What's new

Thoughts on Noodler's Bernanke Blue ink

Being new to fountain pens I am just starting to delve into the wonderfully diverse world of inks. I have some Noodler's Heart of Darkness that I have been using in my Sailor Clear Demonstrator pen, and I really love what a deep black color is has.

I am interested in hearing fellow badger's thoughts on Noodler's Bernanke Blue as I am looking for a deep rich blue ink to try as well. If not this color blue from Noodlers's perhaps another choice from Noodler's or a blue ink from another manufacturer.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Tim

I don't have Bernanke, but when I look at the swab shop on the Goulet Pen Company site, I wouldn't characterize it as "deep, rich blue." Looks more turquoise to me. I do have Noodler's Blue Eel and Liberty Elysium, and both are, in my opinion, dark, rich, and well behaved blues.

If you ask 100 different pen users what their favorite blue ink is, you'll probable get 150 different answers! :w00t: Check the Goulet Swap Shop, pick a few and order samples. That's the only way you're going to find your blue ink.

If you ask 100 different pen users what their favorite blue ink is, you'll probable get 150 different answers! :w00t: Check the Goulet Swap Shop, pick a few and order samples. That's the only way you're going to find your blue ink.

This is an excellent suggestion and one I intend to follow. I have some of Noodler's Liberty Elysium on its way to me. This Goulet Pen CO. looks like a really cool source for all sorts of pen related supplies.

Tim

Let us know what you think of that ink. I've been wanting to try Liberty's Elysium but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Re Bernanke Blue, I'd be cautious with this ink. I've been reading some reviews and although the ink is very fast drying, it seems to be quite prone to feathering. If you're not writing on very high-quality paper, you might be disappointed in the results. However, if you're a lefty and drag your hand across the writing, then the fast drying might outweigh any other flaws.

I want to like Noodler's inks. I tried them with a previous pen purchase, and none of them worked for me. They all looked wonderful, but with the particular pen I was using, I could lay it down for 30 minutes and come back to a balky nib. It was all a Noodler's issue. I have a Noodler's pen on the way and several samples of Noodler's ink to go along with it. Hopefully, they will work well, and I can buy a couple of bottles

I want to like Noodler's inks. I tried them with a previous pen purchase, and none of them worked for me. They all looked wonderful, but with the particular pen I was using, I could lay it down for 30 minutes and come back to a balky nib.

What pen?

I've have over a dozen Noodler's inks but only have a couple of troublesome ones. By troublesome I mean heavy feathering, slow drying. Or not getting the performance that others are raving about (for example, Heart of Darkness). Finally I paired the ink in the right pen and the ink worked great. That pen is a Parker 25, which has saved me from hating HoD, Bad Blue Heron, Blue-Black and Walnut.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
... I am looking for a deep rich blue ink to try

What's your preference for "deep rich"?

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Any of those could be considered "deep rich" blue by different people ... tell us which of those you think is closest to your ideal, and we can suggest others as well.

This is an excellent suggestion and one I intend to follow. I have some of Noodler's Liberty Elysium on its way to me. This Goulet Pen CO. looks like a really cool source for all sorts of pen related supplies.

Tim

I just bought my first bottle of FP ink. Goulet were very quick, getting it to me in two days. Though I'm only a state away. There current supply of noodlers is mixed with glass and plastic bottles. I received plastic in the black eel. Fine with me as I'm still very new to this. I would certainly order from them again.

Re Bernanke Blue, I'd be cautious with this ink. I've been reading some reviews and although the ink is very fast drying, it seems to be quite prone to feathering. If you're not writing on very high-quality paper, you might be disappointed in the results. However, if you're a lefty and drag your hand across the writing, then the fast drying might outweigh any other flaws.

I decided to pass on the Bernanke Blue after reading some of the reviews, particularly those talking about how messy it can be to work with. I typically am not writing on high-quality paper and so the feathering would definitely be an issue. I am a "Southpaw" though, so fast drying inks are a must for me.

Tim

What's your preference for "deep rich"?

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Any of those could be considered "deep rich" blue by different people ... tell us which of those you think is closest to your ideal, and we can suggest others as well.

My eye is definitely drawn to the Noodler's Blue. For me, that color is the definition of "Blue". I do wonder though whether it is too blue, if that makes sense, for use in a business setting. That is why I went with Liberty's Elysium -

$785884a7-13cf-479a-9455-171473e87b81.jpg
To my eye, the Liberty's Elysium is a little more muted a blue.

Tim

Fast drying ink is way more prone to feathering even on good paper. The way it's made, it's meant to absorb into the paper instantly which is why it feathers alot.
Depending on what properties you are looking for there are many many blues
As for noodlers, I'd recommend bad belted kingfisher for darker blue and bulletproof, liberty elysium for more of a true blue, and for blavk, I go with the classic noodlers (bulletproof) black.
All that said, I have around 100+ bottles of ink. Many from every manufacturer. I love apache sunset. Great fall color and it has untouchable shading of any ink I own.
I go for noodlers mostly for their properties. Only ink company I know that has so many truly permanent colors.
Your best bet would be to go nuts on samples. Goulet offers samples of every ink they sell. If you don't like them you aren't out much.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
My eye is definitely drawn to the Noodler's Blue. For me, that color is the definition of "Blue". I do wonder though whether it is too blue, if that makes sense, for use in a business setting. That is why I went with Liberty's Elysium -

View attachment 606146
To my eye, the Liberty's Elysium is a little more muted a blue.

Tim

You may also try Pilot's Iroshizuku Kon-Peki. It is a blue similar to Liberty's Elysium, which is a deep rich blue.

I want to like Noodler's inks. I tried them with a previous pen purchase, and none of them worked for me. They all looked wonderful, but with the particular pen I was using, I could lay it down for 30 minutes and come back to a balky nib. It was all a Noodler's issue. I have a Noodler's pen on the way and several samples of Noodler's ink to go along with it. Hopefully, they will work well, and I can buy a couple of bottles[/QUOTE

+1. Mirrors my own experience.

I have recently tried Noodler's Dragon's Napalm, Elysium Blue, and 54th Massachusetts in a Noodler's Ahab Flex with great results. None of them clog the pen at all.

Top Bottom