What's new

On the (crystal clear) rocks.

Do any of my fellow BB alum make clear ice at home, for use in drinks on the rocks? I'm talking about the old school method for creating a giant block of clear ice, and shaping that into large cubes/spheres for use in drinks. E.G., in a gin and tonic, you can only see the ice that's exposed above the drink line:

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 149
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 149
I use filtered water to make ice cubes. I do it that way to avoid introducing "off tastes" to my drinks. They are almost completely clear, but not as clear as yours.

I have yet to be be able to make clear ice. Whether it's cubes or the ice ball molds, tap water, Brita filtered, or boiled. It's always got the white cloudiness at the center. Probably because I'm on well water and it's pretty "hard".

If anyone has tips, I'm all ears.....

The technique, directional freezing, works with just about any tap water (no boiling or distilled water necessary). The short version is: get a cooler, remove the lid, fill 3/4ths with water and put in freezer for 2-3 days. Take the large block out and you'll see clear ice on top, cloudy ice on the bottom third. Then it's just a matter of using a hammer & chisel to carve up blocks for use & discard the cloudy portion.

You can store the small blocks in the freezer - they won't cloud. You can also use an ice-press to shape the blocks into spheres, if that's your thing. Shaped ice can be stored in the freezer, it won't cloud. Allow the ice to temper at room temperature for a minute or two before making a drink so that it won't crack.

The longer version with pics:
http://www.alcademics.com/2009/12/clear-ice-blocks-at-home-in-an-igloo-cooler.html

Last edited:
Impressive work. Though to be honest, taking the time to make perfectly clear ice is not something I'm ready for at this point. But if you've got the time and enjoy it, make it so! :)

The technique, directional freezing, works with just about any tap water (no boiling or distilled water necessary). The short version is: get a cooler, remove the lid, fill 3/4ths with water and put in freezer for 2-3 days. Take the large block out and you'll see clear ice on top, cloudy ice on the bottom third. Then it's just a matter of using a hammer & chisel to carve up blocks for use & discard the cloudy portion.

You can store the small blocks in the freezer - they won't cloud. You can also use an ice-press to shape the blocks into spheres, if that's your thing. Shaped ice can be stored in the freezer, it won't cloud. Allow the ice to temper at room temperature for a minute or two before making a drink so that it won't crack.

The longer version with pics:
http://www.alcademics.com/2009/12/clear-ice-blocks-at-home-in-an-igloo-cooler.html

Or, if you can't be bothered to cut and saw your cubes, try this article from the same site:
http://www.alcademics.com/2015/01/clear-ice-cubes-using-a-tray-in-a-cooler.html

:001_smile

I've got a block on the freezer ready to carve. I've got the timing down to about 15 mins using a chisel & hammer. I'll see if I can get a good sphere out of this batch.

I just use plain old tap water here, but we're lucky that our tap water is pretty clean in both appearance and taste ... I've been considering adding a Brita pitcher to the kitchen, but haven't really seen the need for it.

My ice cubes come out OK looking. I'm just chilling my Johnnie Black and I'm not really concerned about how it looks or anything.

Does the clear ice taste any better than conventional ice? Or is it just a cosmetic improvement?

It should impact the taste of your drink less due to the reduced impurities. Plus, one large cube should melt slower/dilute minimally. I can usually get 2, maybe 3 drinks off one cube.

It should impact the taste of your drink less due to the reduced impurities. Plus, one large cube should melt slower/dilute minimally. I can usually get 2, maybe 3 drinks off one cube.
The slow melting isn't necessarily a good thing ... the main reason I put ice in my Scotch is so that it will melt and dilute the drink. "Opening up" is the way its described in Scotch terminology. Lowering the temperature is an added bonus, but not the primary intent.

I've seen a lot of so-called "whiskey stones" that are chilled ceramic and plastic cubes containing frozen water that do not get involved in the taste of the drink ... but I'd never use these.

I am definitely interested in making clear ice spheres.

The problem is that I can't justify buying the equipment since I don't drink anything on the rocks.

Yep, that's the directional freezing method from Camper English. I use a small igloo cooler without a lid. Just carved up some ice this week.

Oy Vey, will the B&B madness never end?

I have a list of 5 bourbons and 3 beers that I "have" to try and now I have an ice ball maker on the way from Amazon (2.5 in diameter).

Oy Vey, will the B&B madness never end?

I have a list of 5 bourbons and 3 beers that I "have" to try and now I have an ice ball maker on the way from Amazon (2.5 in diameter).
Which one did you get? When I searched all I found were molds.

Which one did you get? When I searched all I found were molds.

I bought a mold, the cheapest press that I saw (insert chunk of block ice and it melts it into shape) was about $400 which is way beyond my means. I bought the silicon mold that makes three at a time by Ice Sphere Tech

It will be at the house tomorrow, so I s/b able to report back by Thu evening

Top Bottom