What's new

Any rum snobs?

Can be hard to find as its new to most markets but the Hamilton 151 is brilliant. From Guyana and over proof that takes the place of Lemon Hart. Most tiki folks are aware of it but can do a lot in many cocktails.

Well, personally, I like sipping rums. A friend of mine, American Airlines pilot, turned me on to the sipping part. I have an original bottle of Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 anos unopened. The original basket sipping rum. I also have a bottle of Havana Club Barrel Proof. Last but not least, Zaya 12. I know it's not the best, but is one of the least expensive sipping rums.

I like mine on the rocks in a whiskey tumbler. When I mix, I like Sailor Jerry with diet Pepsi. I learned way long ago the 'sugar' sodas gave very bad hangovers. It's the sugar, therefore, the diet. After the switch, no more hangovers!!!

Whiskey is almost always my first choice, followed by whisky :) When wanting a change of pace, though, I'm partial to a real dark rum on the rocks ... maybe because of most of my ancestors were New Englanders. Goslings Black Seal is my favorite, followed by Flor de Cana 7-Year, which I discovered on a trip to Costa Rica. The Black Seal can taste so sweet you'd swear someone added a little simple syrup.

Picked this up on the way home from a business trip.
sorry for the double photo

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 155
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Yes! What a great rum. This was one of the bottles I was gifted for my birthday last week. The 7yr version is a mixer staple for me but the 18 is truly a classy sipper. Cheers!

I was very impressed.
My wife my kill me, but I think I'm going to stock up on more aged rums. It's incredible you can get quality this good at $55 for a 18 yr old rum, you would expect to pay 2 or 3x's that for a Whisky or Scotch.

I love Havana Club. The 7 makes the best rum and coke. Dominican rum is pretty close in style so Brugal or Barcelo make a great sub.

And yeah, one reason I love rum is the quality, variety and value equation. I'd suggest Appleton 12 as another great bottle. It's also like $35 so you can't go wrong. It's not real sweet and has a sort of whiskey delivery, if that makes sense.

Havana Club 7 is 220 pesos here ($13.50 US)

Marty

QUOTE=bootzilla;7709405]I love Havana Club. The 7 makes the best rum and coke. Dominican rum is pretty close in style so Brugal or Barcelo make a great sub.

And yeah, one reason I love rum is the quality, variety and value equation. I'd suggest Appleton 12 as another great bottle. It's also like $35 so you can't go wrong. It's not real sweet and has a sort of whiskey delivery, if that makes sense.[/QUOTE]

I'm certainly looking forward to the continued easing of relations between US and Cuba. As it is now, I have to beg friends to grab me a bottle if they travel internationally.

I like it. Very complex, with lots of different flavors. Sorry, I was responding to the Diplomatico post above.

Last edited:
Well, personally, I like sipping rums. A friend of mine, American Airlines pilot, turned me on to the sipping part. I have an original bottle of Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 anos unopened. The original basket sipping rum.

I first had Ron Zacapa 23 when I was in Guatemala. The Guatemaltecos are rightly proud of this fine rum. It opened the door for me into the world of sipping rum. In Guatemala it is often served in a brandy snifter, but you are instructed not to swirl it around like Cognac. I guess it bruises the rum. Still my favorite.

My drink of choice this weekend was a rum old fashioned. Used an equal mix of Smith & Cross and Hamilton Demerara. What a great mix.

My wife's family is from Zacapa so I'm biased, but for sipping nothing beats Ron Zacapa 23. For a cuba libre my favorite is Havana Club 7. Since I can't get that here, and for something different, Ten Cane is my substitute. If they dont have that, nothing wrong with Bacardi silver.

$image.jpg
Sorry for the 2 pics

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
At one time I was a total rum whore, I still occasionally dabble in some rum consumption. My go to is normally Appleton estate, I do like zaya and kraken as well. Shockingly enough, I also like the cheapo Cruzan as well.

Bacardi 8 is a worthy sub for Havana Club 7. It's pretty much my fav from the Bacardi family. Zacapa is quite good and I always seem to have a bottle on my shelf.

Appleton is also one of my all time favorites. The 12 is great is a sipper or as the Jamaican rum in many tiki drinks. The VX has been my go to lately for a rum and coke.

Once I figure how to post a pic using the mobile website I'll tack a shot of 30 or so bottles. I've done previous things with bourbon and gin, but never to this extent.

Somehow just found this sub forum. How could I miss it?!

I pretty much love all spirits but rum is my go to. I prefer sipping a good aged rum but would never turn down a rum based cocktail. Currently I have about 30 bottles at the house, after making a concerted effort to stop buying and only consume what I already have. I don't have a favorite but I definitely have favorites based on style. Anyone else have this "problem?"

I have never had a problem with having too many bottles of liquor. Quite the opposite really.

Planning on picking up a bottle of Pusser's before the holidays. For those that might not be familiar, it's the same tot that was given to the British Royal Navy for years, and distilled from the same stills.

In addition, they sell a Pusser's rum cake during the season for around $20 on their website.

Pusser's is great for sipping, but would work equally as well, either hot or cold, in one of my favorite rum cocktails, The Black Stripe.

In my bar, currently, are Bacardi silver, Bacardi Gold, Kraken, a well white rum, a couple bottles of Captain Morgan Special Reserve, and a bottle of Bacardi 151.

Need a Jamaican, and some top shelf aged stuff for sipping.

My drink of choice this weekend was a rum old fashioned. Used an equal mix of Smith & Cross and Hamilton Demerara. What a great mix.

Love rum old fashioneds. What did you use for the bitters and the sugar? Did you add anything different for garnish?

Tequila is good too with a little mescal, agave syrup, and a homemade bitters with a jalapeño kicker.

Top Bottom