What's new

Butcher Paper - Kraft Paper - Paper!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
In Franklin Barbecue: A Meat-Smoking Manifesto, Aaron explains that butcher paper should be used to wrap a brisket (or something else). If you don't have any, use foil.

Well, I don't have any but I can possibly find some. I've been reading the wiki pages and some say that Butcher paper = Kraft paper. My local paper store says they have Kraft-wrap paper. However, on the smoke forums, they say, hold on champ! Your paper ain't food grade...

So, perhaps I need help understanding the difference between food grade paper and non-food grade paper. I understand that if the paper has dyes in it, it may not be food grade. Unbleached paper "should" be food grade?

What about Parchment paper? Wouldn't it be the same equivalent than butcher paper as I can get that by the ton!

I don't know the difference between food-grade paper and not, but I will say, if you need a lot of it, look to your local restaurant supply store. I have a huge roll mounted to the side of my workbench (woodworking), when I need glue something up, or use a finish, I just pull it over, much like they do with the tissue paper on the table at the doctor's office. I think I paid like $30 for the roll. I don't know how long it will last, since I have yet to find the end.

Luc

Staff member
Well, I don't need a huge supply. I want to try the method and see if it's the same, better, worse... What I mean is that I can easily get parchment paper, no problems, as much as I want. I never tried it to wrap stuff but I've seen chefs use it in the oven, never in a smoker.

Kraft paper and unwaxed butcher paper are the same thing. Pink paper is the same thing just looks pretty when presenting food in a restaurant.

I would be a bit leery of parchment paper as they usually are waxed or something non-porous.

Try your local hobby supply store, and look for Kraft paper of the size you need it.

I too have a huge roll! If you want to PM me your address I'll rip of a mess of it and send it your way.

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
The Kraft paper that I'm looking at is labeled Kraft-wrap to wrap things. The description says that I can use it to wrap books, paintings, stuff. could also be used in artwork class, home, garage, etc. It does not say specifically food. It's not peach but brown. I figure that Jaime Oliver uses the Times newspaper to cook fish, it's probably better since it does not contain ink.

It doesn't have a wax side but feels really thin. I will have a look at the local stores.

thanks for the offer Brian but I can't believe that paper is that difficult to come by.

The Parchment that I have is not waxed. It is, somehow, non porous as you mentions as you can have liquids in there and it won't leak.

According to the Uline site, which specializes in packing materials, their butcher paper is a Kraft paper variant. Since butcher paper is intended for food uses, and isn't very different in price, why not stick with the preferred item

BUTCHER PAPER

Cover tables or wrap deli items.

• 40 lb. virgin paper.
  • Low sulfur. Near neutral pH.
  • White - Use smooth white kraft paper for a cleaner presentation.
  • Unbleached - Natural kraft color for wrapping steaks and chops.
  • FDA compliant

thanks for the offer Brian but I can't believe that paper is that difficult to come by.

Not difficult to come by if you buy it in large quantities haha. I found my roll at a local restaurant supply chain. The hobby store types were too small to do a brisket in. If you change your mind I have a 3'x381' roll.

Being somewhat from the paper industry (I work in printing, and we print some food contact packaging) you should't really have any problem with regular Kraft paper from a hobby store if thats all you can get your hands on.

You would have no problem using Parchment paper. That stuff is designed to be used for cooking. If you have done any serious baking, you have probably used a ton of Parchment paper. Its impregnated with silicone, which makes it nonstick. It can be cooked on/in. Its not like wax paper. The wax on wax paper will melt when heated.

Luc

Staff member
I will try to get to my local kitchen store this week-end to see what they have. Good to know that Kraft paper is okay.

When someone mentions "hobby store", what do you mean? Like a toy store? I don't have anything (to my knowledge) that is branded as a hobby store here.

Arts and crafts stores like Michaels may have it. Their website suggests you have 3 of them around Montreal, but check to see if they have what you need first.

Being somewhat from the paper industry (I work in printing, and we print some food contact packaging) you should't really have any problem with regular Kraft paper from a hobby store if thats all you can get your hands on.

You would have no problem using Parchment paper. That stuff is designed to be used for cooking. If you have done any serious baking, you have probably used a ton of Parchment paper. Its impregnated with silicone, which makes it nonstick. It can be cooked on/in. Its not like wax paper. The wax on wax paper will melt when heated.

The silicone I would think would do exactly what you are trying to avoid with using butcher paper by holding the steam in, which in turn would reduce bark production. You want a porous paper that will allow the steam to escape, otherwise foil is basically the same thing.

Oh, I see, if you are cooking in it, the parchment paper will hold in steam/liquid. I often do pouch cooking using parchment paper.

Hobby store is Michael's or Hobby Lobby.

I will try to get to my local kitchen store this week-end to see what they have. Good to know that Kraft paper is okay.

When someone mentions "hobby store", what do you mean? Like a toy store? I don't have anything (to my knowledge) that is branded as a hobby store here.

I don't know the difference between food-grade paper and not, but I will say, if you need a lot of it, look to your local restaurant supply store.
I don't know if its absolutely necessary to get food-grade paper for use in a home kitchen. Sure, if you're operating a commercial restaurant or otherwise involved in food production, you'd want that, but for home use, I don't think its critical. As long as the paper is clean and fresh, its not going to poison you and its not going to impart any unwanted taste to the meal.

I vaguely remember that when I'd go with my mother to the delicatessan, she'd buy some fish, cheese or meat and the counterperson would wrap it up in newspaper. But that was in the 1950s, I know you would never see that today.

+1 on the restaurant supply stores. They carry EVERYTHING, and for a much lower cost than you'll find in any retail store. You might have to ask for the butcher paper, it may not be out on display. Even if they do have it on the sales floor, it may be hard to find, since most restaurant supply stores I've seen are in general disarray and the wares are displayed in a jumble and mish-mash of articles.

ah! Gotcha. there's a DeSerres store that sells art and craft stuff. They have Kraft paper in small and large quantity

http://www.deserres.ca/en-ca/search/kraft-wrap-paper-roll-30-x-120-inch/93647/
http://www.deserres.ca/en-ca/search/kraft-paper-roll/EMBKRAFT/

They also have a butcher paper but waxed on one side: http://www.deserres.ca/en-ca/search/richeson-butcher-paper-30-in-x-50-ft/98419/

The second link looks like what you want, the first looks waxed and the third definitely is.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
You might make a deal with a local butcher for some sheets. The stuff comes in 40 lb rolls and boxes of sheets.

Luc

Staff member
I did some wrapping this week-end and it went well. The meat stayed moist and the paper was holding perfectly even if it was a bit wet. I found it to be easier to work with than aluminum.

Top Bottom