What's new

New to the Nib, bought my first Fountain Pen

Well, ladies and gentlemen, my foray into old fashioned shaving and saving money led me to Badger and Blade, and am now aware that saving money is simply not going to happen. I have been lurking here since I joined a couple of weeks ago, and decided to give a fountain pen a try.

I swung by Staples, and picked up a Cross Bailey fountain pen...and I love it. I look forward to experiencing more (and better quality) pens as time goes on.

I tried it out, and man, have I ever missed out on writing. Going from a cheap ballpoint to a fountain pen, my penmanship instantly improved (it takes a little more effort, so I concentrate a little more), and it's just awesome watching that nib move across the page.

I showed my wife, and she tried it, but she didn't like it. The pro is that she won't steal it, the con is that she already told me no more pens for awhile.

Well, ladies and gentlemen, my foray into old fashioned shaving and saving money led me to Badger and Blade, and am now aware that saving money is simply not going to happen. I have been lurking here since I joined a couple of weeks ago, and decided to give a fountain pen a try.

I swung by Staples, and picked up a Cross Bailey fountain pen...and I love it. I look forward to experiencing more (and better quality) pens as time goes on.

Welcome!! Glad you're aboard!!:)
The Cross should do you in good stead.....My VERY first fountain pen was a Parker 45, given to me as a middle school graduation gift (Don't ask how long ago......!!!;)) Alas, that pen is long gone....but I just landed a Lamy Studio (Imperial Blue. EF nib) and now working on improving my cursive writing skills....Also in my pen "stable" --- a Pilot Elite E95S EF and a Pilot Custom original EF...
You were lucky that your Staples still stocks FP's.....mine does NOT....just a smattering of oddball converters/cartridges and ONE type of Parker bottled ink.....the rest is all ballpoint/rollerball stuff!!!:(
Happy writing with the Cross!!

Always try to get the dibs.....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

Welcome to the Nib!

I'm glad you are enjoying your new fountain pen. Fortunately, you can find some inexpensive* pens as you get into the hobby.

* My definition of 'inexpensive' has changed a bit over the last 10 months, but its been fun.

Very good, you should enjoy writing with a good pen. It is something that makes writing enjoyable and expressive. There are plenty of good fountain pens that don't cost an arm and a leg (just an arm).

My thoughts so far:

I love this thing! It's makes writing enjoyable, it's a conversation piece, and it looks amazing. I find myself trying to think of things to write instead of trying to remember everything.

The only things that are taking a bit to get used to: Holding the pen the perfect angle to write, and that I can't really rush writing.

The best things: I can actually read what I wrote afterwards. Because I need to maintain the right angle, and I can't rush it, my penmanship has greatly improved as long as I use the fountain pen.

Top Bottom