What's new

Sudden Onset of Scotch Craving (read title carefully!!)

Picking one favorite scotch is much more difficult than picking one bourbon, because the differences between bourbons are relatively minor -- variations in sweetness, flavor intensity, smoothness and price. Don't get me wrong, I probably love bourbon more than scotch, but it's a spirit that begins with tradition and ends with consistency. Scotch, on the other hand, is all over the place. Single malt, blended malt, and regular blends in everyday and premium varieties. Young scotches, old scotches, and new no-age stated creations. Peated, sherried, smokey, salty and sweet. Lowland, highland, Islays and other islanders, Campbeltowns, coastal highlanders and Speysiders, not to mention the Japanese. Ten scotches to fit every mood. The best I can do is name my favorite scotches -- plural -- and there are about a dozen! However, if I could have only one scotch in the cupboard forever, it would be The Glenlivit 12 year. Or Macallan. Or Glenfarclas -- definitely Glenfarclas. No, wait ... Talisker. And Clynelish. But not an Islay, unless it was Caol Ila. Or Bruichladdich. Damn.

Lagavulin 16... If I could choose only one liquor for the rest of my days, I'd be hard pressed to find one better than this. The first time I tried it I knew it was a peaty scotch. But what I wasn't expecting was just how well the smoke and malts compliment each other. Some scotches can taste a bit like the smokiness is an afterthought to the malt or vice versa. But Lagavulin really impressed me all around. I told my wife that she had my permission to ditch the Christmas lists and just get me a yearly bottle of Lag16!

Now there are certainly plenty of other scotches out there. I recently got a Talisker 10 that has a great smokiness with a more fruity profile that reminds you of the ocean (if you can picture that in a good way).

This chart was a good place to start. There are plenty more in depth charts to be found, if you find it helpful.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 155
Did you notice a difference with the HP in a regular glass versus the Glencairn glass?

I'd be interested in the answer to this if anyone else here wants to opine on this.

I can't explain how it works. I just know that if you appreciate fine whiskey, you shouldn't drink it out of anything else but a Glencairn glass.

Having worked at a winery for a few years, I learned a bit about how glass style can impact flavor. There are a few factors.

1: Shape. The shape of the bowl can impact how much exposure the liquid has to the air both on the liquid's surface and sides of the glass where it has been swirled up. Also the size of the opening will determine how focused the scent is. Both these can focus the aromas in a way a regular glass cannot. (Keep in mind however that a small opening is not automatically better. Red wine glasses tend to pair large bowls and large openings)

2: Material. The glencairn glass is, in fact, not made of glass. It is actually crystal. Aside from being heavier and less prone to color or fogging, crystal's primary advantage is its surface area. Though you cannot see it with the naked eye, the surface of crystal is much more textured and rough than glass. This allows the liquid to cling to the side and release more aroma in the air inside the bowl.

3: Shape again. There are other factors in shape that can influence flavor. For instance, the shape of the rim can determine where the wine hits your tongue. And the stem (or lack thereof) can determine how much your hand warms the liquid. These are less important to liquor than they are to wine, but many things can be at play.

All told, I'd still rather have a Lagavulin out of a sippie cup than Bud Light in Riedel crystal... But a good glass can certainly help make the experience more enjoyable.

Down the rat hole!! (And a very fun rat hole indeed.)

In my single days I was a Scotch drinker, tons of fun as there are so many interesting options. Since getting married I have moved to wine (as that keeps LOTH happy!) Main thing is to have fun!

Never knew my thread title would set off all these wonderful responses. :lol: Had a chance to spend some more time with the HP 12 and Lag 16. The Lag is still much preferred. I find that the Glencairn glasses do feel great in the hand, while allowing for the aromas to waft up. Just an overall good experience I suppose. Why not have a great glass to go with a fine scotch. I guess I will be looking to try some of the different regions. I'll need to take it slow though. Ha. I may end up with 30 types of scotch if it turns out anything like buying my first vintage Gillette razor.

For a more soft experience I propose my favorite Swedish single malt:

$mackmyra.jpg
Mackmyra Brukswhisky​

Do check it out! :001_smile

Last summer on a weekend trip to Scotland, I visited 3 distilleries in Speyside. The Islay whiskys are my favorite, with Laphroaig my #1 and Lagavulin #2. I hope to have a chance to make it to Islay at some point.

