What's new

"Survival" knife?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
you mean the gubmint lied to me?

View attachment 605723

they said this would do it all... :lol:

They gave you that, and then they told you this was safe ...

proxy.php

If you want a survival tool, buy a small quality axe, machete, and saw. The three together won't cost much more than some of the knives pictured above. Get a tool bag made of canvass and keep these tools in your vehicle. You will be better prepared and capable of providing yourself shelter, fire, and food in an emergency.

And carrying a canvass tool bag is easy compared to stitching up a severed finger or sliced artery that you will get trying to do the work of a saw, axe, and machete with a survival knife.

I'd add a small, folding shovel to that mix and you're set!

By the way, there is nothing like pulling a three inch piece of razor sharp knife blade from your face after using a knife as a hammer! It is not fun, but it was educational, I'll never make that dumb mistake again!

That sounds like an interesting story!!

Legion

Staff member
Another thread here reminded me. When I worked for the War Memorial (museum) here I remember seeing a couple of WW2 pilots flight kit which contained a Nepalese Kukri knife, to use as their survival knife if their plane was downed. From memory these guys were flying over the jungles of northern Australia, Burma, Indonesia, New Guinea, etc.

Last edited:
It depends on where you are, but I find that packing a small folding garden saw is use full, its light and cuts wood very well.
If you are carrying all your stuff a axe as nice as it is gets heavy fast.
I know a guy who likes pruning shears. works well for him.

View attachment 605702

That's the voice of experience talking.

Those big knives can get heavy fast, too. A folding saw and a folding three inch lock blade will keep your back and feet happier on the trail and will still do everything you'll likely need doing.

That being said I like my big knives and my axe. I keep the axe in my truck and have used it on occasion. I also keep a pruning saw and loppers which get used much more frequently.

Oh, and a Spyderco Delica in my pocket. The big knives I keep in a drawer at home. But I do like them.:001_smile

Another thread here reminded me. When I worked for the War Memorial (museum) here I remember seeing a couple of WW2 pilots flight kit which contained a Nepalese Kukri knife, to use as their survival knife if their plane was downed. From memory these guys were flying over the jungles of northern Australia, Burma, Indonesia, New Guinea, etc.

I have one of the Cold Steel ones, it's OK for minor yard work.
I also have a couple of the decent quality ones like this
$3581_a_1.jpg

much more useful all around. Funky grip takes some getting used to, tho.

The more time I spend with the knife in the original post, the more I'm looking hard at my others to decide which one to sell to get a second Grohmann.

Anybody read the magazine "Backwoodsman"? Just got my copy yesterday, feeling real good about this knife now.

those look like versions of the classic Fairbanks/stiletto knives. They were English commando knives - these are the ones that you slipped into the heart from behind between the ribs.
They are the "descendants" of the Vietnam era Gerber wasp-waisted fighting knife. Which was an evolution of the Applegate, which was an evolution of the Fairbairn/Sykes.
Which I always read was a back of the head assassination/sentry silencing tool for commandos. (but the heart between the ribs use would be doable, too) Very much a stabber, not too swift at slicing. (at least the one I had years ago, but it was prolly a cheap copy)

The OP grohman knives question. I have a few grohman. The forces version was standard issue in Canadian forces until recently. The are good knives only complaint I have is their stainless is very soft. I prefer their carbon steel blades but they are not as common

The OP grohman knives question. I have a few grohman. The forces version was standard issue in Canadian forces until recently. The are good knives only complaint I have is their stainless is very soft. I prefer their carbon steel blades but they are not as common
Thanks, I'm really liking this one. Much more to my personal liking than my #1. (which is very well made, just a bit "small" for my hands)

Top Bottom