What's new

Need a daily aftershave

Gentleman,

I'm looking for a new daily aftershave. The things I'm looking for are; a splash, a "fresh" scent, a bit of staying power, minimal to no powder, reasonably priced , not over powering and feel great on the face.

I love Floid blue, but the price tag has become ridiculous here in Canada. $80 for a bottle... Pass. With Canadian dollar in the toilet, some of the artisan splashes (with shipping) just aren't worth it at this time.

I've tried AV ice blue, original sport (green) and ice sport. Although they work well there's a chemical-y scent to them that I can't get past.

Nivea splash smells nauseating after a while.

Clubman works great on my face but I don't like the scent. Too strong and smells reminiscent of gentlemen in a higher age bracket.

Been using RR baby blue at home, but the baby powder is starting to become "meh". This seems more like a winter time/ fall scent.

At work I've been using Booster Mooswood. Smells fantastic...but zero staying power.

I don't like bay rum...period.

Speick also worked well...scent wasn't for me.

Gillette Cool wave seems to be the only other drug store option available, but I feel like I'm getting jipped on the "classic" aftershave feeling. (If that makes any sense at all)

I loved the old proraso splash before reformulation. I don't know anything about the newer version of the splash.

Honourable mentions to Mudder F splash. But not quite the scent I'm looking for in a daily driver. I've also used Son of Zeus, to which my work colleagues have referred to as "Wh*re lure* [emoji53].

I've searched the forums and Amazon for something in bulk, but am a little reluctant to buy without smelling first. Reviews on Lustray are too inconsistent. I've looked at Clubman Vanilla but many have said there's no Vanilla scent.

Maybe I'm being too picky. Maybe not.
Suggestions welcome.

Brad

Gentleman,

I'm looking for a new daily aftershave. The things I'm looking for are; a splash, a "fresh" scent, a bit of staying power, minimal to no powder, reasonably priced , not over powering and feel great on the face.

Florida Water. :thumbup1:

D.R. Harris: 45 CAD/100 mL [I'd recommend the Arlington if you are looking for a "fresh" scent, though I also like the Sandalwood which I still find refreshing; Arlington has menthol] or
LEA Classic: 23 CAD/100 mL [mild, pleasant but fleeting Sandalwood scent; has noticeable menthol]

All are available at fendrihan.ca

I loved the old proraso splash before reformulation. I don't know anything about the newer version of the splash.

I read a number of reviews of Adidas Dynamic Pulse and there were a few mentions of it resembling Proraso. I don't know, I haven't smelled Proraso. But I like the Adidas. One of the longer lasting aftershaves with little resemblance to trad/barbershop scents.

Proraso Splash is great but the scent doesn't last too long. Stirling has great aftershaves in many different scents. Great efficacy and longevity for aftershaves. Sharp Dressed Man might float your boat. They offer a sampler set that lets you pick a few different ones to try out.

Agua Brava, Amazon has it and it's not real costly.
the above mentioned Addias is also a nice one.
Pino Silvestre, it's not for everyone but I enjoy it.

It is a bit pricey but if you have ever used Musgo Real Classic a/s splash you will know why many of us consider it amongst the finest in the world. It really is nice with a great oak moss patchouli(I think) scent. A superb soother it never burns as far as I have been able to tell. I think it does run over $30 per bottle these days but when I got into this it was $22 a bottle anywhere you cared to buy it.

As far as decent scent vs price the Taylor products are hard to beat. Most of them list menthol but it is very weak(bonus to me) and the scents are long lasting. The juice itself is not that comforting being one of those alcohol splashes that goes on pretty dry if that makes sense. I have tried holding it in my palm and can watch it evapourate after a little while. I add about a tablespoon of aloe juice to the bottle once I have used about that much of it from a fresh bottle. It makes the a/s a lot more soothing, seems to help hold onto the scent a bit better, and generally makes it perform better. A big YMMV on those traits. It may not be your cup of tea. Two scents that really stood out to me as lighter on the powder were Mr. Taylor and Shave Shop. Mr. Taylor is is a kind of incense like fragrance that I liked quite a bit. Shave Shop is a classic lemon/citrus affair. I don't remember it having a lot of powder but that was near ten years ago. Sandalwood is fabulous to me but has a definite soap/powder note upon dry down that may disqualify it from your list.

Another to keep in mind is English Leather a/s splash. Of all things this venerable old fragrance line still has a good a/s splash. It is very dry, woody affair these days. The cologne is closer to the old MEM fragrance but the a/s has been reformulated since Dana took it over. I was still very impressed with a drug store a/s for ten or twelve dollars. Something to keep in mind.

Top Bottom