What's new

Interested in learning how to use a straight razor, can you help me?

Hello,

I currently am a daily head, face wet shaver. I own and use a multitude of vintage, modern DE and occasionally SE razors.
I am very happy with the results I've been getting.
I would now like to explore straight razor shaving. Maybe for weekend shaves where I have time to enjoy it.

I was hoping somebody could recommend some books specifically on sharpening them. Although any recommendations on any books pertaining to straight razor shaving would be greatly appreciated also.

My goal is to buy a couple cheap straights to practice and master the sharpening technique. Then get a better straight for face time.

I know there are a bunch of videos out on YouTube etc but I find reading about something I enjoy much more satisfying.

Cheers
John

I would also say that getting a handle on shaving first is important. It is quite different from DE. As far as learning to hone, there are many many techniques. The previously mentioned resources will help a lot, and then it's practise. What you need more than anything is a benchmark shave-ready razor to compare against. If you search the forums you'll find lots of suggestions for a first razor.

As mentioned above the most important thing is getting a shave ready straight razor, or you will have no idea how sharp or what kind of shave one will give you, don't expect to hone your razors and start shaving with one straight away, if you do start honing, make sure you have an open window to throw the hones and razors out of, watch plenty of videos on shaving,
Then there's the type of razor!

If you want to see my ugly mug and my broad Sheffield accent, (no laughing please) on what razor to choose, watch this video

Watch "Buying a straight razor" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/9nzfOyjjxKk

Note to Admin the razor I mentioned is no longer for sale so please don't delete this link.
Steve

1st you need a properly honed razor and a stop to start with. Whipped dog is a good source for a beginner.
Thesuperiorshave.com is a great source for new razors and they also come shave ready. His basic strop is very good. Don't spend too much on your 1st strop as you will likely nick it learning. I say stay away from pastes. Just get a good linen or hemp strop for more aggressive refresh.

I may start straight shaving with a shavette I have while learning how to sharpen a traditional straight.

Then once I'm happy with the edges I'm getting I'll make the transition.

I must admit I am a little nervous about shaving my head with a straight.
I'll start with weekend shaves when I have time to focus on technique.

Cheers
John

How will you know when you are happy with your edge? A shavette is a bit different in ternlms of angle and weight, so it may not be a great direct comparison.

I know others have tried to learn shaving with a straight just on weekends, but I'm not sure how successful they've been. The learning curve is a bit long sometimes; just shaving on the weekends will make it even longer. You might consider starting by just shaving just shaving your cheeks, or if on your head, someplace easy. I have no idea where that might be, however, as I find head shaving intimidating, and soon unnecessary . . . .

Hello,

I currently am a daily head, face wet shaver. I own and use a multitude of vintage, modern DE and occasionally SE razors.
I am very happy with the results I've been getting.
I would now like to explore straight razor shaving. Maybe for weekend shaves where I have time to enjoy it.

I was hoping somebody could recommend some books specifically on sharpening them. Although any recommendations on any books pertaining to straight razor shaving would be greatly appreciated also.

Cheers
John

John
I appreciate your interest in using a straight razor for full head shaving. I am with the other fellows here that there is a learning curve.
Some guys here on this board have quit their regular jobs or took early retirement just so they can spend more time with their razors and stones, films and sprays. I suggest that you get in touch with one of these devotees in your area and get some hands-on experience, it will shorten that learning curve for sure and minimize your scare count. Shout out "anybody else in Rhode Island".

Alex

I know others have tried to learn shaving with a straight just on weekends, but I'm not sure how successful they've been. The learning curve is a bit long sometimes; just shaving on the weekends will make it even longer. You might consider starting by just shaving just shaving your cheeks, or if on your head, someplace easy. I have no idea where that might be, however, as I find head shaving intimidating, and soon unnecessary . . . .

I have a goatee but still shave checks, neck and head daily every morning. Maybe a good way to start would be wit cheeks and neck. I could move up top when I am more proficient.

Cheers
John

Last edited:
Top Bottom