What's new

Omega 10066 vs Semogue 620 or 830

I currently own an Omega 10066 and after ~30 shaves with it, I still find that I don't really care for this brush. It seems really sparse compared to my Plisson Synthetic and EJ Best Badger. It doesn't seem to hold lather very well at all, which I think is due to how few bristles are actually in the knot. I've been considering either a Semogue 620 or 830, but I'm having a horrible time trying to choose which one to get. I face lather exclusively and have extremely dense, coarse hair (we're talking rebar). Everything I've read has said that the 620 is much better for face lathering, however I also hear complaints about it not holding much lather (similar to my Omega) and also being a bit scratchy. I hear great things about the 830 being good for both face and bowl lathering, but people say it gets too floppy once broken in and becomes bad for face lathering at that point. Does anyone have any experience with these brushes? Can you please help me decide? :blush:

The 830 splays a lot after it starts to break in, which reduces the overall backbone. It also gives it a bit of a sparse feel, but I still like it OK. The 830 being "bad" for face lathering is subjective. I think the people who say it's bad for face lathering once broken in are looking for a particular experience: lots of backbone and scrub. My whiskers are fairly stout, but my skin tends to be dry and my neck is prone to irritation, so I like a softer experience when face lathering.

The 830 feels great to me. But the splay makes it release lather easily so the brush does tend to empty itself of lather quickly. That and the lack of backbone are the two complaints people have against the 830. I just load more than I think I need and I don't run out of lather while shaving. But if you're looking for dense, stiff, and scrubby the 830 might not be the direction to go.

I don't have any experience with the 620, so I can't comment on it.

The Omega 10049 might also be worth checking out, or maybe a Semogue Owner's Club brush.

Sparse feeling may just be what boar feels like to you. If you like the synth and badgers better, why do you want another boar?

Semogue boars definitely feel different than Omegas to me, generally they have less backbone in my experience. I have a 1470 that is supposed to be the same knot as the 620. It has backbone but feels smaller than my 10065 knot does. I much prefer the omega, but the 1470 works fine as well.

I also agree that a Pro 49 or SOC boar might be fun for you to try, they're certainly not sparse brushes. They're fairly big and you'd probably enjoy the SOC more if you want the opposite of sparse feeling.

Sparse feeling may just be what boar feels like to you. If you like the synth and badgers better, why do you want another boar?

Semogue boars definitely feel different than Omegas to me, generally they have less backbone in my experience. I have a 1470 that is supposed to be the same knot as the 620. It has backbone but feels smaller than my 10065 knot does. I much prefer the omega, but the 1470 works fine as well.

I also agree that a Pro 49 or SOC boar might be fun for you to try, they're certainly not sparse brushes. They're fairly big and you'd probably enjoy the SOC more if you want the opposite of sparse feeling.

The reason I'm wanting a boar brush is because I sometimes feel that I'm not getting quite enough scrubbing with the synthetic or badger brushes. They're soft and feel wonderful on my face, but I don't always feel like they're scrubbing and exfoliating my skin properly. I also have a slight tendency to be rough on my brushes and I don't want to wear them out too quickly. I figured a boar would be less expensive to replace and also a bit more durable due to the type of hairs...

Edit: I also wanted to add that my Plisson brush has the wooden handle and it worries me that it may end up cracking or warping over time due to moisture. That is one reason I haven't really considered the SOC yet...

Last edited:
I have both the 620 and the 830. I like them both but prefer the 830. I bowl lather and the 830 holds a lot more lather. The 620 has more backbone and more scritch. Lately, I've been on a Whipped Dog synthetic kick.

Marty

UOTE=TonyJoe;7714232]The 830 splays a lot after it starts to break in, which reduces the overall backbone . It also gives it a bit of a sparse feel, but I still like it OK. The 830 being "bad" for face lathering is subjective. I think the people who say it's bad for face lathering once broken in are looking for a particular experience: lots of backbone and scrub. My whiskers are fairly stout, but my skin tends to be dry and my neck is prone to irritation, so I like a softer experience when face lathering.

The 830 feels great to me. But the splay makes it release lather easily so the brush does tend to empty itself of lather quickly. That and the lack of backbone are the two complaints people have against the 830. I just load more than I think I need and I don't run out of lather while shaving. But if you're looking for dense, stiff, and scrubby the 830 might not be the direction to go.

I don't have any experience with the 620, so I can't comment on it.

The Omega 10049 might also be worth checking out, or maybe a Semogue Owner's Club brush.[/QUOTE]

I just got a Semogue 1520 and love it for face lathering. I think it has a similar knot to the 620.

Last edited:
I've got the nearly identical 10065 and 620. I'm definitely a boar fan and use these two the most.
I'd say that the 10065/66 is more sparse as you say but the bristles are firmly set so they build a good lather. It has good flow through while being soft without too much splay and still providing the scrub that I like in a boar brush.
The 620 is both shorter lofted and more dense, making a brush with more backbone and scrub. It took a while to break in, but once it did I really liked it and it became my favorite. And with the classy lucite handle and nary a bristle shed, that's icing on the cake.
Since I typically do a two pass shave, I've never had a problem with lather quantity. I usually have enough for a third pass but not always, though that may be because of my loading habit.
In summary, they're both great and it really just depends on the mood which one I go for. I'd say I use both of them about equally. Based on what you say you're looking for, I'd give the 620 a try - just give it a couple of months to really break in. Mine took quite a bit longer than the Omega.

