What's new

What UK Brush Should I get?

I do not own a British made brush. I know of the reputation of Simpsons but was wondering should I take a close look at others? Vulfix? Kent? Edwin Jagger? Or should my first English brush be the Simpsons? My budget would be $100-$125 and I'm taking a hard look at the Duke 3 in Best Badger.

Thank you ahead for the advice!

For versatility you may want to check out a Simpson 57 in best badger. Slightly longer handle making it a flexible brush ��

I think a lot would depend on what you're looking for in a brush. The Kent BK8 might just come within your budget and offers a really luxurious experience, whereas the Simspon brushes tend to have more backbone and feel.

I think a lot would depend on what you're looking for in a brush. The Kent BK8 might just come within your budget and offers a really luxurious experience, whereas the Simspon brushes tend to have more backbone and feel.
At the moment my best badger is an H.L. Thater 4376/3 silver tip. it is exceptionally soft and I love using it. While I tend to use it mainly with creams, it is equally at home with soaps. I used last week on a puck of Mitchell's and it did quite well. I'll need to think if I want to go the luxury feel route or the backbone route. Thanks for the Kent model number!

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
IMO it's hard to beat the Duke 3 Best., but you might want to consider the Special Best, I think I like it better

For versatility you may want to check out a Simpson 57 in best badger. Slightly longer handle making it a flexible brush ��

Simpson's is where I started with British brushes and it is where I will stop. Their best is best for me. I have a Duke 2 (#1 in my den), 57 and 56 (both terrific). These work very well for face lathering soaps, but could obviously work in the bowl also. Lots of other options.

IMO it's hard to beat the Duke 3 Best., but you might want to consider the Special Best, I think I like it better

Simpson's is where I started with British brushes and it is where I will stop. Their best is best for me. I have a Duke 2 (#1 in my den), 57 and 56 (both terrific). These work very well for face lathering soaps, but could obviously work in the bowl also. Lots of other options.
I've really been eyeing the Duke 2 Best and the Duke 3 Best. The Duke 3 has the larger knot but other than that they appear to be roughly about the same. Flip a coin?

Erich, if you are looking for a brush from the UK, then the Duke 3 Best might be a very good option. However, I would suggest you look at the Shavemac Silvertip 2-Band knots as they offer exceptionally soft-tips with very good backbone.
Good luck with choosing your brush. :thumbup:

Erich, if you are looking for a brush from the UK, then the Duke 3 Best might be a very good option. However, I would suggest you look at the Shavemac Silvertip 2-Band knots as they offer exceptionally soft-tips with very good backbone.
Good luck with choosing your brush. :thumbup:
I have taken a close look at those selection, but since I do not own a English made brush I really feel like my shave den needs a UK brush. I'm really deciding between the Duke 3 or the Duke 2.

love my simpsons in general. quality is great.
simpson's emperor seems to be nicest amongst my group.

having said that, the kents i've used are uniformly soft yet effective.
and no issues with the one or two Vulfix in the group.
of course, the Rooneys and M&F's are up to their reputation (and price points).

bottom line, i don't think you'll go wrong with any of the quality options in your price range.

$simpson brushes.jpg

$captains choice bay rum cat o nine tails zowada simpson emperor july 14 2015.jpg

I have taken a close look at those selection, but since I do not own a English made brush I really feel like my shave den needs a UK brush. I'm really deciding between the Duke 3 or the Duke 2.

Well, then, you might as well go with the Duke 3 Best. Great all-around brush, really! :001_smile

I think your den needs both.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I've really been eyeing the Duke 2 Best and the Duke 3 Best. The Duke 3 has the larger knot but other than that they appear to be roughly about the same. Flip a coin?
Pretty much a coin flip indeed. I PIFed my D2 because I preferred the slightly larger knot on the D3, but not by much. I often wish I had kept both. As I said above you should consider the Special too

After much consideration I decided to go with a Simpson Duke 2 in Best Badger. I should get it in later this week. Thanks for all of the sage advice.

My first brush was kent bk4 and i recently treated myself with a simpsons duke 3 in best.

I have to say simpsons hedges kent in quality and backbone so far. Kent is softer but significantly more floppy. My kent brush shed hair like crazy and i had it replaced. The new one is also sheeding too much....

I won't recommend kent and will not buy one again. I ll se how my simpsons will resist time.

As a comparaison i also have a frank shaving brush in finest high density. i bought it in china directly from them. I would recommend them over kent has it has withstand a year of intensive use but my simpsons is my most prized brush.

My Duke 2 arrived yesterday. Check out my newest thread in this sub-forum called "Mail Call." Really excited to try it on some of the MWF!

Top Bottom