What's new

Looking for a pocket watch.

Go to Amazon and search "pocket watch" ... you will find lots of inexpensive *cough*cheap*cough* watches ... lots of "steampunk" pieces, and so forth ... to choose from. Chinese quartz ... ya gets what ya pays for ... but I'm guessing they will be "reliable enough" for most folks.

Yeah, I saw those already. I was really hoping there was a price point in between, like the $70-$90 range... I'm all about getting what I pay for, no problems with paying for quality. In the pocket watch market, though, in order to get solid quality, it also seems that doesn't come without lots of extra that step the price up more than I can justify.

I have a couple, sitting in a box, I think I could find them if I needed to with minimal searching. I actually don't like wearing wrist watches. They tend to get in my way, get roughed up really fast and easily. The metal bands always catch and pull hairs out, which is annoying, and the leather bands just don't have the look to them I like. lol

I figured the wrist watches weren't something you enjoyed based on the request. I'm not sure how/where you want to carry the pocket watch. I have something that's probably more of a "clip watch" that would hang off of a belt loop or something similar. I'd think you could find someone to custom make a piece like this to convert one of your wrist watches. If you want the chain, I'd think that could be customized as well. But if you want the button and the cover that pops open, you'd be talking a LOT of $$$.

How about something like this? http://www.amazon.com/Charles-Hubert-Paris-Stainless-Quartz-Pocket/dp/B002NSME9C/ref=pd_sim_sbs_241_22?ie=UTF8&refRID=0V2SDHJGXSDS3HJDTXE8

How about something like this? http://www.amazon.com/Charles-Hubert-Paris-Stainless-Quartz-Pocket/dp/B002NSME9C/ref=pd_sim_sbs_241_22?ie=UTF8&refRID=0V2SDHJGXSDS3HJDTXE8

Hrm... that one could be a winner for a starting point. Adding that to the wish list. Even the reviews, though not many, are all on the positive side. :thumbup:

Question, what would be a reasonable cost for getting an antique watch that still ran a servicing ? Say it didn't need any real repairs just a tune up. I know this can probably run a wide range as you just never really know what's going to be needed, however like many of use here I get the feeling he likes older things and may consider this in his search.

From what I've seen when looking to service some heirloom watches, most watchmakers won't touch it for less than $120-$150.

Question, what would be a reasonable cost for getting an antique watch that still ran a servicing ? Say it didn't need any real repairs just a tune up. I know this can probably run a wide range as you just never really know what's going to be needed, however like many of use here I get the feeling he likes older things and may consider this in his search.
Today I am carrying a vintage Elgin I picked up for under $200. It was represented as having been serviced, though not when. I've owned the watch for about a year now and it has been keeping time well. As you might imagine, some of these watches get real real expensive, but I think the vintage ones typically start around $150 - $200.

I'll have to get some funds saved up and start watching the auction sites a bit then as well, possibly. :)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I don't even have to open the links, and I see what you did there.

Well played, Owen. :thumbup1:

I really want one of those LVC pipes one day. I would like to get it uncolored, though, and do it the right way (smoking it)

So, what is out there for brands and styles I can trust? :)

I've had very good luck with the cheap pocket watches that sometimes show up at the department store with the other cheap watches. The last one was maybe $10. The only reason I have several is apparently they make great gifts.

Top Bottom