What's new

The end of civilization

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
free range chickens are chickens which have been grown on a farm where they are free to walk around and wander off, insted of being stacked up in cages which is how usualy chicken farms are handled,

Umm, not quite. Technically, the chickens only have to have access to the outside to qualify as free range, and even then there are times when they don't even need that (eg: the first few weeks of their life).

By the time they're allowed to "roam", they're already conditioned to their existing surroundings, and most of those that qualify as free range still never see the light of day.

The Omnivore's Dilemma is a good book on the subject.

Back In The Clydesdale
by Mike Campbell 2004

I went to the bar after working all day,
And ordered a dark Guinness Beer.
But the Yuppies were chatting so thick on their cell phones,
I guess the barman did not hear.
He brought me a glass and a tall boy of Bud,
And set them down in front of me,
Well I coughed and I sputtered in pure disbelief,
And sang out this chorus with glee.

OOOOO
Put that Budweiser back in the Clydesdale,
Its not the right flavor for me.
The color's all wrong and there's not enough foam,
And its got all the kick of weak tea.
Now pour me a pint of that good Guinness Stout,
With color you cannot see through.
Put that Budweiser back in the Clydesdale, boys,
And pour me a beer that is true.

Then the waitress came by when I'd finished my first one,
An angry young woman named Jill,
She snatched up my empty without even looking,
And went off to find a refill.
Then she brought back a glass of some pale liquid garbage,
And said, "Here's the Bud you asked for."
Well I gave her a glare that would knock down a horse,
And sang out this chorus once more.

Chorus

So if ever you're seeking a beer with good flavor,
To finish your day or your meal.
If they serve you a Millers, a Coors or a Bud,
Or some other brand that ain't real,
If the "King of Beers" is the only selection,
I hope that you'll answer like this,
Put that Budweiser back in the Clydesdale, boys,
I won't drink twelve ounces of that lousy beer.

Chorus

Umm, not quite. Technically, the chickens only have to have access to the outside to qualify as free range, and even then there are times when they don't even need that (eg: the first few weeks of their life).

By the time they're allowed to "roam", they're already conditioned to their existing surroundings, and most of those that qualify as free range still never see the light of day.

The Omnivore's Dilemma is a good book on the subject.

This is correct(if I understand any of this). Now I search for "grass finished" rather than just "free range" or "grass fed" as those two terms can mean just about anything.

ouch

After reading these prices, it's confirmed my lifelong feelings that clubs suck.

A few nights ago, we had a very nice dinner for two consisting of some terrific bread, sun dried tomato tapenade, a pasta dish (pappardelle all' Amatriciana), a good (but cheap) bottle of wine, followed by coffee and desert. All told, the ingredients came to about ten bucks, but if I ordered the same at any of the above restaurants, the tab would have been around a hundred dollars. That's just obscene.

I think the reason some of these places can get away with charging such high prices is simply that some people believe being able to afford eating there makes them special.

Don't get me wrong, I've had some fantastic $100+ meals, but I've also had some that made me wish I went to the Burger King across the street instead.

ouch

I think the reason some of these places can get away with charging such high prices is simply that some people believe being able to afford eating there makes them special.

It's effectively a "riffraff" charge. They charge alot to keep the riffraff out.

Unfortunately, more often than not that includes me. :frown:

It's only $10 for a *good* drink where I am (DC Metro area)
Where do you go? I buy Belgian Beer at resturants and still don't pay $10 per:eek:

The price ratio of drinks to food doesn't really match. Ouch, I've never been to the Rose Club, but is a bar/club first, or a restaurant first?

ouch

Where do you go? I buy Belgian Beer at resturants and still don't pay $10 per:eek:

The price ratio of drinks to food doesn't really match. Ouch, I've never been to the Rose Club, but is a bar/club first, or a restaurant first?

It's a bar first, but expect to be seeing me there anytime soon. :001_rolle

A few nights ago, we had a very nice dinner for two consisting of some terrific bread, sun dried tomato tapenade, a pasta dish (pappardelle all' Amatriciana), a good (but cheap) bottle of wine, followed by coffee and desert. All told, the ingredients came to about ten bucks, but if I ordered the same at any of the above restaurants, the tab would have been around a hundred dollars. That's just obscene.

Well said. I have yet to find a meal out that I couldn't have made better and a hell of a lot cheaper myself. The riff raff charge makes sense, they really don't want me in one of those places even if I could afford it.

Top Bottom