentioned.

But... I don't live in a rural area where I have any need to build a shelter or a fire. What I have had to do is cut a seatbelt off a person in an automobile accident--even the LEO at the scene didn't have a knife. And people drown in their cars here when it floods, so having a window smasher is potentially a lifesaver.

The pieces of gear I keep in my vehicle that have come in use during an emergency is bottled water, a blanket/towel, orange cones, headlamp (no one should be without one of these, a hands free light comes in handy), and disposable bic lighters.

Survival gear really depends on where you live and the situations you're likely to encounter.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Not "typical survival knife" but looks like a great knife. (and would help you survive if needed to)
[kinda looks like an "Arkansas Toothpick" so that rainbow arkie should feel right at home :thumbup:]

P.S. do we have a "show off your KAD" thread? :lol:
I used that ark on it a couple weeks ago. i keep it I my pack now and it works great as a field stone.
There's nothin better than sitting around a fire and sharpening something. :thumbup:

you mean the gubmint lied to me?

View attachment 605723

they said this would do it all... :lol:

In the proper conditions used by a trained individual this knife can do it all. It is fully capable of meeting and exceeding everything it is required to do in test and field conditions.

If it can not do something then it was not designed to do that, or is the fault of the operator.

If you feel that this product could be further improved by making it heaver, larger, more expensive, or adding bells whistles or Christmas lights please fill out the appropriate forms and we will give them all due consideration.

In the proper conditions used by a trained individual this knife can do it all. It is fully capable of meeting and exceeding everything it is required to do in test and field conditions.

If it can not do something then it was not designed to do that, or is the fault of the operator.

If you feel that this product could be further improved by making it heaver, larger, more expensive, or adding bells whistles or Christmas lights please fill out the appropriate forms and we will give them all due consideration.

We had these (surplus) as kids. Even then we undestood the limitations and, within those limitations, they performed admirably.
Not a sledge hammer, but can pound a tent stake. Not an axe, but can chop down small (6") trees. Not the best tool for either job, but better than nothing.

Lots of good info in this thread, my thanks to all who contributed.

The knife in the OP arrived yesterday, very well built and fits nicely in the hand. I think we have a winner. (especialy considering the amount of discount he gave me off the lowest price found on the web)

No offense, but that one looks like strictly a skinner and not really up to much of anything else.

For a survival knife, I would pick something like an ESEE-5. More robust and useful as a hammer, to split small wood, etc.

One of my good friends who is an active duty SEAL carries this as one of his three knives and that is all I need to know.

Link to ESEE-5 - http://www.eseeknives.com/esee-5.htm

View attachment 605424

I'm with ya on this. I have one for hunting/survival use, great, heavy duty knife. I little heavy, but you get used to it quickly.

Gerber 31-000583 DMF, nearly identical to what Rick carries on the walking dead.

OK, I know, but it seemed pretty cool when I got it, :laugh:

It was on sale at Wally World, and one never knows when a zombie apocalypse may come!

proxy.php

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by BSAGuy
No offense, but that one looks like strictly a skinner and not really up to much of anything else.

For a survival knife, I would pick something like an ESEE-5. More robust and useful as a hammer, to split small wood, etc.

One of my good friends who is an active duty SEAL carries this as one of his three knives and that is all I need to know.

Link to ESEE-5 - http://www.eseeknives.com/esee-5.htm

Attachment 605424"

I'm with ya on this. I have one for hunting/survival use, great, heavy duty knife. I little heavy, but you get used to it quickly.

I just was reminded (didn't remember loaning it to my son) that I have an early Becker, the one with the grey coating on the blade & made from 1/4" stock. Probably a little heaver than that one, but pretty sturdy and about the same size.

Top Bottom