What's new

SOTD "FREE Theme Week October 5th - 11th, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonderfully gentle shave with Gillette Aristocrat III (1948) razor. I have also used Crabtree & Evelyn Indian Sandalwood Shaving Cream and Wizamet Polsilver (1974) blade. Edwin Jagger Super Badger brush was obvious choice. Shaving has been finished with Mirxtura aftershave and elegant notes of patchouli, cedar and Indian sandalwood delivered by old, good L’Instant de Guerlain pour Homme.

proxy.php

Menthol Monday SOTD

Razor: Gillette NI Bostonian
Blade: Gillette Spoiler (D8)
Brush: T&H Wellington 24mm Super Badger

Bowl: Turkish 5” Copper Bowl
Pre Shave Scrub: RazoRock GLO
Pre Shave Balm: TSD Iced SubZero
Shave Soap: Chiseled Face Groomatorium Cryogen
Aftershave: Krampert’s Frostbite

$P1070853.jpg

Wonderful photos, everyone! Enjoy your Monday! :001_smile

Dave
Cash
Matt
TheShavingEdge
alfredus
Roderick
Bobcat
Shawn
Jose Luis
Mirx (nice)
Guy
Murray (lovely colours; first green golf ball I have ever seen)
Erich
kcore
Soren (just lovely)
Phil
Stefano
Noah
Paco Galan
120inna55

Last edited:

SOTD, Monday, October 5th, 2015

Shower at gym + Glycerin soap face lather and rinse
Saint Charles Shave Co. Fairway shave soap, courtesy kind member
Simpson Emperor badger brush
Schulze 5/8" "Monday" shortened straight razor
Cool washcloth rinse
Myrsol K aftershave
Penhaligon's English Fern cologne

Best wishes for a new week, gentlemen!

proxy.php

10/5/15

Prep Pre Shave Cream
Stirling Grapefruit
Vie-Long 13052
13/16 Gold Dollar #66
Tony Miller 3" Heirloom Steerhide Strop
Shavex Alum Block
Captain's Choice Lime
George F. Trumper Lime Skin Food
Nautica Oceans
$SOTD10-5-15.jpg

SOTD
Gillette travel tech head with a remei handle
Gillette Silver Blue blade
Stirling Gin & Tonic
Omega Boar Brush
Clubman Aftershave Lotion
Nivea Sensitive ASB
Have a great Monday everyone!
$2015-10-04 21.59.20.jpg

2015-10-05

Semogue Owners Club 2012 SE ¤ 6/8" Feon
Speick stick ¤ Floïd Suave ¤ Ferrari Passion EDT

Have a nice day, Gentlemen :001_smile

proxy.php

Good Monday Morning Gents. Great Posts and Photos to start off our "Free Week" Thanks for Sharing!:thumbup1:

Tallapoc
Cash - "The Incredible Floating Jagger":thumbup:
Matt
TheShavingEdge
alfredus
Rod
Celestino
Bob
Shawn
Jose Luis
Mirx - Very nice composition
Guy - Lovely Effect!
Murray - Nice, One of my favorite places in the world
Erich
kcore
Soren
Phil
Stefano
PACO GALAN
Noah
120inna55

Enjoy your Monday!

Last edited:
Wonderfully gentle shave with Gillette Aristocrat III (1948) razor. I have also used Crabtree & Evelyn Indian Sandalwood Shaving Cream and Wizamet Polsilver (1974) blade. Edwin Jagger Super Badger brush was obvious choice. Shaving has been finished with Mirxtura aftershave and elegant notes of patchouli, cedar and Indian sandalwood delivered by old, good L’Instant de Guerlain pour Homme.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/430608/SOTD/sotd-3.10.2015-crabtree-aristocrat.jpg

marvelous shot!

Good day folks! Here is my SOTD for today:

Fatip Grande / Feather
"Remembering Sue" B&B Omega Blonde Boar
Fine Stoneware Lather Bowl
Proraso Menthol & Eucalyptus Shaving Soap
Tabac ASL

proxy.php

Thanks, and have a great day, all!

SOTD 05 10 2015

Pre: A good shower and Proraso White Preshave
Brush: Omega Hi-brush barberpole
Razor: Fatip Grande Gold
Blades: Bolzano (1)
Soap: Proraso Blue
AS: Floid Blue / Collistar Balm Sensitive

Music: Across the World - Shakatak
EDT: L'Erbolario Corteccia

proxy.php

Have a wonderful shave gents!

Shave Ready Pre Shave Gel
Ever Ready 150 TGNFF 24mm badger brush (not pictured)
Art of Shaving Sandalwood tallow shaving soap
Kanayama strop
Alcoso straight razor
Aqua Velva aftershave
Shave Ready Save Face Moisturizer
View attachment 605362

2014 LE B&B Rudy Vey Two-band
Czech and Speake Number 88 Shave Soap
Fat Handled Tech / Gillette Sharp Edge
George F. Trumper Coral Skin Food
Creed Royal Mayfair

Thank You Celestino and Dave! Brush is sitting on the tiniest piece of stick, and after it fell 20 times I almost gave up! But, I liked the log :tongue_sm

Head & face shower shave. days growth.

