What's new

Has anyone noticed the recent ratings for Red pack Personas at Amazon recently?

I've been looking to buy some Personna Reds recently, and have been checking out prices and reviews at different vendors. The recent reviews at Amazon haven't been very good. I don't want to open the whole Personna Red can of worms again, but given the more recent poor reviews, I was wondering if anyone has noticed personally, or heard from another member whether there has been a dip in quality with this product? I've read a lot about the Israeli/non-Israeli and Mexico, Virginia controversies, and I really don't think we need to get into that again unless it has any bearing on how these may affect the quality of the current product.

I'd take the word of people on this or other shave boards before Amazon. Both Derby and Merkur blades are highly praised on Amazon for example, yet the opinion here is a bit different.

That's not to say their opinion is wrong, just that I don't give as much weight to those reviews. A lot of first timers pick up a razor and a 100 pack of whatever reviews well because it's cheap. You can read as much in many reviews.

I would sooner take advice about dental hygiene from a man with no teeth, than shaving advice from users on Amazon.

To answer your question though, I bought a couple of 100 packs from Amazon a few months ago and they were just fine.

Ok thanks guys. It's just that they are a bit more expensive than say the Astras, and the reviews that I saw gave me pause.

I would sooner take advice about dental hygiene from a man with no teeth, than shaving advice from users on Amazon. .

+1000. Trust the folks on this forum.

:taz: Amazon reviews of shaving kit are creative writing IMHO! :taz:

Just pick up a couple via tryablade or the blade exchange. That blade, in your razor, used with your technique, against your face - is what really matters.

It's true, there's a reason why we commonly say YMMV (your mileage may vary). Everyone's face is different, we have different skin types and some have coarser beards than others. Some people hate blades that others stand by. Blades are inexpensive enough that it costs very little to pick up a pack of ten. People's opinions are useful in steering your purchases, but at the end of the day, no other person's experience will ever perfectly match your own. Every blade is worth trying at least once.

Alternatively, you can't go by other people's opinions because it seems like almost every blade has been called dull or tuggy pulley on here at one point or another, except for Feathers and Personna Lab Blues.

It's strange.. the "tuggy" comment. I have this "eye of the hurricane" growth pattern on the left side of my neck. No matter what blade I use, in every shave, during some pass - I get some tugging in that area. But I've learned which directions work best sequentially, and even with a little tugging at times there, I still can get a fantastic DFS on my neck.

My my point is that my hair pattern encourages a bit of tugging regardless of blade. I should also mention that blades I only find "so-so" in a mild razor have been excellent in an aggressive razor.

Top Bottom