What's new

The Decline of the Sport Coat

Goodwill:

A couple of weeks ago, I picked up a brand new, BRAND FREAKIN NEW, $200 sports coat for $6. The pockets weren't even open. I'm pretty sure I did the Snoopy dance in the parking lot. I took it to the tailor and spent $15, then I was set.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
proxy.php

It's just a standard navy sports coat, nothing fancy to see. I didn't even go in looking for a coat, but when you find a deal for $6, I jumped on it.

And thinking about those sitcoms again...Friends ruled the waves from the mid 90's forward and didn't seem to have anyone regularly wearing sport coats informally.

Just one more reason I find How I Met Your Mother (and Barney Stinson) to be the superior show!

Id definitely like to start wearing sports coats more often. I'm in the same boat as the OP. I'm 29, and have previously not really needed a sports coat for my jobs or casually.

Same here. I'm 33 and live in the metro Atlanta area, where the heat and humidity are nigh unbearable in the summer. On top of that, I'm a firefighter, so we have a uniform to wear at work. Meaning I have no professional need for one whatsoever... and 33 year olds in the suburbs surrounding Atlanta have little need for one casually, as well. That said, it's definitely a look I like, and one I'm trying to incorporate more often when we go out for dinner or with friends.

I have one from Warrior ... where did you get yours?

I went with the classic rage at M&S here in Blighty. I tried warriors but just couldn't get the fit over my shoulders versus my arm length.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I went with the classic rage at M&S here in Blighty. I tried warriors but just couldn't get the fit over my shoulders versus my arm length.

I had to buy over the internet, so "pick and pray" rather than try them all on and find out in advance. Still, it worked out pretty good for me.

I just bought another sports coat off ebay. It is a used Brooks Brothers, but it looks nice in the pictures. The coat is gray, which should go well with slacks or jeans. If it doesn't live up to the photos, the price was good, so I won't be too upset.

A blue or black cashmere blazer with the right shade gray or tan wool slacks and a light blue, cream, or white shirt with a patterned or knit wool tie is still appropriate in 80% of situations. Drop the tie and do business casual also.

Macy's was having a sale this weekend and I picked up a very nice Ralph Lauren green and brown herringbone with elbow patches. Wearing it today will snap a pic when I get home.

A blue or black cashmere blazer with the right shade gray or tan wool slacks and a light blue, cream, or white shirt with a patterned or knit wool tie is still appropriate in 80% of situations. Drop the tie and do business casual also.

It should be noted that anything cashmere is not a blazer. It is a sports coat. Kudos to you, Lancelot. Blazers are only blue wool.

Great color combos, dude.

Here is the RL I picked up on Sunday, will be taking it to the tailor today to have the sleeves adjusted.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444223556.037450.jpg

And my first lapel pin

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444223579.636311.jpg

Picked up a
Barbour x Norton & Sons Taransay Jacket for $150. By far the best fitting blazer (sportcoat?) I've ever bought. Only problem is that I need to slim down the current delicious food belly I've got going on right now.​

Top Bottom