Technique: WTG / XTG / ATG
Prep: Shower.
Soap: Barrister & Mann - DFS Limited Edition
Brush: Ever-Ready 100T (TGN Finest)
Razor: RazoRock Black Mamba with UberGlide Coating (iKon Bamboo Handle)
Blade: Gillette Nacet Stainless(1)

So, let's start with the hardware. I've been exclusively using my beloved RazoRock Stealth Slant V4 since August 24. If I could have only one razor for the rest of my life, the RRSS would be it, without question. I recently had the opportunity to pick up the elusive Black Mamba directly from ItalianBarber.com. As many of you know, these are limited stock razors, and scalpers are well known for flipping these on eBay for insane amounts of cash. ItalianBarber/RazoRock proprietor, Joseph Abbatangelo, has gone to great lengths to thwart this unethical practice by instituting a VIP program of sorts. The process requires patience, but you can be sure you won't pay more than retail, and it will be a new product direct from ItalianBarber. Well my time came up, so I jumped on the opportunity, and the Black Mamba arrived today.

I won't even try to compare the Black Mamba to the RRSS because they are vastly different. The Black Mamba will inevitably, and more appropriately, be compared to the RazoRock Baby Smooth. The Mamba is not just a heavy Baby Smooth with a slick coating. The Mamba's head has a much lower profile making it far more maneuverable in tight spaces. I also find the Mamba to be quite a bit more efficient and, dare I say, smoother than the Baby Smooth. I don't know what the UberGlide coating is, but I can say it eliminates almost all drag. The entire burden is on the blade where it should be, and the head, with it's innovative baseplate posts, keeps the blade chatter-free and rigid. The posts also ensure there are no alignment issues.

As of this writing, the Black Mamba is not being shipped with an original handle, but rather an iKon handle with matching UberGlide coating. The iKon logo on the bottom of the handle is still present. I thought the later versions were the OSS handle, but mine came with the Bamboo. I'm fine with it either way. My stock iKon Bamboo handle weights in at 74.1 grams, while the one with the UberGlide coating is 73.9 grams. Yes, you read that correctly. The handle with the coating is 0.2 grams heavier. Now, that is probably within the tolerance margin, but at least you can rest assured that the coating doesn't seem to add any appreciable weight. The Mamba's head weighs in at 35.8 grams, for a gross weight of 109.7 grams (without a blade). (I calibrated my scales and they are accurate to the tenth.)

The Black Mamba with the iKon Bamboo handle is well balanced and has an intuitive, albeit generous effective shaving angle. I found myself placing most of the top cap on my skin while shaving irritation-prone areas like my neck, while using a steeper angle where I needed more aggression. Given the lack of drag from the head, and the tightly mounted blade, the resonance is conducted down the handle resulting in more tactile feedback than auditory. This is why I feel like this is a unique shaver, but with a familiar and intuitive nature. I'm going to put the Black Mamba though the paces for a few weeks, but I admit it will be difficult being away from my RRSS for any amount of time.

Now, if you're still with me, lets move on to the software. DFS LE is only my second Barrister & Mann soap. Given what I've read about Barrister & Mann soaps, I share the expected experience of a high-quality, luxurious soap with superior protection and post-shave feel and moderate slickness. B&M indicates on their site that their soaps are "thirsty", but I really don't find them any more thirsty than Stirling or Wholly Kaw. You can't easily destroy the tallow-based lather like you can with Stirling, though. The need for more water is quite easy to detect with B&M. If it's too dry, it's sticky and pasty and can't be confused with a usable lather. When the right amount of water is reached, it suddenly pops with a lustrous sheen.

DFS is a limited edition product line from Barrister & Mann celebrating the inauguration of damnfineshave.com available to members only. The scent profile was left entirely up to Barrister & Mann artisan, Will Carius. B&M are known for their unique scents that are often polarizing. DFS will probably live up to that. The scent profile is "apples, cinnamon, cloves, oak, and berries." Certainly, each of those elements can be detected individually, but in concert they impart a distinct aroma that is no doubt intended to evoke festive memories of the Fall and Winter holidays. For some this will be a pleasant intoxicating, multifaceted scent of which they simply cannot get enough. For me, it quickly becomes an annoying, overzealous holiday potpourri candle that permeates the home such that I feel the need to microwave freezer-burned cod just to cut the monotony. See? Polarizing. I do applaud Barrister & Mann for being bold and putting it all out there, instead of settling for a muted, run-of-the-mill, satisfy everyone, vetiver/sandalwood offering.

The DFS alcohol-based aftershave splash has the same ingredients of B&M's other splashes with skin friendly goodies like witch hazel, matricaria, and calendula. The scent is perfectly matched to the soap.

Despite the DFS scent, this was an enjoyable shave.

proxy.php

Tuesday Planned SOTD

Razor: Gillette Fatboy Rhodium Plated (S5)
Blade: Gillette Spoiler (D9)
Brush: VP Leonhardy 700040 Tortoise
Bowl: Georgetown G12

Pre Shave Scrub: RazoRock GLO
Pre Shave Oil: Saponificio Varesino
Shave Soap: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary
Aftershave: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary

$P1070867.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom