What's new

Advice for a beginner

Hello,

I started to shave with a straight razor two weeks ago. I have a straight razor and shavette.

My razor is a gold dollar. I knew it was not a good razor, not even a average one. My choice was motivated by my inexperience. I'm just a beginner. I want to learn to sharpen the blade without fear of dulling it. Anyway, the razor's still work: the blade cuts both my beard and my skin. The strop is the same quality as the razor, bad in other words.This will not prevent me from learning (and buy better equipment next year)

I want to practice honing. I already use an old stone to sharpen my knives. But I do not know if it's a good stone for razor, because I don't know his grit (corse one side, the other is less corse). That's why I want to buy new stones. Are DMT Dia-Sharp a good choice for a broken beginner? The ones I want to buy are DMT D6E 6-Inch Dia-Sharp Continuous Diamond Extra-Fine and Dia-Sharp Diamond Bench Stone Sharpener, Fine, 4 in. Should I buy other stones? A stone with a high grain, 10,000 or more? Or even a barber hone stone for finishing the job?

I want to buy some compound. Did DMT Dia-paste is a good choice? What is the pattern between the colors? Also, I want to know if I can make my own "strop" for the paste. I will use jeans as fabric. Here a example : "jeans strop". The device seems simple to do (and I have an old pair of jeans with holes I already use for patches). My question is to know if I might blunt the blade with such a device.

My plan is to buy an old razor and an old leather strop, and put them in good condition. On eBay there are several old razors for a penny. This solution seems to me more economic. Instead of buying a dovo I would offer a second life to a great razor. I just need to practice. And buying a alum block for my skin...so much blood...blood everywhere on my face.

P.S: I'm from Montreal, Quebec. If ever there other people in the area I am interested in communicating.

Last edited:
Top Bottom