What's new

Recommed a 'Fine' aftershave for me.

I want to try one of the 'Fine' aftershaves but not sure which one. If you have one you like please let me hear about it.

I'm particularly fond of l'orange noir and platinum. I have American blend which is very popular, but it just doesn't hold the same appeal for me.

Maggard razors has samples available for purchase, which I'd highly recommend. Fine is, hands down, my favorite splash. Every time I put on platinum/l'orange - I smile knowing that this is a shave finished right.

Fine is my favorite brand of AS, hands down. The scents are perfect, and they feel great on my skin.

l'orange was a little strange to me in the bottle and I was afraid to use it. After applying thought ho-lee-cow it came alive and I was in love. good all around scent.

american blend I wear to have a nice 'clean' scent without being overly 'fragrancey.' Smells like barbosol - very clean. good for the office

platinum has your typical american fragrance scent. hard to explain but smells great. maybe a little strong for the office but perfect for going out with friends or for a nice confidence booster

I use fresh vetiver if I'm going to be outside. 'fresh' really is a great way to describe it. not overly powerful. it settles nicely

I use clean vetiver after using green scented soaps and creams. proraso, TOBS avocado, etc. much warmer smelling than the 'fresh' version. good to wear indoors.

I recommend ordering the samples from Maggard. Then ordering a bottle of each. It is hard to suggest just ONE, since each of the scents is so very different.

I suppose maybe try Platinum at first if you like cologne scents. It seems to be the most universally loved fragrance. the vetivers, the powder of the american blend, and the l'orange are all very subjective.

of course if you dont want any fragrance at all, get the snake bite!

Last edited:
I can't expand much on the above post, pretty much what I would have said.

If you want to pull the trigger on a scent, then Fine American Blend is the one to plump for first off.

Fine American Blend goes perfect with Pheonix AA CaD shaving soap as they are BOTH based on Barbasol shaving cream / YSL Rive Gaunce Pour Homme EDT.

After this, it gets to a point where you just want / NEED to own all of them. The only one I don't have is snakebite, because I don't think I'm man enough for the menthol!

This may help. I put Platinum in first place. I used it today. I also keep American Blend in my rotation.

The Fine scents are blended to match popular scents as follows:

Platinum-Creed Aventus
American Blend-YSL's Rive Gauche
Fresh Vetiver-Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver
Clean Vetiver-Guerlain Vetiver
L'Orange Noir -Terre di Hermes
Italian Citrus-Acqua Di Parma's Colonia

proxy.php

Right now I am leaning toward the American Blend, the Fresh, and the L'Orange. I may buy samples of the 3 and go from there.

I recently tried Fine aftershaves thanks to the samples from Maggard Razors (as someone had already suggested). I really suggest trying them all! My personal favorites are Platinum (which I ordered a full bottle after the sample) and L'Orange Noir (which I plan on ordering a whole bottle in the future).

I'm in the minority who DOESN'T like the American Blend but can totally vouch for Platinum, which has a very unique smell of smoky pineapple/citrus. Very modern but still manly. I'd describe L'Orange Noir as a earthy blood orange fragrance. Their aftershaves have some great staying power, so once you lock in on a scent you like, it's the gift that keeps on giving.

Good luck and happy sampling!

I am a lover of Fine AB. Admittedly though at first, it was a lot for me to take in. Very cool, literally and figuratively now that I've been using it for a few weeks.
I have a full bottle of the Platinum but I haven't used it yet because I like the AB so much. Purchased a couple of extra bottles even.
Maggards is excellent all around.

I decided to buy samples of the American Blend, the Fresh Vetiver, and the L'Orange Noir. Thanks for your suggestions.

I really like both American Blend and Platinum. American Blend is a great go-to, everyday scent. Platinum (IMO) is a little "dressier." Daily, I go for either Fine's American or Clubman. For a night out or sporting a suit, I'd go for Platinum.

A good friend brought me a bottle of Clean Vetiver from Mertz in Chicago a few months ago. I found it to be a great summer scent and I'm almost to the end of the bottle. I'd definitely try another Fine aftershave.

I just opened my brand new bottle of American Blend....first time use.

Excellent! Nice fragrance, a little burn, and a nice menthol finish. A winner!:thumbup1:

Also, the LOML likes it!! :001_smile

Im new at AS and cologne. Ive already got some drugstore AS, no Fine AS. im wondering if im most interested in the scent, say im going out for the evening socially and im going to shave at 7pm to go somewhere 830pm. Is the Fine AS longevity viable to use as a fragrance say until 12am? Or should i go with a cologne? (If so i can use any old AS like AV, its cheap and fades fast.) Lets say i find Guerliane Vitivier as a good scent because its $60 or less discounted. So using the cologne vs the matching Fine AS isnt really a money issue then. Im wondering generally if i want 5 to 6 hr longevity if using AS for the fragrance works or if i should not collect AS for the scents.

Im new at AS and cologne. Ive already got some drugstore AS, no Fine AS. im wondering if im most interested in the scent, say im going out for the evening socially and im going to shave at 7pm to go somewhere 830pm. Is the Fine AS longevity viable to use as a fragrance say until 12am? Or should i go with a cologne? (If so i can use any old AS like AV, its cheap and fades fast.) Lets say i find Guerliane Vitivier as a good scent because its $60 or less discounted. So using the cologne vs the matching Fine AS isnt really a money issue then. Im wondering generally if i want 5 to 6 hr longevity if using AS for the fragrance works or if i should not collect AS for the scents.

For me, no aftershave has a strong presence after 90 minutes, including Fine, AV, Skin Bracer, etc. There may be a lingering scent, but something like Guerlain Vetiver will squish it like a bug. I enjoyed English Leather most of the day (as it grew increasingly faint) for about eight hours today, but felt free to spray some Memoirs of a Trespasser EdT at about 4:00. I'm still enjoying it. Some days I spray EdT a couple of hours after my aftershave. All depends.

If you want to heal your face & finish the shave off, reach for the AS. If you just want a scent that'll last for 5-6 hours, reach for the EDT.

Top Bottom