What's new

Question about board strops

I am in the market for a strop. I've been reading and watching videos on stropping. Most of the higher end strops have a linen side and a leather side. And I understand the purpose of both. Yet they sell board strops that are just a piece of leather glued to a board...no linen side. Inexpensive I know. Is a board strop sufficient or will the lack of linen stropping harm the blade over time? Is it worth the money saved to buy a board strop? Or should I just spring for a two sided strop? What is best for a beginner?

I have only ever used the strop that I made myself. It is a piece of veg tanned leather glued to a marble tile, so it performs similarly to the paddle strops you are referring to. It has sufficed, although I do have a linen and horsehide strop on my Christmas list. As long as you at least have the leather, you should be OK for daily stropping. I think (am not sure), but a linen or canvas strop may help with smoothness or edge longevity over just leather alone. But I touch my edges up on diamond pasted balsa anyway, so the edge may stay fresh indefinitely (as long as I use proper technique and avoid banging the razor on the sink or faucet).

Whatever you go with, you don't want to go too expensive because you will end up slicing it while you learn how to use it. With mine, I can just replace the leather when it gets too nicked up.

I purchased the Lynn Abrams modular strop. It is two sided and comes with magnetic backing for 4 strops. They are easily interchangeable and you get a fine leather, sueded leather, and 2 cloth strops for diamond spray and chromium oxide. The diamond spray comes included. The strops are 3 inches wide by 18 inches long. It is small enough to travel with and if you chew up a strop while learning a new leather magnetic strop is $18.00

Lynn has a video on u tube that you should watch explaining the whole package. Cost is $89.95 but worth every penny. I bought a straight razor that was factory honed. It wasn't as sharp as I liked. I sprayed some daimond spray on the cloth strop, gave the razor 3 laps and finished with 25 laps on the leather. It was a perfect edge and I got a bbs shave with it. Hope this option is something you will be interested in.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I much prefer a hanging strop for normal unpasted stropping. I think the very slight sag in a strop drawn fairly tight helps to tame and condition an edge much better than a paddle. Where paddle strop truly shine is with the use of pastes, IMHO.

I purchased the Lynn Abrams modular strop. It is two sided and comes with magnetic backing for 4 strops. They are easily interchangeable and you get a fine leather, sueded leather, and 2 cloth strops for diamond spray and chromium oxide. The diamond spray comes included. The strops are 3 inches wide by 18 inches long. It is small enough to travel with and if you chew up a strop while learning a new leather magnetic strop is $18.00

Lynn has a video on u tube that you should watch explaining the whole package. Cost is $89.95 but worth every penny. I bought a straight razor that was factory honed. It wasn't as sharp as I liked. I sprayed some daimond spray on the cloth strop, gave the razor 3 laps and finished with 25 laps on the leather. It was a perfect edge and I got a bbs shave with it. Hope this option is something you will be interested in.
Yes this does sound like a good option. I will check I out...thanks.

Check out the 4-sided paddle strop at Whipped Dog....I just bought one rather than trying to make a pasted balsa one and it has worked out really well.

Top Bottom