What's new

Need your best crockpot dish

Hi all. I'm hoping to get a good base of dishes you all consider killer crockpot meals. Thanks.

My EASIEST crockpot meal; pulled pork.

Thinly slice a couple of onions and line the bottom of the crock.
Trim excess fat off pork shoulder. I don't use picnic because it has the skin on it which is a waste of money for this.
Rub your pulled pork spices on the meat. (I use brown sugar, chili powder, garlic powder, seasoned salt).
Put a ramikin with liquid smoke and some water along with the pork into the crockpot.
Put a half cup of water in the bottom, don't worry, by the time it is done there will be plenty of liquid.

Cook on low overnight, 9-12 hours.

I discard the liquid at the end as it is too fatty for my taste, and I add barbecue sauce to the pulled pork.
You can use the onions on your burgers next time!

My EASIEST crockpot meal; pulled pork.

Thinly slice a couple of onions and line the bottom of the crock.
Trim excess fat off pork shoulder. I don't use picnic because it has the skin on it which is a waste of money for this.
Rub your pulled pork spices on the meat. (I use brown sugar, chili powder, garlic powder, seasoned salt).
Put a ramikin with liquid smoke and some water along with the pork into the crockpot.
Put a half cup of water in the bottom, don't worry, by the time it is done there will be plenty of liquid.

Cook on low overnight, 9-12 hours.

I discard the liquid at the end as it is too fatty for my taste, and I add barbecue sauce to the pulled pork.
You can use the onions on your burgers next time!

I do my pork straight with aromatics (grated carrot, diced celery, minced onion, garlic) on the bottom No added flavors other than salt and pepper on the shoulder. I make a tomato based BBQ sauce from the remaining liquid and aromatics using liquid smoke, tomato paste, molasses, some chilies.

Sure it is fatty but that is what makes it taste so good :yesnod: If you want healthy you don't want pulled pork to start with.

It is not as good as smoked shoulder but the sauce is to die for.

One whole chicken(5lb)..barbeque rub and a medium onion...
Rinse chicken, barbeque rub all over inside and out..slice up onion and put in crockpot..place chicken on top of onions..cook 6-8 hours low..
Nothing fancy but really good..

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Thanks, looking to try all of them.
Don't forget to post pics in the "What's cooking?" thread :biggrin: I am thinking of doing some cast iron corn bread and cooking up a mess of beans. My beans are pretty simple- lima or navy beans, some chicken stock, salt, pepper, garlic, and cubed up salt pork. Paired with corn bread, it is a meal that will stick to the ribs.

I do my pork straight with aromatics (grated carrot, diced celery, minced onion, garlic) on the bottom No added flavors other than salt and pepper on the shoulder. I make a tomato based BBQ sauce from the remaining liquid and aromatics using liquid smoke, tomato paste, molasses, some chilies.

Sure it is fatty but that is what makes it taste so good :yesnod: If you want healthy you don't want pulled pork to start with..

I did try putting veggies one time but the salt on the seasoning made it too salty. Plus, too fatty for me.
I don't doubt that it turns out good, just not the texture and flavor profile I'm looking for.

A few boneless chicken breasts cut into a few pieces
one can cream of cheddar soup
a handful of cheddar cheese
a jar of salsa
serve over rice

Then make nachos with your leftovers

Definitely not my best crockpot dish, but certainly delicious and easy, which bumps it up on the scale.
For best, I would go with beef stew... can't quite remember what i put in it though

Cuban pork...jerk chicken...moussaka...beef tongue for spicy Italian dip sandwiches.
Those are just some of the things that I've done with great success in the slow cooker.

I'm hoping for some good recipes. My wife claims that everything that comes out of my crockpot tastes like stew.:001_rolle

The Posole Rojo recipe looked interesting until I got down to the hominy. It's been about a half-century since the school cafeteria served that several times a week, but I still RUN from the idea.

Last edited:
I have tried slow cooking several times and I must say I am not impressed. I blamed the pot at the beginning. After several disasters I let the wounds heal and bought a second pot. Same results: not impressed with the whole experience, taste being the biggest let down. Very convenient indeed, but that's about it.

However, I do have one dish that turns great every time : cabbage rolls.

I made another load this morning and the kids devoured them. That's about the only dish I could recommend.

As for the recipe, I will try to write more about it sometime over the weekend.
My current slow cooker is a Hamilton Beach IntelliTime (I like it, as it never burnt food, never undercooked either and is very easy to use)
Here are some pictures from this morning (took 30min to roll them all) and today's dinner:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom