What's new

People aren't wearing enough hats!

Headshavers, did you find that once you unlocked your bean, it was more difficult to find stylish, inexpensive haberdashery? I used to be able to buy pretty decent straw fedoras for under $15 US but then when I started shaving my head, I went down a size or two and now it's nigh-on impossible to find a nice knock-around hat. I really prefer the smaller brimmed fedora style hats, but the only ones I've found around here are still too big for my head. I'm down to around a 6 7/8, but most of the cheaper hats only come in S/M/L/OMGyourafreakImeanlookatthesizeofthatnoggin. And I estimate S to be somewhere around 7 1/4... Just big enough to bend my ears. I thought about looking in the kid's section, but they don't really do fedoras. :frown:

This is precisely why I believe they need to integrate the "trucker cap" one-size-fits-all adjustable plastic strap into gentleman's headwear. :wink:

Headshavers, did you find that once you unlocked your bean, it was more difficult to find stylish, inexpensive haberdashery? I used to be able to buy pretty decent straw fedoras for under $15 US but then when I started shaving my head, I went down a size or two and now it's nigh-on impossible to find a nice knock-around hat. I really prefer the smaller brimmed fedora style hats, but the only ones I've found around here are still too big for my head. I'm down to around a 6 7/8, but most of the cheaper hats only come in S/M/L/OMGyourafreakImeanlookatthesizeofthatnoggin. And I estimate S to be somewhere around 7 1/4... Just big enough to bend my ears. I thought about looking in the kid's section, but they don't really do fedoras. :frown:

You're head just isn't big enough, Micah. That's the real problem. :biggrin:

When I saw the title of this thread I thought, "***? You should only wear one hat at a time..."

I think your issue is more that people aren't producing enough hats. :tongue:

When I saw the title of this thread I thought, "***? You should only wear one hat at a time..."

I think your issue is more that people aren't producing enough hats. :tongue:

No, I contend that people still aren't wearing enough hats. Supply and demand dictates that if more people were seeking to wear hats, then there would be increased demand, thus prompting other people to make more hats. Hey, maybe we're both right.

No, I contend that people still aren't wearing enough hats. Supply and demand dictates that if more people were seeking to wear hats, then there would be increased demand, thus prompting other people to make more hats. Hey, maybe we're both right.

Hrm, that's a very good point. I think you are right about the fact that we're both right. :biggrin:

I agree with not enough hats. I have a bit of a penchant for trilbys and fedorahs and finding them is a right pain.

Well, finding decent ones is anyway, doesn't help having a massive noggin either.

My hair has thinned plenty and I wear it very short to boot but I still am able to wear a 7-1/4 hat so I never have a problem finding hats. I almost always wear one when I go outdoors just to keep my scalp from burning (which sucks when it happens).

I see it as a sign of suburbanization. we just are not exposed to the elements like we once were. People don't even park on the street in front of their homes, much less walk through a park. You go from your kitchen to the garage, to your car, to the underground parking lot to your work place, to another garage, to the air conditioned mall, etc. This is why you see the trends in people wearing their sweat-clothes and pajama type outfits in public. They don't see any need to even protect themselves from the elements. (or from bad taste it would seem)

a nice beany (or touque for the canadians) seems to be as far as I will go with hats these days. I used to wear stuff when we gigged, but that was blues, looking the part and years ago now. :wink:

This is precisely why I believe they need to integrate the "trucker cap" one-size-fits-all adjustable plastic strap into gentleman's headwear. :wink:

That works for a helmet, but it would just look goofy on a Stetson is the rim at the brim didn't meet the skin. It would appear that the hat is floating on the head.

I think that part of the problem is that styles have changed. It used to be that men always dressed up when they went out. Now a t-shirt and jeans is acceptable. I wouldn't mind getting a fedora for more formal occasions, but I wouldn't have a clue as to what hat to get for my casual attire.

So what goes well with t-shirts and jeans?

Top Bottom