What's new

Best shave yet!

Well, since I tool DE shaving back up a couple months ago, I've used two razors - a EJ DE89, and a '48 or '49 Super Speed. I've tried Derby and Astra blades in both of these. I decided going in, partly due to wisdom gained from this fine forum, to stay with the two razors, and to stay with one or two types of blades, until my technique was more consistent. Anyway, I did not care for the Derby blades right away, but the Astra's were pretty good in both the EJ and the SS, but I still could not get a really good shave with two passes and touch up, and without some face irritation.
I decided it was time to add a new blade brand into the mix, and ordered some Feathers and Gillette Silver Blues. First shave tonight with Feather in the DE89, and it was the best shave I've had in YEARS, maybe ever, and with two passes! I have not allowed myself to become obsessed with getting a BBS shave, but this one is pretty close, and the best part is, no irritation! I think I have found my blade, at least for the DE89. :biggrin1:

Thanks for sharing your experience with blades and razors.

I too enjoy Feather blades, they perform great for 3 or 4 shaves, especially if I shorten my regular stroke a little bit with them and keep them well rinsed. Great little blades.

Wait until you try the Silver Blues. I find them similar to the Astra, but they almost always last me 6 or 7 shaves easily while the Astra start to go downhill after 4 or 5 for me. Russian made blades seem to work very well for me.

Or course everyone is different, and has different experiences with soaps, blades, razors, water, air, etc......

Nice! I find a sharper blade in a less aggressive razor works well for me too, as a general rule. Good experiences here with both Silver Blues and Feathers. Happy Shaving!

Congrats! I love Feathers I don't have an EJ, But a Feather in a 40's style supper speed and your speaking my language . :thumbup1:

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Well done, I'm currently trying to dial in my go to razor/blade combo...it can be a difficult process and I applaud your success!

Thanks for sharing your experience with blades and razors.

I too enjoy Feather blades, they perform great for 3 or 4 shaves, especially if I shorten my regular stroke a little bit with them and keep them well rinsed. Great little blades.

Wait until you try the Silver Blues. I find them similar to the Astra, but they almost always last me 6 or 7 shaves easily while the Astra start to go downhill after 4 or 5 for me. Russian made blades seem to work very well for me.

Or course everyone is different, and has different experiences with soaps, blades, razors, water, air, etc......

This is interesting, especially since the other type blades I ordered along with the Feathers were Silver Blues, and in fact, I just tried the first one in my 40's SS tonight! Very good shave, but I believe I notice slightly more irritation than with the DE89 / Feather combo. Too soon to make a call though, next blade change I'll try the Feather in the SS, and the SB in the DE89. Also obviously too soon to comment on longevity, but I'll be interested to see. At some point, I'll try the Astra's again for comparison, but I can say for certain that my next blade order will include more Feathers!

Top Bottom