What's new

Interview Scent

Hey guys, out of the Frags I have which would you think would be the best for an interview situation? I wouldn't bathe in it, just 1 or 2 sprays.

Creed - Aventus - Maybe too executive? This is my wedding do scent.
Guerlian - Vetiver - Some people love / hate vetiver.
YSL Rive Gauche - Nice and clean but could be thought as old?
Paco Rabanne - 1 Million - Everyone pretty much wears this, its my office scent.
Superdry - Dry Oil - I know, chavy brand fragrance but I really like the heavy woodsy vanilla in this.

Any you wish to add that I don't have please say! I can always get samples!

Last edited:
Some places have 'fragrance free' policies. People with migraines say they are sometimes triggered by any cologne or scent. I would probably wear the creed personally, but almost an undetectable amount.

Some places have 'fragrance free' policies. People with migraines say they are sometimes triggered by any cologne or scent. I would probably wear the creed personally, but almost an undetectable amount.

Well, they are probably jealous because they smell better than they do! ;)

Thanks for you're advice :)

Hey guys, out of the Frags I have which would you think would be the best for an interview situation? I wouldn't bathe in it, just 1 or 2 sprays.

I would wear the classic scent: N'eau Thing (bad pun, I know!)

Let your interview rest on the strength of your presentation, not the strength of your cologne. Scent's a strange thing, in that it heightens memory and recall of same. For all you know, the scent you choose will have a negative association for the interviewer, and that's a risk you probably don't want to take. Interviews are a big enough risk by themselves. Don't add anything that could hurt you.

I would go scent free or use a light, woody or citrus scent. Out of the ones you list, I would go with Guerlain Vetiver. It is clean, masculine and if applied with a light hand, won't be overbearing. I love Aventus, but it smells too "sexy" for a job interview. I also have One Million, but I think it would be too sweet and has too much projection/ sillage. I don't have Rive Gauche so I can't comment on it.

Creed - Aventus - Maybe too executive? This is my wedding do scent.
Guerlian - Vetiver - Some people love / hate vetiver.
YSL Rive Gauche - Nice and clean but could be thought as old?
Paco Rabanne - 1 Million - Everyone pretty much wears this, its my office scent.
Superdry - Dry Oil - I know, chavy brand fragrance but I really like the heavy woodsy vanilla in this.

Any you wish to add that I don't have please say! I can always get samples!

I'd go freshly showered to an interview. No cologne. If you have just shaved, perhaps some Aqua Velva splash would be it. We have a fragrance free workplace so when I occasionally do have an interview for promotion, I go scent free...as per policy.

Otherwise, I wear easy scents at work. I just finished a bottle of Aramis Tuscany and am now using DR Harris Windsor.

Last edited:
an employer detecting scent in interview, is only downside.
i'd go along with suggestion for just a light aftershave.
and for a scent, just wear your confidence!

Just go in smelling clean and confident. The workplace, in terms of fragrance policies, has become tricky. I would skip the cologne.

Whenever I have a big event, I just wear my lucky aftershave, Speick, which is very light yet gives me inner confidence. I leave the Speick EdT and all other EdTs and EdCs at home on those days.

Do not wear a scent to a job interview. It will do nothing to help you to get the job and could hurt if they have a scent-free environment, or any of the people interviewing you happen to not like the scent.

I'm not sure I agree with all the naysayers. At the least, I would feel free to wear deodorant and aftershave, after using a robust soap in the shower. Scent-free often becomes acrid-scent over time without some fragrance. A light layer of Vetiver is just another layer of hygienic glow.

I'm not sure I agree with all the naysayers. At the least, I would feel free to wear deodorant and aftershave, after using a robust soap in the shower. Scent-free often becomes acrid-scent over time without some fragrance. A light layer of Vetiver is just another layer of hygienic glow.

A light layer of Vetiver would get you booted out of the last place I worked. I'll repeat, do not wear a scent to a job interview. Take a good shower wear a scent-free deodorant and go get that job!

A light layer of Vetiver would get you booted out of the last place I worked. I'll repeat, do not wear a scent to a job interview. Take a good shower wear a scent-free deodorant and go get that job!

Perhaps it would help to know what kind of job it is. I wear cologne every day, and I favor the 80s power frags. I've never had a job where a scent would be a problem (and not sure I would want one, unless it had significant outweighing benefits). Then again, I live in a place where the scent of cannabis is fairly common.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Nothing is neutral. A fragrance could be either positive or negative, but will be a gamble. Personally I'd probably choose AdP Colonia or C&S Oxford and Cambridge, both classics that have stood the test of time.

Cheers, Steve

I'll agree with the responses that say freshly showered with a scented soap, some deodorant, and a splash of light aftershave and done.

I really believe that the odds of a negative connotation by wearing a cologne are far greater than a positive one. I've never done an interview where a scent left a positive impression on me, but I've had a few where it was hard to breathe! You're safest to be (nearly) fragrance free.

Wear something nice after you land the job :)

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
You should not be able to be smelled by the interviewer. If you are, you've used too much fragrance. I personally wouldn't use anything for an interview and when I'm at work I won't wear anything "sexy" as another user mentioned. I really like Tom Ford Grey Vetiver for a work fragrance. Nothing screams immaturity quite like smelling of fragrance from a distance. Keep the scent close!

Top Bottom