Some of my current favorites: Balvenie Caribbean Cask and Double Wood; Lagavulin 16 YO; HP (all of them); Abelour 15 YO. At a tasting recently I had some Springbank 10 YO 100 proof scotch and this was the most intense scotch I have ever tasted.

My first single malt after my Dewar's White label introduction to Scotch was Lagavulin 16. What an eye opener! I have since had a bottle of Laphroaig, but didn't like it quite as much. Enjoy sampling!

As for Bourbon, don't get me started, but Maker's 46 is probably my "Lagavulin 16" among many others.

If you haven't been before (or lately), the Maker's Mark distillery just started selling bottles of Maker's 46 Cask Strength on site less than a month ago!

2 of my foavorites. The Highland Park 18yo is a classic and one of my favorite's of all time. I buy a bottle each year after Thanksgiving and drink it throughout the Holidays. Making sure to save some for Christmas day. Fond memories and good scotch are a winning combo. Enjoy the journey my friend.

Lagavulin 16... If I could choose only one liquor for the rest of my days, I'd be hard pressed to find one better than this. The first time I tried it I knew it was a peaty scotch. But what I wasn't expecting was just how well the smoke and malts compliment each other. Some scotches can taste a bit like the smokiness is an afterthought to the malt or vice versa. But Lagavulin really impressed me all around. I told my wife that she had my permission to ditch the Christmas lists and just get me a yearly bottle of Lag16!

Now there are certainly plenty of other scotches out there. I recently got a Talisker 10 that has a great smokiness with a more fruity profile that reminds you of the ocean (if you can picture that in a good way).

This chart was a good place to start. There are plenty more in depth charts to be found, if you find it helpful.
thank you for the chart. I'm not imbibing these days, but it appears the majority of my scotch experience is on the delicate side, must be because of my delicate sensibilities.

Highland Park 18 is very good. Not as complex as Dalmore's Cigar Malt, but overall, a bit more pleasing on the palate. I'd actually rate Aberlour A'Bunadh as equivalent to Highland Park 18 and it is $40-50 cheaper.

I just picked up a bottle of Old Pulteney 21 and Bruichladdich Port Charlotte. I've only tried the Old Pulteney 21 and am extremely happy with my purchase. It's what I would expect Dalmore to taste like if it was produced in Islay or another Island whisky. A bit salty and briny with light to medium smoke, but a depth of flavor that is missing from the 18 yo.

I just picked up a bottle of Old Pulteney 21 and Bruichladdich Port Charlotte. I've only tried the Old Pulteney 21 and am extremely happy with my purchase. It's what I would expect Dalmore to taste like if it was produced in Islay or another Island whisky. A bit salty and briny with light to medium smoke, but a depth of flavor that is missing from the 18 yo.
I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on the Bruichladdich Port Charlotte when you get around to opening it. Maybe a new thread!

I'm partial to most of the Islay malts with particular favourites being Ardbeg and Lagavuilin. I also quite like the Balvenies is I'm going for something smoother. As a true Scot I'll be shot for saying this but the Japanese Yamazaki whisky is also really nice if you want something smooth rather than peaty. It's the only one of my (vast) collection of whisky my mate will drink.

All should be drunk neat, no ice, and room temperature of course! :)

I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on the Bruichladdich Port Charlotte when you get around to opening it. Maybe a new thread!

If you've had Bruichladdich Peat, it is very similar. I didn't try it with my sampling glass so flavors and scents were a bit muddled to be posting a review. I personally thought that Peat was smokier and found Port Charlotte a bit easier drinking. First pass, this seems like a wonderfully balanced young whisky. Being young actually works to its benefit as it is lively on the tongue. There's also a hint of age and what the flavors could be if they waited another 5-10 years.

If you've had Bruichladdich Peat, it is very similar. I didn't try it with my sampling glass so flavors and scents were a bit muddled to be posting a review. I personally thought that Peat was smokier and found Port Charlotte a bit easier drinking. First pass, this seems like a wonderfully balanced young whisky. Being young actually works to its benefit as it is lively on the tongue. There's also a hint of age and what the flavors could be if they waited another 5-10 years.
Good to know. I enjoy a good young scotch but think the Peat may be more to my taste. Thanks!

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I just tried some Tomatin 12 year old. It was recommended by a guy that used to work for a small grocery store, that for years was a local treasure trove of all things alcohol related.

It is a very smooth, yet complex, Highland single malt. Did I mention that it's really inexpensive for a single malt? Think of it as the Buffalo Trace of the single malts. It punches above its' weight.

Top Bottom