What's new

Need helping finding a razor from 1928

So nearly 2 months ago I lost my grandfather. I'd been helping care for him in his late years. We were not really close when I was young, but being somewhat of a caretaker for the last few years, we developed more of a relationship. We didn't really share anything special, he was a simple man whose life goal was just to care for his family. He didn't have much as far as hobbies or anything like that was concerned.

However, the other day, my grandmother gave me two of his shaving stands with brushes. No razors as he was a cart user. One is a modern Col Conk stand with a bowl that I will use regularly. The other is an ugly and tarnished brass set with a small brush that the knot fell out of when I touched it. I started cleaning it up tonight, seeing if I could polish it up, and most likely I can't personally, so I'd like to send it out to someone to refinish/replate it. I'll put a new knot in the brush once that is done. But I'd like to find a birth year razor that would fit well with the set. I don't care if it would be DE or SE, but I'd like it to be something that I could get blades for and actually use from time to time as a remembrance.

I'm hoping you gentlemen could point me in the direction of certain brands/models that I should look for. Or if you have a serial number range, that would be even better. Once I have that info, I'll start hunting eBay and antique stores and try to find a replate candidate. Thank you all in advance for whatever information you may have.

Gillette had several different models in '28. It might take a while, but you should be able to grab one on eBay cheap. Look for serial numbers that you'll see from the link on the previous post.

Hope that helps. If you want it to look new, it'll probably need replating. Lots of good info on this board as to who to go to for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom