What's new

My first Williams

Okay, I know that this topic has been beaten to death; but I had to add my experience. I saw a puck of Williams at a local grocery store and thought, "what the hell, lets give it try".

$12071432_10207476305683174_1801866344_n.jpg$12023222_10207476305323165_1494428991_n.jpg

I submerged the puck in warm water while I showered, then drained the water and hit it up with my Beau Brummell Badger brush. I loaded the hell out of that brush, removed the puck from the bowl, then added a good amount of glycerin to it before I started whipping. I followed some advice from users here that stated basically "if you think you've added enough water or you're done whipping, you're not", and that I would know when the magic happens. At first I was skeptical about the lather. It was weak and would dissipate quickly, so I kept adding a few drops of warm water and kept whipping. More water, more whipping... After about a minute....BOOM! MAGIC HAPPENED!
$12071516_10207476305523170_347157713_n.jpg
The lather just burst from the bowl so quick I could hardly contain it!
$12064316_10207476305723175_1096100316_n.jpg
I'm sure that because I added the glycerin, it helped achieve a super smooth shave. But wow, I was impressed. I couldn't get Arko to respond as well as Williams. I even have several pucks of Mama Bear's soaps, and Williams just laughed and was like "you wish!". And the smell, so fresh and so clean #Outkast
This was the lather after two passes and a clean up:
$12047801_10207476305563171_1015215213_n.jpg
Safe to say that I NEVER expected to like this soap, nor did I expect it to perform as well as it did. I guess it is safe to say that I am a convert and if Williams truly is shutting down, it's time to stock up on my new favorite soap!

Thanks for reading,
-cheers

Last edited:
Congrats on your success. Williams really is a great soap. Although the glycerin probably did help, it isn't all that necessary so don't hesitate to try it without.

Enjoy.

I keep saying....if Williams was so bad, it wouldn't have been around for over 100 years. Congrats on your lather explosion. Williams has been giving me very decent shaves for over 25 years....and that was before I knew how to properly lather it. Enjoy.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
As it should be ... swear most people settle for thin lather. Whip that thing mercilessly; pudding-lather must climb to the ceiling!

AA

For me, Williams may not be a "luxury" lather, but it sure works well. I especially like it superlathered with KMF or Lucky Tiger.

I am glad your experience worked so well. I get superb lather without the glycerine, but think it a neat idea. The only thing about Williams that I perceive as minor is that it dries out my skin a bit too much. For the rest excellent value for my money.

I am desperately jonesing for some vintage Williams. I need to just pull the trigger on Fleabay.
Yup, hard to get at a decent price. Even if I decide I'm willing at any cost it Seems to just come and go while I sleep. I Was able to find some vintage almost Williams soaps recently and I have A few grab bag type lots I scored that MIGHT have vintage Williams tucked into a cup or unmarked corner, but the mail seems to be permanently delayed so I have not had a chance to confirm.

Top Bottom