What's new

Smoker's candle?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I couldn't find what I'm wanting. Please point me to a thread if you can.

SWMBO quit cigs. about a week ago and her smeller is starting to clear up. I still smoke and was wondering what would be good to cut down on the smoke smell. We have two Himalayan salt lamps in the living room/dining room area and I have a soy wax odor neutralizer candle there also. SWMBO just brought home two OdoBan solid odor removers and we'll see if that helps a bit.

Any suggestions from our pipe and cigar smokers as to what works best and what is a waste of money? Surprisingly she doesn't mind my pipe tobacco too much, but she says the cig. smoke is a little strong to her now.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I have a Lampe Berger, and will say that it does help with the smell of a pipe. Cigs I'm not sure about, and a cigar probably not. I cut the scented juice with high% rubbing alcohol because it can be a little over powering on it's own, and to make it last longer.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
SWMBO says they use an ozone generator at work when someone has been smoking in one of the non-smoking hotel rooms, but you can't be in the room with it while it is running...it is tough! She said the one she uses is exactly like this one, but maroon in color. It even says in the ad not to use it in occupied spaces.

http://www.amazon.com/CleanAir-Indu...?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1443890081&sr=1-24

I came across this ionizer that got good reviews on Amazon, and also on an air purifier review site...it came in at #2. I think we have a cheapo ionizer around here I'll try to dig up, but I think I may go with this better quality one and see if that will bring things down to a tolerable level.

http://www.amazon.com/Living-Ionize...6?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1443890081&sr=1-6

http://bestairpurifiersguide.com/best-ionic-air-purifier-reviews-air-cleaner-ratings/

I have a Lampe Berger, and will say that it does help with the smell of a pipe. Cigs I'm not sure about, and a cigar probably not. I cut the scented juice with high% rubbing alcohol because it can be a little over powering on it's own, and to make it last longer.
I second the Lampe Berger. It's a pretty powerful scent killer. It's much much stronger than any candle or other system I've used (outside of HVAC units).

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
So...the Lampe Berger is the same thing as a kerosene lamp...only different? :laugh:

I looked it up and found the replacement wick and ceramic head for sale, and wife said we had something similar that she was given years ago but she's never used it. It's a Redolere brand, made in USA, and I've never been around one. I have plenty of kerosene lamp fuel, not kerosene but the store bought kind, and think I'll try it until the other thinga-ma-do-hickey gets here.

The ionizer/ozone thing may do a better job, but I also saw on Amazon reviews that one guy had trouble with his natural gas flames with it. We have a propane hot water heater, and space heaters for winter, that have more than paid for themselves with the electricity savings over the central heat and electric hot water heater we had when we bought the house. Will have to keep an eye on it and see how the pilot lights act.

Is this basically the same thing as a Lampe Berger? I don't even know how to use it. It's got the little snuffer cap to put it out. I don't know what kind of oil was in it but the oil left on the wick for several years is STRONG!

Found out how to use one...let it burn for about 2 minutes, blow it out, place the shade over it and let it burn for about 30 minutes or so. Then put the snuffer cap on it to put it out.

Attachments

• $IMG_0009.jpg
    $IMG_0009.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 197
  • $IMG_0012.jpg
    $IMG_0012.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Is this basically the same thing as a Lampe Berger? I don't even know how to use it. It's got the little snuffer cap to put it out. I don't know what kind of oil was in it but the oil left on the wick for several years is STRONG!

Found out how to use one...let it burn for about 2 minutes, blow it out, place the shade over it and let it burn for about 30 minutes or so. Then put the snuffer cap on it to put it out.
That sounds right. Light for two minutes, blow out and enjoy.

Yeah it's pretty strong stuff. I've heard of people putting one next to the main HVAC intake and doing the whole house. Like Derrick, I cut mine with alcohol to weaken it and to stretch the life of the scented fluid.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
HVAC intake? I'd have to put it in the floor, or on a little stand, right next to the vent...if I'm understanding that right.

Looks like this one hasn't been used much, or I've not got the right oil in it. It will burn for about 15 minutes or so and goes out on its own. Maybe I need to get the ceramic burner broken in more. I put some generic Lamplight Farms oil in it. I gave up for tonight and just used a couple of regular kerosene lamps.

Used the little green foo-foo one that my paternal Grandma had in a spare bedroom at the farm house (I always used one of the bedrooms upstairs when I was a kid...it was more fun), and a lamp I have in an iron wall holder, with the reflector, that Mom said Grandmomma had when she was a kid that Grammy used to shine on the wood stove when cooking then turned to shine on the table when they were eating.

Kinda funny...SWMBO turned the lamps off, and I lit a bowl of Royal Yacht and she said that pipe didn't bother her at all.

