What's new

Any rum snobs?

Somehow just found this sub forum. How could I miss it?!

I pretty much love all spirits but rum is my go to. I prefer sipping a good aged rum but would never turn down a rum based cocktail. Currently I have about 30 bottles at the house, after making a concerted effort to stop buying and only consume what I already have. I don't have a favorite but I definitely have favorites based on style. Anyone else have this "problem?"

I like good rums for sipping. My current favorite is Plantation Barbados Rum.
If you like sipping rum and haven't tried it, you really should.

The Plantation Barbados is great and pretty cheap too. In fact, I really like all the Plantation bottles I've tried. I am a sucker for a good Barbados rum. A bottle of Doorly's at the local Total Wine is only $15, which is insane.

Rum is my go to, straight or mixed.
Mixed I like Mojitos, Cuba Libres and of course Dark & Stormys.
For sipping I like it on the rocks, my favorite right now is Appleton Estate 21 yr. Its also hard to beat the price for a bottle of Zaya 12 yr at Costco, good rum.

The Appleton Estate is a fine one indeed. I was actually surprised at how sweet it is, especially compared to the 12 yr, which is one of my all time favorites. My current sipping go to is a bottle of Havana Club Seleccion I got through a friend of a friend. For rum purposes alone I'm looking forward to normalized relations with Cuba.

$kraken-rum.png

Diplomatico was my gateway. I actually prefer the Reserva with the orange label a little more. The Exclusiva is a little too sweet for me these days. And as much as I might like a few shots of cough syrup or airplane fuel, losing your wits in style with a fine rum is better. Plus, I consumed all manner of alcoholic filth in college. Lots of rough decision making then...

The only rum I've really enjoyed straight was Alnwick Rum I picked up on a summer trip to Northumberland. Wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. Mount Gay was okay but generally I dowse my rum in coke or cocktails.

My goal of reducing my bottle count was thwarted yesterday. My wife invited folks over for my birthday and I wound up getting four bottles of rum and three bottles of various types of whiskey. I think my favorite is a bottle of Flor de Cana 18 and some Powers Irish whiskey.

I love: sailor jerry, captain Morgan private stock, and kraken. in that order....but its been almost a year since my last drink. never really got into the more fancy rums....might have to try some eventually.

Any with the number 151 is usually pretty good in my experience. There is another that comes in a cloth bag that ain't to bad either. And then there are the local made artisan ones that are really excellent.

Top Bottom