What's new

Vw tdi :

I saw forums for coffee, cigars, sports, etc., but nothing car-related, so here's this one in the Barber Shop:

Anybody else the proud owner of a Volkswagen diesel? I have a 2012 Sportwagen TDI (manuel transmission of course - why would a DE shaver drive an automatic?) and was absolutely thrilled to find out that my car had fraudulently passed its smog inspection, that I couldn't sell it now if I wanted to, that its value will be greatly diminished once it is salable again, and that after it's been recalled I'll have to be spending more money on fuel due to diminished efficiency.

For the first time in my life, I have joined a class action lawsuit. (My family frowns upon litigiousness.)
:cursing:

I had a TDI until last year. The dealership kept emailing and calling offering to buy it back. Three year old car at the time, and I figured that I would have gotten the hybrid anyway if it had been available. I sold it back and plowed the $$$ into a new hybrid and couldn't be happier. Little did I know. I have to wonder whether the dealer knew something and wanted to reduce their risk.

I had a TDI until last year. The dealership kept emailing and calling offering to buy it back. Three year old car at the time, and I figured that I would have gotten the hybrid anyway if it had been available. I sold it back and plowed the $$$ into a new hybrid and couldn't be happier. Little did I know. I have to wonder whether the dealer knew something and wanted to reduce their risk.

I would think that they did.

I doubt it. I get emails all the time from dealers who want to buy my Civic and Accord.

I doubt it. I get emails all the time from dealers who want to buy my Civic and Accord.

you realize that's just a marketing ploy to get new business? They don't care about your current car, only that they got your name on a mailing list. I get those letters for leased cars that are one year old and couldn't be returned without a loss and for leased cars that I had returned to that dealer 3 years before.

You could sell the car out of state as-is. The smog testing stuff is mostly confined to the coasts and the bigger cities.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
You could sell the car out of state as-is. The smog testing stuff is mostly confined to the coasts and the bigger cities.

But a lot of people bought these things because they believed that they were a viable alternative to hybrids- great mileage, good power, very low emissions. Some people actually want to pollute less without having to be mandated to do so. Anyone remember the 70s, when the sky was a constant nice shade of gray?

But a lot of people bought these things because they believed that they were a viable alternative to hybrids- great mileage, good power, very low emissions. Some people actually want to pollute less without having to be mandated to do so. Anyone remember the 70s, when the sky was a constant nice shade of gray?
Yes. Under no circumstances can I keep my integrity and unload the car before it's brought into compliance.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Yes. Under no circumstances can I keep my integrity and unload the car before it's brought into compliance.
You acted in good faith- VW didn't.

on edit: I cannot afford a new car until next year, and had been eyeballing the TDIs. My father has had two Priuses and loves them- I just cannot get into the styling.

you realize that's just a marketing ploy to get new business? They don't care about your current car, only that they got your name on a mailing list. I get those letters for leased cars that are one year old and couldn't be returned without a loss and for leased cars that I had returned to that dealer 3 years before.

Yes I do realize that, which is why I said that I doubt the dealer was trying to reduce any risk by offering to buy the VW back.

VW may well be the only one (they also make Audi), since they're the leaders in fuel efficient diesel technology. The only other big diesel engine maker is Mercedes, and people don't really buy those for fuel efficiency. So I'd be surprised if there was a similar revelation about any other make of car.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
So the CEO ( or whatever he's called) resigns, gets a $30M pension and lives happily ever after?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
So the CEO ( or whatever he's called) resigns, gets a $30M pension and lives happily ever after?

Don't you just love the life of multinational corporations? If you are a regular worker and screw up big time, you're fired. If you're a CEO you're set for life.

A not happy 2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI owner here. Thought we were doing a good thing (49 mpg). Not so much now (40x the claimed emissions). Prison is where Martin Winterkorn needs to be. It will never happen. VW should be forced to buy back all 11 million TDIs. That won't happen either.

Mercedes used a different technology jointly developed with Bosch (Bluetech) that VW opted out of in 2007 in favor of a homegrown solution that obviously wasn't clean enough. This doesn't mean other firms didn't cheat as well, but who knows.

Top Bottom