What's new

TABACtober 2015

As SPEICKtember wraps up, anyone else up for a run of Tabac?

It might smell like an old lady's purse, but according to my memory, it is one of the best performing soaps I've ever used. Time to put that to the test!

For those who use TABAC, do you have that ceramic bowl? Do you plop it into a mug or grate into a container? Do you use the shave stick?

This year, I have used Art of Shaving tallow, Haslinger Schafmilch, and currently Speick soap grated into a bowl. They have been excellent performers, among my top soaps. So I wanted to go right into another strong performer.

I actually found that the shave stick refill is cheaper (per gram) than the puck refill. So I purchased the shave stick refill and grated about half of it into a dish. It looked EXACTLY like shredded cheese. And smelled INCREDIBLY strong. I'm hoping it dies down before I use it.

I have been cruising along (in 3017 style) with a Haslinger puck and not overly concerned about which soap I would choose to follow it up. A recent trip involving a Speick stick made me think a little about what should be next and with the change in seasons, Tabac is a perfect choice. I have a puck (which has been used for a couple of shaves during an old edition of the Brush Chronicles) resting in the glass jar and I am looking forward to using one of the great shaving soaps again.
I no longer bother with the AS but I do enjoy the scent of the soap and love the way that it scents my bathroom.

Now... on to the remains of the Haslinger with a vengeance!

I will be participating in TABACtober, as I haven't used anything else in a few months now due to Tabac's great performance. It's my current favorite, and this puck seems like it will last quite a long time.

I have that ceramic bowl. It's so iconic! I couldn't pass it up. Plus, my other bowl has PdP in it, and that will take forever for me to finish.

Alas, I have never used TABAC, and I am on a SWMBO imposed software restraint. I hope to try it soon, but not in time for TABACtober.

Count me in. I have a refill puck grated into a wooden bowl from Bulgoose. It's 2+ years old and really needs attention. I've used it a fair amount but it barely shows it.

Last edited:
I will be doing a combination of Tabactober and Razorocktober, giving at least a full week to each product. While I predict Tabac will win the performance category, I expect it to come in dead last in fragrance. :001_huh:

I'm in.

I have both the Tabac stick that I use for traveling and the Tabac puck in the ceramic bowl. I even have aftershave, but my bride doesn't care for the scent. I'll have to sneak it in when she's off to school a couple nights a week!

I've never been able to use Tabac. The smell repulses me so badly that I literally cannot force myself to lather it up and apply it to my face. Just smelling the puck gives me a migraine. :blushing:

I use Tabac just about everyday. I love the super smooth shave I get with it.
If I'm in a rush, I use the stick. Besides being quick, the stick allows me to get some extra soap on the tough spots.
When I have time, I use a scuttle to soak my brush while showering.

I Like The Smell of TABAC.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Will be participating in this. I've been doing Tabactober many times over the years and looking forward to another stretch -- half used puck in the bowl!

I'm here. I have the tub with about 10 shaves on it already. And the aftershave came in the mail today. I am looking forward to a month of great shaves

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I'll join in on this.

I have a puck in a 1 cup storage bowl that has maybe 20 shaves out of it. I have the aftershave as well.

I'm in. I just started trying out face lathering this stuff today, and I'm convinced it's the way to go now! Best shave with the R41 yet, and I'm keen to try it out on a few straights...

I certainly meant no offense; I'm jealous because I don't have any TABAC and I need more soap like I need another hole in my head. You gents enjoy, and perhaps I'll see you next year.

Bah, you got time to get some Tabac and join us!

It is a great performing soap in my book, and easy to offload if you don't like it.

Top Bottom