What's new

I need a new paring knife, your insights.

So I need a new paring knife, grandma's is going to fall completely apart in the next few uses. It is 20+ years old and been abused, and given me a few great years of use. The rest of its matched set still holds strong, but it's gonna die, and that's OK.

I talked to my brother, who is a chef, and he suggests a henkels (which he has and loves) or a wustof, both of which I can aquire locally. But that was how the suggestion was left, this or that one.

What are your experiences with quality blades? What do you look for in a new blade? Handle preference, shape and material? Are you a brand loyalist?

I'm looking for a nice blade that will stay with me for the next 20+ years. I can't afford anything to pricey. I know that I can find what I'm looking for around $50ish. Thanks all in advance.

I have a couple of Henckels, a couple of Wusthof, a couple of Shun. And then I bought a Victorinox, which is every bit as good as the others and costs peanuts.

I actually just ordered this knife yesterday, so I haven't tried it yet. But it is half as good as my chef's knife, it is still the best bang for your buck:

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Sw...46123&sr=1-1&keywords=victorinox+paring+knife

These are what I use too. Cheap and if it gets trashed, easily replaceable.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Go to almost any commercial kitchen or butcher, and you'll see Dexter and Forschner/Victorinox knives. Great values and work horses.

I'd suggest go to different stores that sell good knives and see what fits your hand best. As you know a good knife should be an extension of your hand so it all depends what will fit you best. I prefer a Japanese knife or a hybrid between the Japanese and western knife, well for the chef's knife. I try and match my other knives to my 8" chef's knife.

I have Henkels and Wustof knives myself (and a few Japanese ones), and they'll be around for generations (probably).

Note, that they have various levels of quality so make sure that if you go with them, to get them from a reputable knife/kitchen store, otherwise you might get the lower end one.

Some Japanese ones are also great... and again, price range can be all over the map. So a good store will let you see them, check them out, etc.

If they say that you can't drop it without damage, then move to the next knife... it should be solid to handle a trashing easily, and be of good metal that will hold the edge with no more than honing it with a steel for a fair amount of time.

It doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg either, you can get a very decent knife for a fairly low price (for a paring knife).

Check out the sets, combos, etc. that most stores have, you could end up with a few knives that could cost less than 1/2 the price than if you bought them single.

Last edited:
I have wusthof, henkels, global and others. For the money, Ikea's forged knives are a steal.

QUOTE=imfallen_angel;7701663]I have Henkels and Wustof knives myself (and a few Japanese ones),Conde and they'll be around for generations (probably).

Note, that they have various levels of quality so make sure that if you go with them, to get them from a reputable knife/kitchen store, otherwise you might get the lower end one.

Some Japanese ones are also great... and again, price range can be all over the map. So a good store will let you see them, check them out, etc.

If they say that you can't drop it without damage, then move to the next knife... it should be solid to handle a trashing easily, and be of good metal that will hold the edge with no more than honing it with a steel for a fair amount of time.

It doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg either, you can get a very decent knife for a fairly low price (for a paring knife).

Check out the sets, combos, etc. that most stores have, you could end up with a few knives that could cost less than 1/2 the price than if you bought them single.[/QUOTE]

Legion

Staff member
I mainly use a Japanese Wa-Petty as my Paring knife, but recently decided to get something with less maintenance for when SWMBO wants to just slice something, then leave it.

At a local, cheap asian kitchen place I bought a $12 ceramic knife that came sharp enough to shave arm hair, and will not need sharpening until.. Well, it will probably get broken before it needs to be sharpened.

Perfect for what I need it for.

So while I was at the local Meijer getting groceries in stopped by kitchen wares. I found and grabbed a henkels Asian chef/paring set marked down for $10. The steel and handle freely great, edge was a little dull to my liking, but I have a nice sharpening set so no worries. Once I get a good edge on them both I think I'll have a great set of work horses.

Top Bottom