What's new

New Springfield Range Officer

Recent new acquisition, A RO in 45.
Put a couple hundred 230 gr. FMJ's to break it in, then switched to my favorite bullseye load; 3.8 gr. 700 X and a 200 gr LSWC ( Lee copy of the H&G 68)

Other than the trigger is a bit catchy ( 500 more rounds and a trigger job will cure that).
I am well pleased.
This was at 25 yards one hand Bullseye style.

al in Colorado
$img001.jpg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
No problem, Jason.

From the looks of that group I'm about ready to accuse him of clamping his pistol in a Ransom Rest and then just claiming he shot it bullseye style. :biggrin1:

Al...I'm assuming you used a 6 o'clock hold on your sight picture?

Nice group,RA is a tack driver right out of the box.After break in mine tended to like 5.9 gr of W231 w/200 gr XTP.Win 231 and HP-38 is hard to come by in my area,so after what little bit I have left I'm going to work up a load with Tite Group,since I picked up 4 lbs of it a few months ago

No problem, Jason.

From the looks of that group I'm about ready to accuse him of clamping his pistol in a Ransom Rest and then just claiming he shot it bullseye style. :biggrin1:

Al...I'm assuming you used a 6 o'clock hold on your sight picture?

Actually I use a sub-6 hold. I allow the same space of light on top the front sight as there is on each side. Makes your eye think you are looking thru a tunnel. Your eye wants to naturally find a equal center.
It is not as hard as it sounds.
Something that was drilled into us when I was on the Olympic developmental team (air pistol).

humbly
al

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Actually I use a sub-6 hold. I allow the same space of light on top the front sight as there is on each side. Makes your eye think you are looking thru a tunnel. Your eye wants to naturally find a equal center.
It is not as hard as it sounds.
Something that was drilled into us when I was on the Olympic developmental team (air pistol).

humbly
al

I fully understand.

Jason, if you haven't seen the sub-6 hold that he's talking about, here's a quick description:

http://www.odcmp.org/0907/usamu_sightpicture.asp

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That's a lot better description for a sub 6 hold for a pistol that I came up with, Al. I was just trying to get the general idea across.

And for any possible confusion on POA/POI...if you use a 6 or sub 6 hold you need to adjust your sights to where the point of impact of the bullet is in the center of the target with that hold. In other words...if you are sighted in for a 6 o'clock hold and then use a center hold your POI will be at the top of the black. I hope that makes sense.

And no, you can't do that with a fixed sighted handgun that "shoots where it looks."

Looks like the RO shoots better than I can...heck you shoot better with a one handed bullseye stance than I can two handed with an isosceles stance.

That's a lot better description for a sub 6 hold for a pistol that I came up with, Al. I was just trying to get the general idea across.

And for any possible confusion on POA/POI...if you use a 6 or sub 6 hold you need to adjust your sights to where the point of impact of the bullet is in the center of the target with that hold. In other words...if you are sighted in for a 6 o'clock hold and then use a center hold your POI will be at the top of the black. I hope that makes sense.

And no, you can't do that with a fixed sighted handgun that "shoots where it looks."

Looks like the RO shoots better than I can...heck you shoot better with a one handed bullseye stance than I can two handed with an isosceles stance.

Thanks for the comment (blushing).... I have a Dad that taught me marksmanship (he was a marksman in the Army) and insisted that I shoot, and shoot a lot. On the farm we could do that anytime we wanted.
While I had some natural talent; sight picture, trigger control and follow thru, it was the desire to practice that makes one better.
I was lucky enough to be on the Olympic development team for four years, that really cemented the proper discipline and concepts.
Now at 61, I am shooting better than ever.

My two daughters, are both excellent shots. While my youngest (30), doesn't shoot much, never underestimate her ability. While my oldest (32), is outstanding and shoots often (has the desire), Her new hubbie, can shoot ok, but not in the same league as she is.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That must be kind of embarrassing for your son-in-law to have a "girl" outshoot him. :lol:

I hear you about training and desire. I have a good friend, that I worked with at the P.D. for years, and we went shooting together a lot. He did two tours in 'Nam as a Green Beret and eight years with the Border Patrol with several of those years on the Border Patrol pistol team. He gave me some unofficial training but there is no way that I am in the same league that he is.

I'm sure you have heard of the Border Patrol pistol team. :001_smile

Keep us updated when you get back in the groove. Let's see the X ring cut out with no flyers.

Springfield makes a good 1911. I had a black stainless Loaded for a number of years and had no complaints. I bought a new Colt National Match earlier this year and let the Springer go.

Wow accunlmtd, that's some nice shooting. If I ever got a group like that one-handed at 7 yards I'd be ecstatic. (I suck.)

It took me better part of a decade of 8-10 hrs. of practice every day to become a professional trombone player. I have a feeling it would take as much to get as good as you on the pistol. Good show.

I played trombone in high school, and I sucked... Lacked the desire to practice. My mom was determined that all her kids would at least learn to play some instrument.

As as to shooting like playing music, have someone handy to make sure you don't pick up bad habits.
Get an air pistol to practice at home. Nothing and I mean nothing is as hard to master as an air pistol. Get good with one at 30 ft, and your 45 will seem like a dream.
I have a few other training things that I learned while on the Olympic dev team, I can share if you want.

Al, how does the 700x do in the clean vs dirty department? Can you compare it to something like clays?
Thanks,

Al, how does the 700x do in the clean vs dirty department? Can you compare it to something like clays?
Thanks,
Can't really comment on Clays, as I have never used it. My experience with the fast burners is Bullseye, 700X, Unique, and American Select.
Normally I would use Bullseye, but I have this 12 pound drum of 700X that was given to me. So I developed my loads around it.
I can say...I like it a lot. Looking back into the 60's it was really popular, but Bullseye sort of became front and center and pretty much still is, although Clays and Titegroup are biting into that piece of the pie.
I think that is because shooters are having a hard time getting powder, they have turned to other powders that they can find...and are discovering that there are other powders that equal or exceed the reign of Bullseye.

When cleaning the guns, I find hardly any residue. Leading is almost zero.
I cast my own bullets (wheel weights only then casted bullets are dropped from the mold into water), then sized and lubed. then coated with motor mica.
I started using motor mica to keep the lubed bullets from sticking to each other. and I think I am onto something. They load easier, and I think the MM is contributing to the no barrel leading. I need to do some additional testing to verify that though.

Top Bottom