What's new

Eye-catching only!

Want to share this beautiful eyecatcher!

For those who know….

$IMG_3771.jpg

Many thanks for this very special stone to André from Ardennes! Hope to see you again next year – “underground”!

$IMG_3781.jpg$IMG_3783.jpg

For a second I thought you had taken a field trip to the butterscotch factory!
Ridiculous stone, a real special piece of Belgium you got there. Some nice Rouge on the back of a hybrid LL.
I'm guessing that is a 4-figure stone, and a great investment/heirloom.
Wowza

Oh my word!!! That is spectacular! Makes my whole body hurt to think about lapping it, but that is a score of a lifetime!

Wow. Is that a glued combo? I like both sides of that one. What are the dimensions on that?
Great stone.

Well actually it is a natural combo! - even not a very thick one. The dimensions are 16 ¾ inches long, 3 inches wide and 0.5 inch thick.

$IMG_3785.jpg

When Ardennes cut and lapped it years ago, it turns out, that the blue section you see on the right / upper part of the hone in the first picture consists mainly of quartz (like it is sometimes the case for the hybrid side of the Les Latneuses). So they decided not to sell it as a hone.
I just gave it a try and found out, that, if you leave the last 5 inch with the blue area untouched it could well serve as a good hone!

Last edited:

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
You've got me beat. Mine is 14 inches long, 3 5/8 wide and 1 1/4 thick, and way less cool looking than yours....

A les Lat natural combo with BBW backing. I think that is the first time I have ever seen one. I thought they always had a coticule side.

You've got me beat. Mine is 14 inches long, 3 5/8 wide and 1 1/4 thick, and way less cool looking than yours....

Well I am really sorry David!
But the stone fits so well to my small yellow-green Thuringain.....

$IMG_3799.jpg
But this one is actually 17 inches long and I could not convince myself so far to cut the overlaying 1/4" off! :001_smile

Well actually it is a natural combo! - even not a very thick one. The dimensions are 16 ¾ inches long, 3 inches wide and 0.5 inch thick.

View attachment 605286

When Ardennes cut and lapped it years ago, it turns out, that the blue section you see on the right / upper part of the hone in the first picture consists mainly of quartz (like it is sometimes the case for the hybrid side of the Les Latneuses). So they decided not to sell it as a hone.
I just gave it a try and found out, that, if you leave the last 5 inch with the blue area untouched it could well serve as a good hone!

Even better. Natural combos are always good. Can you cut the 5 inch section and use it as a slurry stone, or does the quartz mess that up too?

David

Not even close to as nice as yours, but a big chunk of rock

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 80
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 80
Not even close to as nice as yours, but a big chunk of rock

That's really a great one David! :thumbup1:
And I think the eye-catching is one thing. Most more important is the honing capability!
But since a lot of us are honers and collectors - we have to satisfy maybe both desires!

Even better. Natural combos are always good. Can you cut the 5 inch section and use it as a slurry stone, or does the quartz mess that up too?

Of course I can do that and it will work. But why should I cut such a beautiful stone. I have got maybe 3 or 4 dozent coticules in my collection and a drawer full of slurry stones from all layers. So I leave the stone as it is and enjoy taking a look and a honing session from time to time!

David

Yeah I wouldn't cut it. That's the longest one I've seen. Coticules that big are extremely rare.

Of course I can do that and it will work. But why should I cut such a beautiful stone. I have got maybe 3 or 4 dozent coticules in my collection and a drawer full of slurry stones from all layers. So I leave the stone as it is and enjoy taking a look and a honing session from time to time!

True and it isn't like you don't have enough room on it. I think it would be easy to avoid that end. I probably wouldn't cut it either. Just popped into my head since I like the slurry stone and the hone to be the same.

Ya'll need an intervention! Thank you so much however for making me feel better. I thought I was being excessive, but now I see I am only an amateur collector!

Quartz inclusion or not, that is a very beautiful piece of coticule.. It's too bad it has no thickness, I had a couple with quartz in them before and they didn't ride too deep in the rick so I was able to lap to greener pastures.

Top Bottom