What's new

Sudden Onset of Scotch Craving (read title carefully!!)

Well here it goes folks. I was sitting at work two days ago thinking about Scotch randomly because it came up in a search thread on a different subject earlier in the week. Never really have tried Scotch before but occasionally drink a bit of bourbon. Always been more a beer drinker. I hit the search button again for best scotch. Came across the infamous chart and a few reviews. First night I pick up some Highland Park 12. Very tasty but safe. A real good smooth drink. Then I Start studying the chart and reading reviews and I keep seeing peat and smoke in the threads and it piqued my interest. Just got home with some Lagavulin 16 and some glencairn glasses. Holy wow. Much different than the Highland 12 but in an interesting crazy good kind of way. I think I just found a new hobby. Ha. Excellent evenings ahead. By the way it's been a long tough week at work and that may have had something to do with my newly discovered scotch habit. :lol: Thanks everyone for your suggestions in other threads.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 277
Good choices! I'm partial to Macallan myself, but can't go wrong with either of those. If you like the smoky flavor of the Lagavaulin you may like Yamazaki.

I want to try some Scotch soon. Well, something besides Johnie Walker. HP12 is on the list. I had a beer aged in casks that previously held HP12 a while back, so I need to complete the taste experience. :)

My girlfriend picked up a bottle of Glenlivet 12 for me, and I have to say I am impressed. Great everyday single malt, at a great price.

I generally don't like the super-peaty-smoky scotches, but Lagavulin 16 may be my favorite scotch, so go figure! :)

My rule is find a favorite and always have it in stock, but always be buying at least one other and trying that one too!

As for Bourbon, don't get me started, but Maker's 46 is probably my "Lagavulin 16" among many others.

Well here it goes folks. I was sitting at work two days ago thinking about Scotch randomly because it came up in a search thread on a different subject earlier in the week. Never really have tried Scotch before but occasionally drink a bit of bourbon. Always been more a beer drinker. I hit the search button again for best scotch. Came across the infamous chart and a few reviews. First night I pick up some Highland Park 12. Very tasty but safe. A real good smooth drink. Then I Start studying the chart and reading reviews and I keep seeing peat and smoke in the threads and it piqued my interest. Just got home with some Lagavulin 16 and some glencairn glasses. Holy wow. Much different than the Highland 12 but in an interesting crazy good kind of way. I think I just found a new hobby. Ha. Excellent evenings ahead. By the way it's been a long tough week at work and that may have had something to do with my newly discovered scotch habit. :lol: Thanks everyone for your suggestions in other threads.

Well, it certainly beats "Sudden Onset of Crotch Saving".

Enjoy, and try a bottle of Balvenie at some point. It's delicious and reasonably priced for the 10.

I'd be interested in the answer to this if anyone else here wants to opine on this.

Did you notice a difference with the HP in a regular glass versus the Glencairn glass?

I got myself a Glencairn glass about 3 months ago. I don't know how I got along without it all these years.

It takes my regular go-to drink, Johnnie Walker Black on the rocks, to a whole new level. It looks better, it smells better, it tastes better, it even seems to turbo-charge the alcohol content so that I can get the same buzz by drinking about half as much.

It does the same thing no matter what liquid beverage I put in there. I've used it for shots of Coca-Cola, and even Kambucha mushroom juice that I have twice a day.

I can't explain how it works. I just know that if you appreciate fine whiskey, you shouldn't drink it out of anything else but a Glencairn glass.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
A scotch experimenter who stumbled across Lagavulin and loved it would be well advised to try Talisker, Laphroaig, Bruchladdaich, and Ardberg (not all Lagavulin clones, but ... all "out there" on one way or another.)

Aaaaardbeggggggg
Aaaaaaaaaaardbeggggggg

... come out to plaaaaayyy-aaayyyy

proxy.php

I'm glad I'm not the only person who had that moment of dyslexia.

If I didn't ... does that make me a bucky lastard?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I had to click on this link to admit my slight dyslexia. I read "Scotch Craving" and switched the starting letters of each word. That being said, I haven't had a good glass of scotch in a while- maybe I need to pick some up for Christmas

Laphroaig's my go to but I had a Lagavulin last year for the first time in a long time and was really impressed, if you're a fan of one there's a fair chance you're a fan of the other. The difference being both one of taste and one of legality.

Highland Park is mediocre to my tastes but is plentiful and more acceptable than Gelnmorangie.

You all need to try Ardbeg. I do like HP 12, but Ardbeg 10 is amazing! Very smooth, the smoke is more like a white smoke. Delicious stuff. And at about $40, a real steal. I haven't tried Lag. 16, but at about $75, for me Ardbeg is a very good deal.

I had to go through a bottle of HP12 before I enjoyed my bottle of Lagavulin 16.

You picked an interesting pair of single malts for sure. Both are island malts, HP being from the Orkney's, and Lagavulin from Islay. I'm a big fan of the Highland Park 18 year old. I just love how the different flavors come together at that age statement. Heather, honey, Chocolate, smoke etc. Pricey, butWonderful stuff! Lagavulin is a great dram for me when the winter weather hits. If I can make a recommendation, try and pick your next Malt from a different region, just so you can get the lay of the land as it were. The lowlands are not very Peaty, (I'm not sure, but they may be unpeatedlike Irish Whiskey). Glengoyne, Auchentoshan, and Aberlouer are good examples. Speyside is home to some of the most famous malt Whiskies such as Glenlivet, Glenfiddich and Cardhu. I enjoy the Glenfarclas very much. If you like sherry cask, the McCallan is outstanding, as is Mortlach. Buy a book on Malt Whisky, read the tasting notes, and see what sounds appealing to you. If you have a Pub near you that caters to Malt drinkers, you can go and try them before you buy a bottle.

Top Bottom