What's new

Boot hunt over

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I've been reading and looking at the boot posts here and made me want a new pair.
There was a few that looked to fit the bill but I could not find in store here.
My searches then went to made in NZ boots. Well I came across Mckinlays who look to make some solid footwear.

Now I would like some of the boots seen here but getting something locally made by a 5th generation family company just feels right.
What's not right is I had no idea they existed.

Just bought a pair of these, http://www.mckinlays.co.nz/shop/mens-footwear/sherwood-mens-leather-shoe.html
Their site says you can have extra stiff done to a pair or a custom pair made to your spec. I just went with a off the shelf pair.

$McKinlays Sherwood.png

I saw a review on their facebook site where a gent has a pair that is 19 years old and still good.

It was a post of them by someone who had them for 6 years made me hit buy now. I like the worn in look.

$boot.png

$boot 1.png

Last edited:
They look like they will be a very comfortable pair of shoes once youmget them molded to your feet. Good find.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I came across this video that I found quite interesting. It's good to see part of the shoe making process.

Last edited by a moderator:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
My shoes have arrived.
I notice that the back piece on the heel is not black as per their web photo, it looks better being the same colour. IMO.
Feels nice and sturdy yet comfortable. Now just to break them in.
I like the double stitch down sole.

I may have another look for some boots in 5 or 6 months when our winter comes around.

$20151008_163553.jpg

This is going to sound horrible, but I hate the look of brand new shoes. They don't look "normal" to me until at least 90 days in when the walking creases have solidified and given the shoes/boots character.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
This is going to sound horrible, but I hate the look of brand new shoes. They don't look "normal" to me until at least 90 days in when the walking creases have solidified and given the shoes/boots character.

Not horrible all. I prefer a worn in pair of shoes or boots for both look and comfort.
My view is the ones that don't take much to break in don't last as long. The heavy leather ones tend to look and fell better with age.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Here are my Red Wing 606s about 2 1/2 years in. It is about time to polish them again- I beat the heck out of the toe area.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 168

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I want a pair of these for winter. I'm thinking positive in that it will rain at least once from now until the end of the year.

$1424351259_11.jpg

These are my work boots:

$TheBullRidersGear.jpg

My 2-stepin' boots
$IMG_0369.jpg

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Those are nicely worn in Owen.

Aaron those work boots look like you mean business.
My hunting boots are similar in concept to the ones you want but it does not have the gumboot type look to the bottom. I'll try and post a picture later of them.

I've worn these twice now and they are quite comfortable already. Still a bit of breaking in to do so will wear them today ut and about and around the house.

Gave them a polish with a dark tan nugget. I could not find th cherry tan that the make suggested to colour match.
This is a day of use after polish so has scuffed a bit.

$20151017_104214.jpg

They have even been lab inspected and passed. :001_smile

$20151017_104231.jpg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Sorels are great snow boots with nice thick felt liners that can be removed for drying. When I was a kid you could buy the lining separately from the boots as they would wear out first.

Nice, i like them better without the black back too. Nice pickup of some great craftmanship it looks like. I enjoyed the video when it was previously posted.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Ha, ha....I've got the Sorel's in my cart at Amazon. I guess I'm late....its been raining for two days. Two days in a row is big news.

Sorry I was going to show you my boots. Just had to clean them up and rub in some dubbin.

It depends on just what you want from your boots but these are the ones that Sorels remind me of but made for tramping/climbing.
My boots are a bit beaten up from years of river bashing and general hunting. They were not cheap but Meindl make them to last.
I think they would be about 16 years old.
They are water proof...............until you are in a river with water over the top of them. :lol: They also have a gor-tex lining.
The only thing I don't like is trying to find laces for them as they are longer than most stock. Time to get some new ones now.

$20151025_160135.jpg

They make them for light tramping to ones for climbing.
Meindl is a Germany company. This is the nz site for what we can get. http://meindl.co.nz/collections/mens-boots

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
When I can't find regular laces I look for long pieces of leather laces.

The last pair I got was a bit shorter than they should have been but worked ok. I think they should be 270cm / 106 inches, so are not silly long but.....
If I can't get any, I'm may have to buy two at half the length and tie them together. The knot would be at the bottom, a bit rough but would work at a pinch.
Google is good I should be able to find a pair.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I want a pair of these for winter. I'm thinking positive in that it will rain at least once from now until the end of the year.

View attachment 608174

I love my Sorel winter boots. I bought them the first time I went camping in Michigan with friends during the winter.....10 years ago believe it or not.

They don't get a lot of use because it's just cold enough where I've lived. And I remember thinking the first time I wore them that they sucked because my feet were cold. Turns out my feet were sweating! I wore these super thick thermal socks with them. Yeah...not needed.

$IMG_1782.jpg
$IMG_1783.jpg
$IMG_1784.jpg

I've been reading and looking at the boot posts here and made me want a new pair.
There was a few that looked to fit the bill but I could not find in store here.
My searches then went to made in NZ boots. Well I came across Mckinlays who look to make some solid footwear.

Now I would like some of the boots seen here but getting something locally made by a 5th generation family company just feels right.
What's not right is I had no idea they existed.

Just bought a pair of these, http://www.mckinlays.co.nz/shop/mens-footwear/sherwood-mens-leather-shoe.html
Their site says you can have extra stiff done to a pair or a custom pair made to your spec. I just went with a off the shelf pair.

View attachment 604710

I saw a review on their facebook site where a gent has a pair that is 19 years old and still good.

It was a post of them by someone who had them for 6 years made me hit buy now. I like the worn in look.

View attachment 604711

View attachment 604712

Very nice indeed! I'd wear those daily if I had them.

Top Bottom