Attachments

• $IMG_0001.jpg
    $IMG_0001.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 183
  • $IMG_0009.jpg
    $IMG_0009.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 185
That sounds promising. She may be open to a good number of blends then. :thumbup1:

Your ceramic burner may be clogged as well. It looks pretty dark when it should be more of a slate gray. You can try soaking it in 91% rubbing alcohol to de-gunk it. No soap or other cleaners as they tend to clog it up instead. I'd give it a good one hour soak to start.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I tried the alcohol soak on the ceramic burner...did absolutely nothing. The lamp went out after 10 minutes and the burner didn't change color...looks like it was made that color for that brand.

But...we have been playing with the ozone generator/ionizer for a couple of days. You can run the ionizer alone but you have to have both going for the ozone generator to work. The ozone generator clears stuff up quick, but it can be tough even on its lowest setting. I had it in the living room at first on low for an hour, but for that long it really makes me and the wife cough. Tried it for about 15-20 minutes and that was better, but still a bit strong and had to turn it off.

Then I moved it to the spare bedroom, that's right next to the living room, and ran it on low for about 15-30 minutes or until you start to smell the ozone for a bit. That works. SWMBO said that technique is just fine for cutting the cig. smoke. I may do another 15 minutes later in the evening.

Since she's not minding pipe smoke now, go figure, I think I'll fire up a bowl of C&D Burley Flake in a bit. :thumbup:

Sounds like the lamp is a dud; the fuel, the wick or both. At least it didn't cost you anything to try it.

Good to hear that at least one thing is working out. :thumbup1:

As a result of this thread, I bought a Lampe Berger on the bay. I also found a recipe for making your own juice. About $1.50 a quart and it works great. I also learned that soaking the entire wick, ceramic and all overnight solves the staying lit problem. I am loving it so far. Thanks again B&B.

As a result of this thread, I bought a Lampe Berger on the bay. I also found a recipe for making your own juice. About $1.50 a quart and it works great. I also learned that soaking the entire wick, ceramic and all overnight solves the staying lit problem. I am loving it so far. Thanks again B&B.

After numerous threads coming up for as long as I've been here, this thread actually caused me to consider getting one...but then I saw the oil price and noped right out of that idea. Care to share the recipe?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That looks good, Tony. I may get one to supplement the ozone generator and see if it's any better than the odor neutralizer candle I got from smokingpipes. I'll also try soaking the oil lamp's wick and burner overnight in lamp oil and see what happens.

Last edited:
After numerous threads coming up for as long as I've been here, this thread actually caused me to consider getting one...but then I saw the oil price and noped right out of that idea. Care to share the recipe?

A quart 91% isopropol alcohol (about $1.25)+ 5ml (one teaspoon) of fragrance oil, I got this from a soap making place. I think candle making supplies handle this also. It's quite cheap. I already had the fragrance oil from an old experiment in making my own shaving soap. Here's link to the woman who gave instructions that worked perfectly. She also explains how to avoid lighting and burning problems. http://christys-thriftydecorating.blogspot.com/2007/11/effusion-lamps.html

I have tried her recipe and the soaking method and my lamp works perfectly.

This is where I got the fragrance oil...

http://www.brambleberry.com/

Last edited:
I also learned that soaking the entire wick, ceramic and all overnight solves the staying lit problem. I am loving it so far. Thanks again B&B.
Good to know. I've only had mine for a few years and I haven't had any issues that a good soak wouldn't fix, definitely nothing as frustrating as Mike has.

I'll be using your links and making my own fluid fairly soon. At $1.50 a quart I don't see how I can go wrong.

Those salt lamps do nothing but look pretty. Ionizers work, but they're a pain to clean and I've seen some mention of negative health effects.

What I like that helps with the smoke, although it doesn't exactly eliminate it, is to run a 20" box fan with a HEPA air filter on the intake side. It's the same idea as any standard air purifier, but you never have to worry about replacement filters no longer being sold--and it's cheaper than buying a unit. It's not exactly pretty, but I suppose it could be mounted in a box.

Here's link to the woman who gave instructions that worked perfectly. She also explains how to avoid lighting and burning problems. http://christys-thriftydecorating.blogspot.com/2007/11/effusion-lamps.html

I have tried her recipe and the soaking method and my lamp works perfectly.

This is where I got the fragrance oil...

http://www.brambleberry.com/

I'll be using your links and making my own fluid fairly soon. At $1.50 a quart I don't see how I can go wrong.
I grabbed a Fragrance Oil sampler from Brambleberry (12 x 20ml bottles) for about $30 shipped. Assuming that I use all of it, it's enough to make 24 quarts (22.7 liters) of DIY lamp juice. All I need to do is to buy 91% Isopropyl when it's on sale, not that it's all that bad at full retail. I already have a gallon of distilled water around for the Coolerdor. It won't miss 30ml every once in awhile.

The branded Lampe Berger stuff is about $35 per quart plus shipping; this works out to about $4. I'm currently using the sandalwood. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Top Bottom