Last edited:
I did a review comparison between my 830 and 620 some time ago...here is a re-cap....
My initial ‘concern’ was the 620 would be scratchy - I’m not into that prickly feeling. My 620 is NOT prickly at all. Feel-wise the 830 feels like a pillow on the face, not like a Plisson, but it feels luxurious. The 620 has soft tips, but has more backbone for sure. Although the backbone is more prominent, it has similar softness to the 830, although the 830 is softer, larger, and more ‘luxurious’ on the face. Both the 830 and 620 splay easily on the face, but the 830 slightly more so due to the larger loft. I have had a few moments where the 830 has felt a tad ‘floppy’, but because the knot is 10% denser than the 620, its ability to load and lather a hard soap is top notch. The 620 does a good job of finding that balance - it is comfortably soft (not as soft as the 830) but maintains backbone. The 830 is better at bowl lathering than the 620, and is terrific at face lathering, but the 620 is often touted as one of the ultimate in face lathering due to its added backbone. The 620 holds just enough lather for 3 passes (post break-in), but the 830 holds substantially more lather. If you like that larger, softer luxurious feel, the 830 is your ticket. If you want something a with a bit more backbone without it feeling ‘prickly’ then the 620 is your brush.

Now can i add - you should consider the Semogue 2000. Bigger, more loft...BUT more backbone. Sort of like the Omega Pro series (48/49), to my understanding, its a bit smaller then those Omegas, but again, as per most Semogues, the bore grade is wonderful and really lather incredibly. Id strongly consider the 2000.

The reason I'm wanting a boar brush is because I sometimes feel that I'm not getting quite enough scrubbing with the synthetic or badger brushes. They're soft and feel wonderful on my face, but I don't always feel like they're scrubbing and exfoliating my skin properly. I also have a slight tendency to be rough on my brushes and I don't want to wear them out too quickly. I figured a boar would be less expensive to replace and also a bit more durable due to the type of hairs...

Edit: I also wanted to add that my Plisson brush has the wooden handle and it worries me that it may end up cracking or warping over time due to moisture. That is one reason I haven't really considered the SOC yet...
By this response my suggestion would be to lean away from the softer Semogue brushes. Short scrubby Semogue or omega seems to be what you're after.

All three of those brushes hold enough lather if you use enough product, really.
However, if you want a larger brush, the Semgoue Soc or the Omega Pro series should be more than sufficient to generate the lather you want. Also, you can get yourself a Whipped 30mm badger if you want a very large brush! :001_smile

I did a review comparison between my 830 and 620 some time ago...here is a re-cap....
My initial ‘concern’ was the 620 would be scratchy - I’m not into that prickly feeling. My 620 is NOT prickly at all. Feel-wise the 830 feels like a pillow on the face, not like a Plisson, but it feels luxurious. The 620 has soft tips, but has more backbone for sure. Although the backbone is more prominent, it has similar softness to the 830, although the 830 is softer, larger, and more ‘luxurious’ on the face. Both the 830 and 620 splay easily on the face, but the 830 slightly more so due to the larger loft. I have had a few moments where the 830 has felt a tad ‘floppy’, but because the knot is 10% denser than the 620, its ability to load and lather a hard soap is top notch. The 620 does a good job of finding that balance - it is comfortably soft (not as soft as the 830) but maintains backbone. The 830 is better at bowl lathering than the 620, and is terrific at face lathering, but the 620 is often touted as one of the ultimate in face lathering due to its added backbone. The 620 holds just enough lather for 3 passes (post break-in), but the 830 holds substantially more lather. If you like that larger, softer luxurious feel, the 830 is your ticket. If you want something a with a bit more backbone without it feeling ‘prickly’ then the 620 is your brush.

Now can i add - you should consider the Semogue 2000. Bigger, more loft...BUT more backbone. Sort of like the Omega Pro series (48/49), to my understanding, its a bit smaller then those Omegas, but again, as per most Semogues, the bore grade is wonderful and really lather incredibly. Id strongly consider the 2000.

Thank you for the review. This is exactly what I was looking for. I think the 620 is going to be the brush for me. I'll be ordering one soon and I'll let you know what I think. Thanks again! :thumbup1:

I for one look forward to hearing how it works out for you. My 620 is the brush I favor above any of my others. Its tips have gotten quite soft after a year-plus, used at least 2x a week and often more. It retains backbone. Early on I felt that it was a bit skimpy in the third pass, but I found that a quick dip of the tips in water could solve hat, and you can always "milk" out a good bit of lather for touch-ups. It does lose a hair on occasion.

I just got an Omega 10066 in the mail today. Plan on using it in the morning. All I have to compare it to is the VDH brush I just threw away, since the bristles were falling out. :001_smile

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
+1! I'm breaking in a 2000 right now. It's a fabulous brush.

So, I finally got my Semogue 620, only broke it in once, and am already blown away. I've been missing out, no doubt. Used it with Stirling Barbershop and my ATT S1 with a Pol-Silver SI blade tonight and literally had the best shave of my life! The extra scrubbing and exfoliation from the brush made much more of a difference than I thought it would. Extremely happy with my purchase.

Top Bottom