What's new

New Sunrise

I currently have been using a Satin Tip The Purest shave brush. It is working well, but was feeling I was getting the lather I was seeing with other synthetics. So as much as I like my Satin Tip I was feeling itch to get something different. Have been waiting for Stirling brush and got the itchy trigger finger after seeing this thread, "DIY" Synthetic Brush Showdown - Finding YOUR Knot.

So I bought the AMACK4shaving Sunrise 24mm synthetic knot off the etsy site. This shipped and arrived fast.

Next I bought a handle from Whipped dog. Originally I was looking to put a badger knot in this that I was gifted, but decided to use it for the Sunrise.

Glued it in with Gorilla epoxy, and 24 hrs later it was done. I left the standard 10mm drilling from WD, and only roughed it some with sandpaper.

Tips are very soft, and the backbone is more substantial than the Satin Tip. With that backbone it does take more pressure to splay than the ST.

The lather on this was constantly denser and creamier. Took about 4 loads to dial it in on my homemade shaving soap and only a couple on some Stirling. I can not complain. This is definitely a better lather maker than the ST. The price in the end was about the same as I paid for the ST + shipping.

I am pleased, and this will become my new main brush. (photos are following).

$IMG_0320 (1).jpg$IMG_0324 (1).jpg

Just couple of photos.

Thank you.

So I found that the this knot, Sunrise from amack4shaving, is really effective at building lather. So I tend to load with a brush that has most water shook out. This knot needs very little splaying to get enough load for 3 passes + touchup. I found if I let it splay too much during load it will really start to generate a lather. It had enough backbone to get that load I was looking for without need to splay much..

I face lather and this works perfectly with the 10mm set from WD brush. I add water here and there until desired consistency. This brush incorporates the water as I go perfectly. I thought it was going to have too much backbone for a bit because it took some pressure to splay on hand lather, but in my face lathers I had no problems.

The feel of the fibers are very soft. I have not tried the Plisson, but found that brush felt soft all around. Maybe more "scrubby" when splayed at first before lather starts building. Once there is some lather in the fibers that goes away.

Going to order another knot in case it goes away. I am looking at turning my own handle sometime soon, and this knot will go well.

Top Bottom