What's new

Humble Advice From a New Shaver To Other New Guys

If you are experiencing irritation and use a hot water prep and hot water during your shave, I strongly urge you give cold water shaving a try. (Plenty of great info on how to do it in the Wiki) Did it today and bam! CCS for the first time.

I do cold water shaves whenever it is warm outside - which in AZ is 75% of the time and when I lived in FL was 90% of the time!

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Good tip. Glad the cold water works for you.

I'm going to try that too. I already use cold to rinse after the shave and it seems to work pretty well. If my shave water is too hot the area around my soul patch gets too sensitive.

Thanks!

Seriously? I always assumed that would be horrid. Can you point me to a good thread on this? How cold is cold (I'm from Minnesota, and beleive me, my tap water at this time of year can be as cold as an ice cube if I don't add some hot water to it, so a very broad range of coldness is acheivable).

Seriously? I always assumed that would be horrid. Can you point me to a good thread on this? How cold is cold (I'm from Minnesota, and beleive me, my tap water at this time of year can be as cold as an ice cube if I don't add some hot water to it, so a very broad range of coldness is acheivable).

Here is a link to the thread i used. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=168069 I personally use Kyles prep(but with cold water) and cold water throughout. For me personally the water doesn't have to be super cold, it just can't be hot if that makes any sense

If you are experiencing irritation and use a hot water prep and hot water during your shave, I strongly urge you give cold water shaving a try. (Plenty of great info on how to do it in the Wiki) Did it today and bam! CCS for the first time.
I love cold water shaving...

I discovered that the razor I was using was giving me irritation. Turns out the DE razor I picked to get back into wet shaving was too aggressive. When I switched to an adjustable razor I found a milder setting was perfect for my beard and skin. All irritation is totally gone. Now it doesn't matter if I go hot (which feels better and keeps my beard softer) or cold.

I can do cold, but only have to when my wife takes a long bath and uses up all the hot water.

I discovered that the razor I was using was giving me irritation. Turns out the DE razor I picked to get back into wet shaving was too aggressive. When I switched to an adjustable razor I found a milder setting was perfect for my beard and skin. All irritation is totally gone. Now it doesn't matter if I go hot (which feels better and keeps my beard softer) or cold.

I can do cold, but only have to when my wife takes a long bath and uses up all the hot water.

The more I think about it, I'm willing to bet poor technique caused more irritation issues than hot water did. However, everything has been going so well that I'm apprehensive to change any of my routine

Top Bottom